Avant Tailgate key lock removal - help needed

74eldiablo

Reaction score
One of number plate lights has failed and both the chocolate screws have rounded off from what i can see through the nasty lenses is that they both need replacing.

Yesterday i set about the task of getting the handle/numberplate lights panel off, with help from Total Technik's excellent guides on how to remove the tailgate panel and screws that hold the light holder on it was an easy job.

Here's the bit where i need help, i cannot for the life of me work out how to get the key lock barrel out of the handle/numberplate light handle, i disconnected all the electrics and the cable it was mighty crusty in there too the black (or what i think should be) panel is now a grey/white crusty mess that will need to be replaced along with the lights.

I tried gently tapping inwards but that didnt work, i then got waterpump pliers to try turn the whole mechanism but that just looked as though i would break the lock .
In all fairness i can live without the key lock but dont want any "errors" should i delete the lock entirely.

any help would be greatly appreciated as the equivalent of the MOT is looming soon and it will be a fail for such a minor problem, audi sure dont make any jobs easy to work on.

many thanks

Just drill the heads off the screws that hold the lights, once the light is out you can grip the screw shank with long nosed pliers and undo them.

ok thanks for the reply i'll do that then, i really wanted to take off the entire thing to at least paint over the corroded horrible colour it is now, guess i wont be doing that :)