Audi rear bumper protection film

MB86

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m currently child proofing the S3 as we have a little one on the way soon.

We bought a pram already and when I tested it in the boot the first thing I thought was, getting it in and out of the car is going to wreck my rear bumper. I noticed Audi sell a rear bumper protection kit, which seems quite cheap and might just fit the bill. My question is, has anybody tried it at all, if so is it any good, and lastly how easy is it to install?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Have a kit here which I am gonna apply next week, seems easy enough. Goes on wet to you can slide it around.

IMG 2840 IMG 2839
IMG 2841 IMG 2842 IMG 2843

*also comes with a genuine 3M squeegee thingy which is not pictured.

Reactions: MB86
I have put the equivalent on my Golf - no dramas just mix it correctly with the supplied sachet and get it very wet so it slides in place (lay it flat first with backing on as a dry fit and place masking tape at edges as guides) then from side to side work the moisture and bubbles carefully out whilst keeping the surface tension with the squeegee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DJAlix and MB86
I sometimes have to carry a wheelchair in the boot and there is the same risk you have of scratching the bumper. I fitted the Audi boot mat that can be flipped out to cover the bumper when loading/unloading. It attaches to the 2 anchor points nearest the back of the car. Also useful if you have a dog.

It is this: https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zubehoer/p/loading-sill-protective-mat-8x0061190-9

Similar (cheaper) such mats/bumper protectors available elsewhere. Much more likely to protect against a ding from something sharp than plastic film.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I think I might just go for it, and maybe do the fold out flappy thing in addition. It’s not my actions that concern me, as I know I’ll be careful. It’s more if other people offer to get the pram from the boot, and then drag it over the bumper!

@DJAlix do you mind me asking where you got the kit from?

I got the kit for mine on ebay for a tenner, it was an audi dealer (can't remember which) but guessing they were just clearing them as they had excess stock. Applying the film took a while and still I didn't manage to get it perfect but happy enough with it given what I paid.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I might just go for it, and maybe do the fold out flappy thing in addition. It’s not my actions that concern me, as I know I’ll be careful. It’s more if other people offer to get the pram from the boot, and then drag it over the bumper!

@DJAlix do you mind me asking where you got the kit from?
Got my salesman to throw the kit in when buying the car.

I've done one or two of these bumper films, and if there's one suggestion I could make it would be to get it as wet as you can, and keep it that way until you're happy that it's in the right place and all the bubbles are out.

There isn't enough stuff in the dinky little spray bottle that Audi provide. Not by a long way.

Fill a clean trigger spray bottle (like the kind window cleaner comes in) with warm water and add a couple of drops of washing up liquid. No more than that, otherwise it'll be all bubbles when you shake it up. The washing up liquid is there to break the surface tension of the water so that it sheets and spreads instead of beading.

Spray the bumper as well as both sides of the film with copious amounts of the mixture before lowering the film onto the bumper, making sure that the paintwork is scrupulously clean first.

You're aiming to get everything so wet that given half the chance the film will slip straight off again by itself. It needs to be this way so that you can slide it into its final position without having to lift it and re-wet it and before starting to work the water out from underneath with the squeegee.

If you need to peel it off to relocate it at any time, you didn't use enough water in the first place.

I didn't use the supplied squeegee. I don't doubt that it's a very good thing, but its edge is a little bit hard and unforgiving and will grab the film and stretch it if you happen to catch a bit without quite enough water on.

I used a square of plastic about the same size as the squeegee but a bit thinner (so it was more flexible), and gaffer-taped a small piece of double-folded soft cotton cloth - a bit of one of Mrs P's worn-out Victoria's Secrets, I think - over the edge. That worked well. The cloth makes the edge softer, and obviously it gets wet and stays that way, helping to maintain the lubrication.

If you excuse the expression.

I'm trying to avoid the smutty analogies, but it isn't really possible so I'll just say it anyway.

Get it all as wet as you can, and keep it wet. If it looks as if it's beginning to dry out at all, stop and make it wetter.

There is no such thing as too wet. Honestly. The worst that'll happen is that you might get a few drips on your shoes.

Take your time, and don't press too hard...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamR92 and Rob2k68
I've done one or two of these bumper films, and if there's one suggestion I could make it would be to get it as wet as you can, and keep it that way until you're happy that it's in the right place and all the bubbles are out.

There isn't enough stuff in the dinky little spray bottle that Audi provide. Not by a long way.

Fill a clean trigger spray bottle (like the kind window cleaner comes in) with warm water and add a couple of drops of washing up liquid. No more than that, otherwise it'll be all bubbles when you shake it up. The washing up liquid is there to break the surface tension of the water so that it sheets and spreads instead of beading.

Spray the bumper as well as both sides of the film with copious amounts of the mixture before lowering the film onto the bumper, making sure that the paintwork is scrupulously clean first.

You're aiming to get everything so wet that given half the chance the film will slip straight off again by itself. It needs to be this way so that you can slide it into its final position without having to lift it and re-wet it and before starting to work the water out from underneath with the squeegee.

If you need to peel it off to relocate it at any time, you didn't use enough water in the first place.

I didn't use the supplied squeegee. I don't doubt that it's a very good thing, but its edge is a little bit hard and unforgiving and will grab the film and stretch it if you happen to catch a bit without quite enough water on.

I used a square of plastic about the same size as the squeegee but a bit thinner (so it was more flexible), and gaffer-taped a small piece of double-folded soft cotton cloth - a bit of one of Mrs P's worn-out Victoria's Secrets, I think - over the edge. That worked well. The cloth makes the edge softer, and obviously it gets wet and stays that way, helping to maintain the lubrication.

If you excuse the expression.

I'm trying to avoid the smutty analogies, but it isn't really possible so I'll just say it anyway.

Get it all as wet as you can, and keep it wet. If it looks as if it's beginning to dry out at all, stop and make it wetter.

There is no such thing as too wet. Honestly. The worst that'll happen is that you might get a few drips on your shoes.

Take your time, and don't press too hard...

Good luck.

Good advice thank you! It seems like the same technique I used when fitting frosted window films in my bathroom last year, and they turned out perfectly. Just need to order one now

Fitted to my A1 and have it to fit to my A3

As other have mentioned provided you take your time and keep everything soaking wet, you will be fine.

Its a patience one.

This video is for a 3M equivalent product but I am guessing the application is pretty much the same. As phutters said it seems to be all about keeping it wet. My car has a few light scratches in one place on the rear bumper from the previous owner. Once I sort those I think I will fit one of these for peace of mind.

This video is for a 3M equivalent product but I am guessing the application is pretty much the same. As phutters said it seems to be all about keeping it wet. My car has a few light scratches in one place on the rear bumper from the previous owner. Once I sort those I think I will fit one of these for peace of mind.

Haha, he makes it look very easy! Will definitely be giving it a go as soon as I get the chance.

Reactions: Rich345
My detailed fitted PPF to my rear bumper after the car was ceramic coated, great product!