Audi A4 Turbo or not?

pr0xibus

Reaction score
Afternoon guys, looking at an Audi A4 Avant tomorrow, the guy has said its a 1.8T but unsure by the image, can anyone help?

audi.jpg

to me youre picture is an N/A engine as the air intake is running direct from the air box to the inlet where as the picture ive put up you can see the boost pipe coming up from the inter cooler location

yep thats definately a non-turbo engine.

Metal inlet manifold is the easiest tell tale, then as james says, the intake pipework on the turbo car goes from the airfilter down to the turbo, rather than directly across to the inlet manifold.

Personally i'd avoid as its going to be awful slow.

Cheers for the replies guys, wasn’t bothered if it was turbo or not was just curious as i could not see anything turbo related myself :D Not bothered about speed either downgrading from a 2.6 vectra to the 1.8 never really go past 80 either :D, now my next question is how can i tell if its 4 wheel drive or not

They didnt build any 4wd models with a naturally aspirated 1.8 engine, at least not in the UK.

quattro was an option on either 2.6/2.8 v6 models, late 1.8TQS, and 1.9tdi or 2.5tdi.

Seriously, a 1.8NA A4 is going to be ****. Get a turbo car. They're not fast, but they're MUCH nicer to drive than the 1.8NA.

hmmm could be more to the car than i thought, fully badged as a quattro, ****** lying sellers :( feel disappointed now was going to be my first audi :D

au.jpg

au2.jpg

Biggest sign its 4wd is if it's got rear driveshafts and a diff. I'd look for something over than a 1.8 na though as it will be terribly underpowered I'd of thought.

cheers, my ideas where between the above audi or a saab 9-5 with leaking shocks, may just take the saab now

yeh billy ******** right there.

Quattro badge on the dash is stuck on in the wrong place (proper ones are recessed in)

Its a billy basic 1.8 SE. Even has the flat ****** SE seats. Someones stuck on a Sport steering wheel and a badly fitted aftermarket exhaust though!

:D glad i came onto the forums now, wouldnt have minded buying it if the guy told the truth but as soon as someone lies just dinna like it

I would have a look around for a 1.8T or even a 1.9tdi avant you may be lucky and find a quattro version.
Ive had a saab 9-5 and hated it but that might just be me..

a good 1.9tdi A4 would be a nicer car to drive than a 1.8 non turbo and would be better on fuel

as Kev says thats not a quattro dash badge is wrong, wrong seats and non turbo..

Ive got the 1.9tdi quattro and can honestly say I love it to bits and wouldn't part with it. the wifes got a new seat leon and even she prefers my audi...

I may just save up the pennies, was only going to go for it as i could swap the v6 for it but don’t know now :( . I’ve had 2 Saabs in my time and loved both of them. great tuning ability on them, the one I have seen is sitting at 240bhp at 310 torque only thing is the leaking shocks lol.

Dinna ken what it is with folk lying on ads, boils my fcuking **** :( still ill be an unhappy chappy until i find something else, was looking forward to being an audi owner too :D

Hold out and get a 1.8T. They're still **** slow but at least they have scope for a few more ponies. A simple chip will net an extra 30bhp which makes the car feel so much better.

Having gone through a number of cars and falling into Audi ownership accidentally I'm on my 2nd, about to add an A6 for daily duties and will be swapping the mrs Peugeot for an A1 later in the year.

Reactions: slepy
Am i right in thinking these are the same engines in the Passat? I found a high mileage one at 175k should i be worried, or is there still quite a few miles to go? Is there anything i should look out for on a high mileage one?

Mine's on 180,000 now. It's only just done the original clutch and flywheel. I've driven 100,000 of those miles and bar a waterpump and few wear and tear items it's been fine. Bearing in mind it's been running an extra 40bhp for those miles and thrown round race tracks

I owned a pfl 1.8 N/A in white i liked it as i went to this from a corsa c sxi

But then i got my TQS and that changed things massively the drive home to manchester from southampton was a good drive and had me smiling nearly all the way !!

Yeh i guess it depends on your background.

Still, a stock 1.8T or a TQS isnt really a hugely fast car. Its a 16 second quarter-mile car. The main advantage of the turbo engine is that its far more tractable, in the same way a turbodiesel feels a lot quicker than its power figure suggests, because the power is there without having to rev the nads off it. Plus ofcourse you can slip a remap on there and pep things up nicely!