Auto lights .. seem to come on too soon

Rupert49

Reaction score
On my S3 saloon I leave the light switch on 'auto' all the time. The thing is, the dipped beam headlights seem to activate long before I would have turned them on myself. The driving lights already give other drivers a clue that I'm out there, so I get a bit self conscious when I see that my main lights are on when hardly anyone else's are.

I've checked the settings via the MMI and made the assumption that 'late' (as opposed to 'early') means 'when the light levels are darker' (as opposed to 'it's started to get dark but there's still plenty of light in the sky'). However, I often pull away from my house after 9.00am and the lights are burning brightly once again. Even turning the switch off and then back on again doesn't tell the car that, actually old chap, thanks for your help and all that, but I really don't need the lights on at this time!

Any ideas anyone?

Assuming you're in the UK it's dark or at least gloomy pretty much all of the time - they are probably just doing their job. I wouldn't worry until the days get a bit brighter.

Fair 'nuff Nicky .. UK it is and yes, the days have been quite gloomy, but sometimes I set off into the sun and it seems like for ever before the sensor realises that it's bright enough to drive around without the lights on!

Fair 'nuff Nicky .. UK it is and yes, the days have been quite gloomy, but sometimes I set off into the sun and it seems like for ever before the sensor realises that it's bright enough to drive around without the lights on!

If it makes you feel any better I think they come on too early on the late function as well, but I guess you can argue it's better to be seen and I don't let it bother me :)

Reactions: SJ43 and Ghost
Don't quote me on this but I think there is a setting somewhere in the VCDS coding that you can change that makes the lights come on earlier or later. Could be wrong though

I'm sure there is a setting for the light sensitivity within the car setup menu somewhere. You don't need VCDS.

Correct, we have a Fiesta with auto lights and they come on way way earlier that my Audi, and there's no adjustment..

Completely agree on this. I have mine Set on late but even on a reasonably bright morning they are on.

I hate as I want brighter drls instead.

Just been to look, cold and damp out there!!! Medium is OK for me.

Here you go: