auto diming mirrior

neil ratcliffe

coupe rebuild master
Reaction score
hi folks a visit to a local salvge yard i found an auto diming mirrior and the loom. got it home only to find that my loom isnt sutiable. so iam going to have to look out for a wiring loom with bose sound syatem.

Attachments

• Picture 3382.jpg
    Picture 3382.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 3383.jpg
    Picture 3383.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 75
you will most likely find the wiring isn't present in the orange plug in your car assuming your car doesn't or hasn't had the mirror previously. Also the boss on the windscreen will most likely be different as most cars with auto mirror also have the rain sensor. I have done this retrofit and if you're prepared to have the correct screen fitted then your best option will be to unpick the wires you need from that loom and run them down the drivers side A pillar as the connections are to the power control unit which lives in the dash to the right of the steering column which means that the wires you have will reach the area they need to. I have the connections wrote down somewhere if you take this on.
If you're only interested in getting the mirror working then you could change the boss on the screen but it will require the correct glue to fix it to your screen and you will need the breaker to let you cut it off their screen.

you will most likely find the wiring isn't present in the orange plug in your car assuming your car doesn't or hasn't had the mirror previously. Also the boss on the windscreen will most likely be different as most cars with auto mirror also have the rain sensor. I have done this retrofit and if you're prepared to have the correct screen fitted then your best option will be to unpick the wires you need from that loom and run them down the drivers side A pillar as the connections are to the power control unit which lives in the dash to the right of the steering column which means that the wires you have will reach the area they need to. I have the connections wrote down somewhere if you take this on.
If you're only interested in getting the mirror working then you could change the boss on the screen but it will require the correct glue to fix it to your screen and you will need the breaker to let you cut it off their screen.
the boss on the screen is the same the mirrior ive got does not have rain sensor i had one of them mirrior a while back so making it fit isint a probem as i have the full roof loom.

Well having the right boss will certainly make things easier, looking at the pictures of the orange plugs it does look like the new roof loom has quite a few extra wires, I'm assuming the donor car must have had other extras like lights over the sun visors too. If you're going to fit it all properly you will need to run wires from the power control module across behind the dash and to the orange plug. I still maintain that you would be better off unwrapping the loom you have and removing the wires you need and making a sub loom to run directly to the source. Hats off to you if you do it the hard way though.

iam just going to change thew whole loom mate not going to mess about with finding power wires ect just as quick and easy to change the whole wiring loom.

That's dedication right there! make sure you get us some pics as you go! we all love pics.

thank you will do just need to find a b7 with a bose system.wont be the first time of pulling a a4 wiring loom its so easy about 45 minutes work job done.