B5 suspension v noisy!

BigJC

Reaction score
My car has recently started making horrible creaking sounds with the front suspension, it still handles fine but sounds like the front is about to drop off!!

Any ideas?

Mine seems to be doing that only over speed bumps think dampers are on there way out.

4 per side?? I take it spray grease isn't a cheap fix?! Is it an easy bolt off/on job? I must confess to not having had a look yet.... it's much easier to ask on here than venture out into the cold and wet.

To minorly help with the problem, spray grease will help. You should find if the control arms get wet they will start knocking, so if you wash the car, spray grease on to it after. But get it fixed asap lol!! :)

Yup, one of my N/S balljoints is knocking like Joan Collins at a rugby team convention.

Mine is the same. Horrible creaking from n/s front. Garage has so far spent 3-4 hours! at £35 + VAT per hour! trying to identify the source of the creak. copper greased everything including the roll bar mountings. Still no fix & Still driving me mad. It makes my once 40k car sound like a knackered mk2 fiesta I once had ;-). I'm planning on buying all control arms as mentioned and doing it myself in the hope that it will solve the problem as they're not too expensive... Sort of. I'll let you know.

i gotta do my control arms, im gonna do the suspension top mounts too as i heardthese can sometimes go.

yes I too thought that, I did the top mounts undoing the three bolts and droping the whole leg, greased, but still that damn creak. aghhhh.

never really saw the idea behind replacing the whole control arm when it is only the bush that is ********. surely replacing the OEM bushes with a decent set of polyurethane ones would not only improve handling but longevity also. Powerflex do a full set front and back for the a4q for £180.

replacing the OEM bushes would be good but having the ball joint fixed in to track control arm ..makes the problem.... replace the bush then 2 months down the line the ball joint goes!!