Audio question A3 sedan

dakidakov

Reaction score
I've bought myself a nice Audi A3 sedan ( in UAE ) and as every new owner, I am spending the week until delivery in watching videos and looking at random photographs of the car. One thing caught my attention though.

The car I bought was a display model in the showroom and I remember seeing three speakers in each front door, two in each rear door and a dash mounted speaker. Now, I read there are 8, 10 and 14 speaker configurations. So where does mine fit?

It hasn't got a sub on the rear parcel shelf (I'll check the spare wheel well once I get the car ) but it's got the dash speaker. It's not the 8 speaker system, because it has more than that, but it's not the 14 and 10 either. What's going on? :D

Easy way to tell

Look in the boot first for the sub under the floor. If it's there then you've either got the Audi sound system or b&o. If not, it's the bog standard system.

If it's there then check the front doors and see if the main bottom speaker has b&o written on it and a silver surround.

The centre speaker grill is fitted to all cars regardless of sound system, whether it has a speaker actually behind it is what makes the difference!

The sedan doesn't have the sub fitted under the floor but under the rear parcel shelf...

Reactions: PembsA3
I've probably got the standard 8 speaker system then. Not too bugged about that. What I'm bugged about is having hollow mid-range speaker grills next to the door handles :D

It's weird, because the car is fully specced. It's got the brown Nappa leather with sports seat, the full 7 inch MMI, quattro 1.8 TFSI with the dual clutch. I'll still check the boot when I get the car, because Middle Eastern versions of European and American cars are sometimes very very strange. I had a Kia Mohave with a JBL sound system when it was ''Infinity'' in the rest of the world, including Korea.

Thanks for your replies :)

The car I bought was a display model in the showroom and I remember seeing three speakers in each front door, two in each rear door and a dash mounted speaker. Now, I read there are 8, 10 and 14 speaker configurations. So where does mine fit?

I have the 14 speaker B&O system and only have two speakers in my front doors so don't know why you have three. Where are they located exactly?

FYI, the 14 speakers of the B&O are: two in each front door, two in each rear door (or panel for the 3-door), a tweeter in each corner, dash-top centre speaker and sub in the boot :)

Easy way to tell

Look in the boot first for the sub under the floor. If it's there then you've either got the Audi sound system or b&o. If not, it's the bog standard system.

If it's there then check the front doors and see if the main bottom speaker has b&o written on it and a silver surround.

Or, while you're looking at the sub, you could just see if it has "Bang & Olufsen" written on it :p :D

From what I have seen:

Normal Sound System = Matt Front Speaker grill surrounds.
Audi Sound System = Piano Black Front Speaker grill surrounds.
B&O Sound System = Illuminated Front Speaker grill surrounds.

Pretty sure mine doesn't have piano black surrounds anywhere...

Not sure on others but the B&O shows up on the MMI as "B&O" when in the sound settings.

Attachments

• 12388630565_eeb56cf18c_t.jpg
    12388630565_eeb56cf18c_t.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 12432237004_8188676510_t.jpg
    12432237004_8188676510_t.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 12431756415_1dcb2f1639_t.jpg
    12431756415_1dcb2f1639_t.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 12388630565_eeb56cf18c_n.jpg
    12388630565_eeb56cf18c_n.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I have the 14 speaker B&O system and only have two speakers in my front doors so don't know why you have three. Where are they located exactly?

My mistake :) I count three on the front doors with the tweeters in the corners. The car should be delivered on Wednesday and I'll finally know :D I secretly hope for a hidden sub in the trunk even though it's the sedan. Middle Eastern car configurations are super strange sometimes.