Audi A6 Avant 1.9tdi 130pd loss of power

barney

Reaction score
My audi is 2002 model with 117k miles.This is the first time i have owned a diesel. a week after purchasing the car it would not accelerate above 80mph so the maf was replaced with a reconditioned one. This cured top end speed but did little for low level grunt. Occasionally, the car will take off in all gears and across the rev range and the power of this is exhilerating like being pushed along. Is this normal? Under ordainary driving the car requires lots of throttle and feels like it is underpowered. Am i asking for too much out of my audi?

The power band should kick in after 2000rpm........if this is not the case would check for leaks within the boost hoses and maybe sticking EGR valve

Hi Rev-head thanks for your reply. So far I have had my car checked by a local Bosch fuel injection firm they found nothing wrong with it they bled hoses and checked for leaks etc and charged me £57. Next i had it checked at a local Audi garage for vaccum hoses again no fault found and charged me £45. Each time they used VAG.COM staitionary and on the move no error codes found.I had the egr valve blanked off so eliminating it. (the blank has since been removed for fear of damaging the engine). Next i took it back to the Audi garage to have the turbo stripped, they had the car all day said there was no fault and didn't touch the car at all. No charge. Am i looking for something that's not there? I mean when it goes it really flies!! Something seems to happen at 2,500 revs but just dies there is no kick in the back whatsoever. A local main Audi dealer told me that audi diesels no longer have a kick in the back feeling saying they have power throughout the full rev band. Is this true? It appears that no-one wants to get involved with it just incase they get lumbered with me going back and forth trying to get it fixed.

Has anybody looked at the MAF yet as that could be at fault to ?..........at 2500 should be powering thru..faulty MAF sometimes wont produce fault codes

Cheers Rev-head, i'm off to Halfords tomorow to buy some contact cleaner and dielectric grease. See if that works. Will there be an warning lamp on the dash? I'll do it with the ignition off ofcourse.

hi Rev-head, I am at present about to clean the maf and lubricate the maf sensor and contacts. Am waiting for cleaner and dielectric grease coming from Maplin in the post. Halfords no longer stock these.

barney said:
A local main Audi dealer told me that audi diesels no longer have a kick in the back feeling saying they have power throughout the full rev band. Is this true?

BS. Even the new 2.0TDI has less kick yes but still kicks. I have a PD130 A6 and my previous 110hp A4 only kick harder due to the upsolute chip. I'm having my A6 remaped ;)

The problem was a faulty microchip diagnosed using a rolling road and diagnostics.A new one is fitted and all is now ok!!