Autowatch Ghost

I won’t be exploring the CarPlay install any further today: too busy with day to day stuff around the house.

@Dippy , no insurance discount for Ghost as it’s not Thatcham-approved.

To me moving the MMI wheel around to move the selection on the screen takes longer and more concentration compared to a touch, but my last few cars have all been the same.
Yes, I can see that point of view too.
Since, unless the situation changes, my next car will be a Tesla 3, I'll need to get used to using a touch screen!

Thanks Jeff. I'm starting to think that insurance discounts are an urban myth :)

Yes, I can see that point of view too.
Since, unless the situation changes, my next car will be a Tesla 3, I'll need to get used to using a touch screen!
@Dippy I seem to recall asking you previously if you’d explored the Tesla. Have you now done so? I recently sat in a Tesla Model 3 at the Bluewater dealership a few weeks ago. The interior architecture is very different from current car design, which is fine; no doubt I’d get used to it. But once I had adjusted everything to get the seating position correct, I realised there was a major problem. The Model 3 has quite a long roof and low windscreen header rail -almost a panoramic roof in reverse. So when I sit in the car at the desired position and look straight ahead, I’m not seeing the road ahead but staring at the sun visors. That tells me that however good a car it is, it’ll be no use to me.

I’ll start a new thread in a couple of days to set out my thoughts on the CarPlay unit.

@Dippy I seem to recall asking you previously if you’d explored the Tesla. Have you now done so? I recently sat in a Tesla Model 3 at the Bluewater dealership a few weeks ago. The interior architecture is very different from current car design, which is fine; no doubt I’d get used to it. But once I had adjusted everything to get the seating position correct, I realised there was a major problem. The Model 3 has quite a long roof and low windscreen header rail -almost a panoramic roof in reverse. So when I sit in the car at the desired position and look straight ahead, I’m not seeing the road ahead but staring at the sun visors. That tells me that however good a car it is, it’ll be no use to me.
Good to know Jeff. I have not investigated at all. All I know is that when it comes to replace my S5 it will be to a full electric car and at the moment only the Tesla 3 performance ticks all my boxes (on paper). But chances are I'll be keeping my S5 for quite a few years yet.

Good to know Jeff. I have not investigated at all. All I know is that when it comes to replace my S5 it will be to a full electric car and at the moment only the Tesla 3 performance ticks all my boxes (on paper). But chances are I'll be keeping my S5 for quite a few years yet.
@Dippy , well if you plan to keep the S5 a while yet, that's a pretty good reason to get a Ghost fitted, even though your car is garaged.

I think I will after my GAP insurance expires.
What's your experience of it so far? I read that the first version requires that you press a sequence of buttons before you can start the car, but the second version now works via BT to a smartphone for authentication. How's that working?

Yes, I have a button-press sequence code to input: in effect, a PIN. I also have the facility to download an app to my phone that allows the Ghost to detect when I’m in the car and allow me to start it without inputting the PIN. But I won’t be using it; it’s a bit self-defeating when the detection range is about ten metres.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you concerned about the risk of someone stealing your car because your phone is within 10m?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you concerned about the risk of someone stealing your car because your phone is within 10m?
In a sense, yes. If the phone is within ten metres and the Ghost app is running, the car can be started without the PIN. So if I download the app and activate it, I have to remember every time to shut the app and/or locate my phone somewhere in the house that is more than ten metres away from the car. I can do that but it’s an extra faff in exchange for the limited (and arguably pointless and self-defeating) “benefit” of being able to start the car myself without inputting my PIN. It seems more sensible to me that entering my PIN becomes the standard routine.

Reactions: mister.c., RS5 JON and HOGG
I see. I hadn't really thought about the at home scenario. Maybe they could put an option on the app so that you need to acknowledge a request to disable Ghost, a bit like these "give me a push" type security measures we get these days.