Back after a blast with an E46 M3!

MOE-A3

AUDI MAN
Reaction score
Hey guys, back after a long time and since have sold my A3 3.2. A guy flew over all the way from Guernsey to take it! Still miss that DSG box .:ermm:

Anyway after a brief stint with a E46 M3 (which was fantastic by the way) im looking at picking up a newer S3 8P. Just want first hand reviews on ownership, performance and also how it compares to an A3 3.2. I am interested in both DSG and manual too.

Also what would be options that you recommend i look for in the car as well as why you like it.

Thanks everyone! its good to be coming back to Audi!

what yr are you looking for?

Options I would say are a must are RNS-E, Bluetooth, and Multi Function Flat Bottom Steering Wheel.

Don't be put of an S3 that doesn't have the option you want as most can be easily retrofitted.

I got my S3 in October and have loved every minute of it. The drive is nice and refined, and the power in stock configuration is strong and steady. Out of the box its a great sports car, and it has plenty of potential. For example they are 260bhp stock, and Revo Stage 1 map takes it to 305bhp. The power difference is noticeable and pulls strong from 2800rpm.

Anyway after a brief stint with a E46 M3 (which was fantastic by the way) im looking at picking up a newer S3 8P. Just want first hand reviews on ownership, performance and also how it compares to an A3 3.2. I am interested in both DSG and manual too.

Also what would be options that you recommend i look for in the car as well as why you like it.

Thanks everyone! its good to be coming back to Audi!

I've had mine since '08,and reliability has been excellent.

Good build quality,fit and finish.

Definitely faster than a 3.2 ,but not by much from stock,but the engine has an enormous amount of potential,and getting 360bhp from it is relatively cheap,and easy to do,without affecting reliability.

If you're buying one,you need a full service history,bills etc if possible,and more so if the car has been modified in any way.

I wouldn't see mapping etc as a reason not to buy,as most of who do tend to look after our cars very well indeed,but you need proof of that.
Look also to see that any service items due,such as Haldex,cam follower,cam belt etc etc have been done.

can't comment on any of the other stuff you ask about as I have a diesel and not the S3 but I'd deffo recommend the DSG box...

How come you got rid of the E46, if you don't mind me asking? I'm still trying persuade my mum to get me insured on hers, it's such an incredible car!!

Rs4 buckets if you can find one with them. Doesn't need any explanation apart from just look at them!

I have the buckets, flat bottom wheel and rnse in my 8p s3, took a while to find one with that spec but was worth the wait and premium! Lol

I've got a 60 plate black edition S3 SB.

Performance wise, mines stock and I still think it's rapid. Really good in all weather conditions and you can use all of the power pretty much all of the time.

So far it's been very reliable, apart from the blocked rear washer jet problem that a lot of people seem to have. I'd say if you budget £500 ish for service MOT each year that should cover the costs, apart from brakes, cam belt or major service. I get around 20ish mpg round town and very high twenties to mid thirty on a run.

One option I um and ah about all the time is the DSG box. I've got manual but sometimes really fancy the DSG. I've got RNSE and the Bose sounds, really nice. Alcantara upholstery is good too, not too cold in winter and not too hot in Summer.

You seen any you fancy the look of? You looking to buy through a main dealer or private?

Sorry for replying so late! Good to hear from you guys.. Id probably be looking at a manual this time however as they seem to be a lot cheaper. And most probably private sale, although any good offers from a main dealer will be considered. Couple that im interested in:

Audi S3 Quattro 3dr 2.0

Audi S3 Quattro 3dr 2.0

Audi S3 Quattro 3dr 2.0 - This one is more expensive but is newer and i believe is the facelifted model?

And how well do these cars handle the mileage?

Regards,

My DSG S3 is my first Audi or German car ever! I came to it from a modified from new Subaru WRX. The Audi wins hands down for me by far. More refined, more rapid in terms of the DSG, etc and I just prefer it. The Subaru was fast but I had taken the mod's too far for a decent every day driver. The S3 is just awesome with only a Shark Stage1 and DSG map.
You wont be disappointed! ;)

The last one looks too cheap for a facelift? Great cars with awesome power and traction ! Good luck with your hunt :)

As many options as you can, for one it will make the car stand out & be more desirable come resale :) The DSG box is amazing, first auto box I've ever had and i think its brilliant, id like to get a shark stage 1 map and a few other little bits & see how i get on, really wouldn't mind going to stage 2+ though just to see how many porsches i could obliterate!