Audi Sound System No Subwoofer settings

Wezango

Reaction score
Hey everyone. As you may know I recently bought myself an A4. First impression = Audi Sound System is awful and I think that the main reason is lack of subwoofer control. Before A4, I had A3 with Bang&Olufsen system and when I bought it, sound was awful as well because of the missing subwoofer control. After lots of conversation with dealership, they finally updated my MMI and Bang&Olufsen became something magical with sub control.

So, does anybody here has a subwoofer control in their A4 with Audi Sound System? I suppose Audi removed it on cars MY2017-18, but did anybody updated their MMI and got the subwoofer control? Right now *** sounds worse than my old Seat Leon with 4 speaker system :/

Impossible to get sub control for our sound system....believe me I tried all sorts with the dealer to get this when my car was under warranty! Finally managed to get the latest MMI update recently and it's still not there.

Something you can look at, is the plug and play front speaker upgrade, discussed here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-sound-system-speaker-upgrade.423230/

I received my speakers yesterday, haven't had chance to fit them yet, but supposed to make a huge improvement for a very easy job - I have always thought the reason it sounds poor is due to the dash speakers, they sound far too bright, tinny and over-powering. This upgrade should fix that - They've had glowing reviews so far, hoping for the same when I have chance to fit them!

Impossible to get sub control for our sound system....believe me I tried all sorts with the dealer to get this when my car was under warranty! Finally managed to get the latest MMI update recently and it's still not there.

Something you can look at, is the plug and play front speaker upgrade, discussed here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-sound-system-speaker-upgrade.423230/

I received my speakers yesterday, haven't had chance to fit them yet, but supposed to make a huge improvement for a very easy job - I have always thought the reason it sounds poor is due to the dash speakers, they sound far too bright, tinny and over-powering. This upgrade should fix that - They've had glowing reviews so far, hoping for the same when I have chance to fit them!

Thank you. I'll definitely look into that. For me, it's mostly lack of bass. I guess after tiny A3 with nice subwoofer that's the biggest difference. I don't really wanna do all the extra subwoofer with amplifier kind of thing. I was hoping that it could be solved via software update, but seems like Audi doesn't care that their 10 speaker setup sounds like Dacia Duster. I really believe that it's the lack of that control that ruins everything. Because when my A3 was updated and subwoofer control appeared in the settings, it was set to minimum level.

Also I saw that on B8 Audi Sound System some people had much better results from subwoofer just by changing polarity of connection. Don't know if it can help on B9. Maybe I'll try.

@gregpot2000 - can you post up / PM me details you used to get these ordered, please? I've a 2020MY A5 Sportback.

@Wezango - My last A5 Sportback, a 2018MY had the sub under the boot floor and the sound was poor (speaking as someone in the audio industry). However, not as woeful as a 2014MY Jaguar XF R-Sport! My lastest 2020MY A5 Sportback and A4 Avant 2021MY no longer has a sub and the sound quality is far better. No where near a B&O system, but far better than with the bass in the boot. It still has 'presence' but not as bad as the 2018MY A5 with a sub.

Over in the AudiWorld forums they've been updating MMI firmware for sometime themselves. Whether this is possible on our A4's, and whether this would bring back the sub woofer control I don't know.

Over in the AudiWorld forums they've been updating MMI firmware for sometime themselves. Whether this is possible on our A4's, and whether this would bring back the sub woofer control I don't know.
As far as I know, Audi added subwoofer control to some A4's with B&O system, not even all of them. I'll keep searching if there is an update for ***.

There definitely was a firmware version that puts back the woofer control, again it is on the AudiWorld forum. However from what I understand it didn't really improve much....

There definitely was a firmware version that puts back the woofer control, again it is on the AudiWorld forum. However from what I understand it didn't really improve much....
I hope there is a TSB for that in EU. My warranty expires in June, so hopefully I'll found it till then.

Pretty certain this was only for b and o...wasn't a particular update as such. It was just restored in a later version
Believe me I tried all sorts under warranty to get this update thinking it would work. But simple never been available for our cars. Even when I have had the latest version updated in past few weeks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Pretty certain this was only for b and o...wasn't a particular update as such. It was just restored in a later version
Believe me I tried all sorts under warranty to get this update thinking it would work. But simple never been available for our cars. Even when I have had the latest version updated in past few weeks

Yeah, seems like it. Also apparently because my car is originally from UK, it has only 2 years of warranty in Ireland.
I guess I’ll just put some basic Alpine Swe-815 and call it a day. Battery in the trunk should make it much easier than in my previous cars.

After some time messing with settings, I found almost ideal one for myself. I knew stock subwoofer could do pretty good if it had that sub setting in MMI, but now I found a workaround. Those might not sound good for everyone, but I am quite happy with it.
With that settings you have enough high and mid range coming from front speakers and a lot of bass coming from subwoofer.
p.s. rear passengers might have a headache, but who cares :sweatsmile:

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-30_23-09-37.jpg
    photo_2021-01-30_23-09-37.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 687
  • photo_2021-01-30_23-09-45.jpg
    photo_2021-01-30_23-09-45.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 600
  • photo_2021-01-30_23-09-47.jpg
    photo_2021-01-30_23-09-47.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 627
Reactions: mulder85

It is unlikely that a dealership will ever update the MMI system especially if it's just to add a 'feature'. Updates like that have to approved by Audi in Germany first and unless there is a actual fault they will not give this...

Yes...I understand all this...let's just say they were some perceived faults that would have led them down the path of software updating...all this was 2 years ago.....
It was all a moot point anyway, I finally got updated to the latest mmi version 2 weeks ago to try and get the Google sorted....it didn't sort the Google, and also didn't give me the sub control. So everything I pushed for 2 years ago was pointless anyway. The software to give sub control for non b and o simply doesn't exist

It is unlikely that a dealership will ever update the MMI system especially if it's just to add a 'feature'. Updates like that have to approved by Audi in Germany first and unless there is a actual fault they will not give this...

Well they updated my A3's MMI and amplifier software because of missing subwoofer settings (B&O). You just need to contact Audi support in your country first and then they will send an email to your dealership, asking them to update your MMI.
But yeah, there is no update for non B&O systems.

I did say unlikely, you found a very co-operative dealership. Maybe things have changed but you are the first I've heard of persuading a dealership to do this. I am not alone with this either as many have stated they've been unable to get their dealership to update any software when it isn't subject to either a TSB or a recall..

The thing that makes the biggest difference to the sound quality in the B9 is actually the source data. I just wish everyone would stop using every music file format other than FLAC. The difference between MPEG3 and FLAC is night and day, also set the volume at around two thirds to get a decent sound stage; at this level the bass will make your rear view mirror shake once the treble and bass have been fine tuned to your individual taste.

The thing that makes the biggest difference to the sound quality in the B9 is actually the source data. I just wish everyone would stop using every music file format other than FLAC. The difference between MPEG3 and FLAC is night and day, also set the volume at around two thirds to get a decent sound stage; at this level the bass will make your rear view mirror shake once the treble and bass have been fine tuned to your individual taste.
I don’t know… I tried FLAC in my A3 with B&O sound pack and even that didn’t make much difference. Don’t think it will be better on worse sound system like ***. Maybe I have ears of an 80 year old in my late 20’s from from all that loud music I listened :D

Thank you. I'll definitely look into that. For me, it's mostly lack of bass. I guess after tiny A3 with nice subwoofer that's the biggest difference. I don't really wanna do all the extra subwoofer with amplifier kind of thing. I was hoping that it could be solved via software update, but seems like Audi doesn't care that their 10 speaker setup sounds like Dacia Duster. I really believe that it's the lack of that control that ruins everything. Because when my A3 was updated and subwoofer control appeared in the settings, it was set to minimum level.

Also I saw that on B8 Audi Sound System some people had much better results from subwoofer just by changing polarity of connection. Don't know if it can help on B9. Maybe I'll try.
If you replace the subwoofer speaker with another speaker that has at least a 50Hz low range and at least 90Db SPL you will find that the bass in your car is transformed. Also, remember to put some polyester fibre filling (same stuff that is in many pillows) in the sub box. Before screwing down the speaker, run a bead of silicone sealant around the aperture, let it go off for around 30 mins, then screw the new speaker into position. Your bass will be a lot louder, heavier and fill the car like it should have when it came out of the factory. Total cost, less than £40, I use a German speaker manufacture called Rainbow, model SL-W6.2. You will need to slightly modify the enclosure with a stanley knife, and elongate the screw holes on the speaker with a 4.5mm drill bit. Total time to complete, including silicone half cure time, removal and replacement of enclosure approx 45mins.

If you replace the subwoofer speaker with another speaker that has at least a 50Hz low range and at least 90Db SPL you will find that the bass in your car is transformed. Also, remember to put some polyester fibre filling (same stuff that is in many pillows) in the sub box. Before screwing down the speaker, run a bead of silicone sealant around the aperture, let it go off for around 30 mins, then screw the new speaker into position. Your bass will be a lot louder, heavier and fill the car like it should have when it came out of the factory. Total cost, less than £40, I use a German speaker manufacture called Rainbow, model SL-W6.2. You will need to slightly modify the enclosure with a stanley knife, and elongate the screw holes on the speaker with a 4.5mm drill bit. Total time to complete, including silicone half cure time, removal and replacement of enclosure approx 45mins.
Nice! Any pictures on this?

Nice! Any pictures on this?
Sorry no, but it really is very easy and self evident, the results are worth the small amount of effort required for the improvement that it brings.

Reactions: KapB
I tried changing my front door speakers to the B&O speakers, it makes almost no difference.

So what I did was, instead of changing speakers/subwoofer like many of the more hardcore audiophiles here, I went for the much easier route.
I installed this into my A4.

Its a DSP.

Needless to say, the difference is night and day even with stock speakers setup.

My A4 is the 10 speaker A.S.S setup.
A.S.S = Audi Sound System

I can control each of the speakers individually and I raise the bass going to the front speakers to my preference.
Suffice to say, its a much faster sound improvement method for those normal audio listeners like me that just want a stronger bass going to the front of this sorry *** of a speaker in the A4 8W.

Reactions: muffindell
I tried changing my front door speakers to the B&O speakers, it makes almost no difference.

So what I did was, instead of changing speakers/subwoofer like many of the more hardcore audiophiles here, I went for the much easier route.

Its a DSP.

Needless to say, the difference is night and day even with stock speakers setup.

I can control each of the speakers individually and I raise the bass going to the front speakers to my preference.
Suffice to say, its a much faster sound improvement method for those normal audio listeners like me that just want a stronger bass going to the front of this sorry *** of a speaker in the A4 8W.
A DSP is certainly a good way to go, but here in the UK a suitable one is around £560, how much did you pay for yours?

A DSP is certainly a good way to go, but here in the UK a suitable one is around £560, how much did you pay for yours?
I paid SGD1500 (GBP800 at today's exchange rate) for the whole works.
- DSP
- Power cables
- Wiring harness

There is no splicing of wires. Those power cables and wiring harness that is included is designed to fit into the original quad-lock.

I took delivery of my Audi A3 Sportback 2 weeks ago which came with the Bang and Olufson, and I have to say I am extremely disappointed with it. I can't work out if the suboofer in the back is blown or if it's rattling the internals of the car. It sounds like the sub is farting on low frequencies. Coming from an M140 which had the Harmon Kardon, I expected the Bang and Olufson to at least be on par, but the HK blows it away.

Its a DSP.

I paid SGD1500 (GBP800 at today's exchange rate) for the whole works.
- DSP
- Power cables
- Wiring harness

There is no splicing of wires. Those power cables and wiring harness that is included is designed to fit into the original quad-lock.
Hi, may I know where you had your DSP bought and installed?