Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5tdi gearbox problem, worth doing it ???

moveitnick

Reaction score
Hi all, i have owned my A4 cabrio for nearly 2 years and has served me very well, i had the ECU done on my auto box in the summer which cost me £900 but recently the diff has gone in it so it is going nowhere, i'm well aware a new box will cost me £2k plus but was wondering if anybody had any other ideas ? Is it really worth putting in a second hand or reconditioned box as i cannot do it myself so aware of labour costs.
Or what i am more leaning towards is just selling it as it is then letting someone who can do it much cheaper have the car and enjoying it, it is in black , new tyres and MOT, it does have a few bits that need doing and could do with a tidy up but i am in 2 frames of mind of what to do, any advice would be extremely welcome ! Many thanks all

The diff is seperate from the gearbox so why not just source a 2nd hand diff? Couple hundred ££'s I'd of thought? No where near the cost of a gearbox.

Hiya Dan, many thanks for your reply, i may have the part wrong but i had a problem with the gearbox as the light came on and was told it was a noisy diff inside the gearbox and as it is the tiptronic semi auto box that it would be a replacement ? To say i was unhappy with that diagnosis was an understatement

I would personally try and get an second opinion on the gearbox.

My bad, I thought you meant the rear diff, I didn't read your post properly.

Are the fluid levels ok?

No worries, it is definitely the gearbox so i have no idea of whether to get it done or just let it go for like £1750 as it is

It is the 2.5tdi with autobox with the tiptronic thingy lol if that makes sense but as i had the ECU done for £900 in the summer it is slightly difficult letting it go for £1750 without asking you guys if there is any better option of getting another box put in it or if anyone knows of someone with a box for sale !

Whats the problem with the car?

Does it not drive and flashing the PND123 on the dash?

If you rev it above 2k does it try to move?

I had the problem sorted with the ECU when it did the flashing thing on PRNDS, that's not the problem now, it had a noisy gearbox in the last month, i had it looked at when a couple of the warning lights came on, it was put on the VAGcom test where it diagnosed a problem with the actual gearbox, he told me the gearbox was on it's last legs, i have known the garage for many years and has always been super honest, i drove it away and the it kinda went bang and sounded like a real mess. It now doesn't start at all. So in short i'm in two frames of mind of whether it is actually worth sourcing a second hand gearbox or to sell the car as it is as i cannot do it myself so the labour costs could be quite high.