belt snapped 2.0 tdi

John Clutton

Reaction score
belt snapped and no power steering and battery light on. had a look and there isnt any belts at all. i drive home about 1/2 a mile. have i finished my car??

Aux belt probably, if you drove home & other symptoms point to this, shouldn't be engine issue, just needs new aux belt fitted & hopefully not a tensioner too.

Need to see pics tbh, video to see whats going on, did an S4 aux & tensioner last time & that was fun.

Front end doesnt need to come of, just loosen lock carrier drop it forward & gives you room to get to tensioner etc.

That's a fair price indeed.

Reactions: John Clutton
Front end doesnt need to come of, just loosen lock carrier drop it forward & gives you room to get to tensioner etc.

That's a fair price indeed.
thanks again for your advice, it sure set my mind at rest. cheers

Reactions: Dan_G
It’s a bit of pain in the **** to do, but if you’re happy getting mucky hands and arms, losing some knuckle skin and dropping the belt off the pulleys, a lot, it’s relatively simple to do yourself. I did mine and I’m not that accomplished with a spanner (had to borrow an 18mm).

You don’t need to take the front end off. Garage won’t for sure.

OEM Belts cost £16 ish and there are lots of YouTube vids to guide you.

Reactions: John Clutton
got my car back :) 1 more issue. air con compressor needs replacing :-( any idea what money its gonna cost me for the part? is it worth getting a second hand one?