Auto lights and wipers

Alex_007

Reaction score
Hello

I've had my a3 a few months now and have only just tried the auto lights and wipers

Well the auto lights stay on all the time and the auto wipers are not working properly

Is that related ?

I have the auto Folding dimming mirrors which all work fine .

Cheers

Have just fine some googling , and read a story about gel pads that go on to the sensor and that when people have windscreens replaced that the fitters tend to forget about putting new gel pads in.

I just seen pics without the gel pad and also with the gel pad, mine clearly does not have the gel pad so maybe that's the fault .

Anyone know how to fit the gel pad, is there a DIY thing for this anywhere ?

Cheers

I have fitted one on a MK4 golf but not sure how similar they are - I will have a look at mine and get back to you tomorrow!

Reactions: Alex_007
I have fitted one on a MK4 golf but not sure how similar they are - I will have a look at mine and get back to you tomorrow!

Hi there and thank you, I've just managed to take it apart and get to it .

It's confusing the hell out if me now .

Looking at the windscreen from the outside does the sensor look black or clear ?

I've just looked at the gel pad that I just bought and I thought that it would be black as I see another thread with pics with and without the gel pad, so basically looking at the windscreen from the outside the pic with the gel pad was black, and the pic without gel pad was clear transparent kind of thing if that makes sense?

Ha I'm sorry if none of this makes sense.

I'm confused .

Thanks

Right there was a gel pad in there already, I pulled out the sensor and it was filthy and there a fair amount of condensation , I've cleaned it all and put it back and the wipers are now working perfectly ( tested with hose ) . Whether or not it has cured the auto lights staying on situation well I won't know till it's daylight, im assuming the wipers and lights use the same sensor.

At least I can get my 16 quid back for the gel pad.

Glad you got it sorted Alex... A bit of panicing there by the looks of it, youve practically been a 1 man thread here

Reactions: hendry10 and Alex_007
Glad you got it sorted Alex... A bit of panicing there by the looks of it, youve practically been a 1 man thread here

Yeah i feel lonely here lol

Glad that it's all working now though

Thanks

Reactions: jphc
Just an update for anyone who has come across the same problem.

I've just got up and And tested my auto lights and they are no longer on in the day time and work perfectly and also the wipers now work perfectly .

So basically all I done was take off rear view mirror, then removed a round silver clip that holds in the sensor on the windscreen , I then Pulled out the sensor and gave it a good clean and also wiped down the gel pad which you will see once the sensor has been removed .

I then put it all back together and now everything works as it should .