Facelift Auto wipers

Scotty123

Reaction score
Checked the manual to no avail, never had auto wipers before but still cannot understand how they work. For example on the stalk why is there one droplet then none, then three, I'm sure it's a stupid question I would just like some clarification cheers in advance.

The slide switch on the wiper arm makes the wipers more or less sensitive to damp/wet conditions. The actual wiper arms has flick wipe when you push it down. Pushing it up gives auto-wipers, then on slow and on fast.

Reactions: deanshaw24, RSS-S3, richinsoton and 1 other person
Dave is correct.
And additionally, if you have both the wipers and lights set to Auto (that's how I leave them all the time), then if it's raining the lights come on - neat.

Reactions: Scottyg
I know on my car (not got the S3 yet) the rear one wipes as well when I reverse if the front ones have been on.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, ChivsBang and Scottyg
I find the auto wipers overly sensitive even on their least sensitive setting :-(

Anyone know any tricks to desensitize them a bit more?

I haven't really found that. Although it is sometimes not too consistant.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Dave is correct.
And additionally, if you have both the wipers and lights set to Auto (that's how I leave them all the time), then if it's raining the lights come on - neat.

The rear is not auto is it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ChivsBang the rear is automatic in the sense that if the front ones have been on then the rear ones will engage when you reverse, as @Tom.H mentions. Although i think it has to be on the "flick down" setting...

Never liked the auto wiper sensors on either my previous golf or current A3, I have them turned off in the MMI. I've always found them very inconsistent.

I always turn the auto wipers off before starting the car when the screen is frosty.

The wipers won't go in the morning until you move them once manually anyway, so there's no danger in the frost / ice.

Reactions: Ormesome
The wipers won't go in the morning until you move them once manually anyway, so there's no danger in the frost / ice.
Are you sure?
I'm sure that if I drive away with a wet windscreen the wipers go after a moment or two. But do need to be moving and in practice I would usually give them a flip before I start.

Are you sure?
I'm sure that if I drive away with a wet windscreen the wipers go after a moment or two. But do need to be moving and in practice I would usually give them a flip before I start.

We must have posted at the same time! pretty sure, as per my post above yours, its above 10mph that they are activated or if they are manually engaged. I guess to stop incidents like frosted windscreen etc...

In the Owner's Manual it says that the windscreen wipers will be activated automatically in the rain as long as the vehicle has been moving faster than approx. 4 km/h at least once. The higher the sensitivity level for the rain sensor (ie the further the switch is to the right, the sooner the windscreen wipers react to moisture on the windscreen.

I may not have my new FL A3 yet but I do have a copy of the Owner's Manual!!

Perhaps it has changed at some point but I'm pretty sure mine don't go at all until I activate them once on a journey.

Perhaps it has changed at some point but I'm pretty sure mine don't go at all until I activate them once on a journey.
I assume the auto wipers will not work unless you actually move the switch to the auto position anyway which would mean the same thing.

But the discussion assumes the wipers are permanently in auto?
Mine def start without touching the stick.

But the discussion assumes the wipers are permanently in auto?
Mine def start without touching the stick.
Do you leave your wiper stalk always in the Auto position? The stalk has 5 positions. Push down - Single flick wipe. Wipers off, Push stalk up Auto, Slow wipe and Fast wipe. If you deactivate the Auto mode using the MMI screen then the Auto position becomes a normal timed intermittent.

Had no issue with auto wipers, yes you have to adjust the sensitivity now and again but they tend to do a good job.

Anyone noticed that they have changed the jets on the FL? On my PFL A3 I had to hold the stalk forward or back to spray. In my FL S3 I just pull or push for a split second and it sorts itself out.

Had no issue with auto wipers, yes you have to adjust the sensitivity now and again but they tend to do a good job.

Anyone noticed that they have changed the jets on the FL? On my PFL A3 I had to hold the stalk forward or back to spray. In my FL S3 I just pull or push for a split second and it sorts itself out.

Yeah similar discussion on an adjacent thread. The water bottle isn't very large so I'm glad that I now have control over the headlamp washers too or it would empty even quicker. In previous Audi's I've had, they went at the first skoosh after headlights came on then every 4th or 5th pull on the stalk whether you wanted it or not.

Yeah, mine are in auto all the time. The wipers come on even at the standstill on mine, was sat on the drive the other morning just about to head off for work and they just came on and got rid of the water on the screen.

Never had an issue with mine. Always set to auto. Compared to my wife's 09 focus they work like a charm.
Have had them off recently due to them being over sensitive to the extra salt on the roads thus then getting on the windscreen.

I find the auto wipers overly sensitive even on their least sensitive setting :-(

Anyone know any tricks to desensitize them a bit more?

not sure if its same as the 8p but you can change the windscreen type with vcds ,also the headlight sensor ,sensitivity can be adjusted as well to coding that isnt even listed as with regular coding its always 10/20/30% more sensitive whereas you can make it less sensitive for the auto lights by upto 90%

An example of why it's a good idea to leave your auto wipers set to the on position - they were set to off here
(apologies for the background music!)