Audi A3 Tdi bkd 2.0 problems

Terry finch

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new on here but got a bit of a problem so hoping you can help :)

Ok Iv got a BKD 2.0 Tdi with head variant B It has rough cold starting and lots of white smoke , after 3 mins or so all clears and everything is fine apart from a little hunting while just ticking over I have full power and great economy .

I bought it knowing there was little problem with a suspected injector
It had already had anew injector
Turbo and cam belt ,

So Iv fully serviced it fuel filter and glow plugs have been done with lots of injector cleaner in the system as well .

Iv also had the timing checked. Had a full vagcom that came back with nothing wrong at all .
The injector seals have been done , the injector wiring loom has been done .

I'm changing the Rocker /cam cover as it could possible a PCV valve but not sure ..

It's done 2000 miles in two months with me with no change in the problem no loss of water or oil and no mixing .
Iv not touched the egr or asv yet

Do you guys have any ideas that could help ?
Thanks Terry

The most obvious one mate - porous cylinder head. The coolant gets into cylinders and evaporates when you start the car, thus the white smoke and rough starting.

Even tho I have no water loss ?
This is what's confusing me

White smoke is from coolant / water, nothing else should produce white smoke. The water loss is minimal, I top mine up every 1000 miles or so.

Is there anything out there that can seal it apart from a new head ?
Thanks Terry

Or could it be skimmed and refitted with a new gasket ?
Thanks Terry

Sorry one more question would it show up on a pressure test ?
Thanks Terry

It should show up on a pressure test and it cannot be fixed properly due to the way these cracks form - they are tiny, cannot be seen even in some cases.

You could use some sealant, but it is not recommended as it can clog up the rest of the cooling system.

I had a c part number head with same fault and wasn't losing much water drove fine etc had cracks between the valves which cant be fixed new head needed.

check the egr cooler isn't leaking as this can cause that problem.

Well iv put K seal in now and it's still doing the same which I think can only lead to it being the head :(

Does anyone know where I can get a full bkd engine without getting my arm ripped off or a replacement head ?
Thanks Terry

Is there a better head to put on than the bkd version c?
Or is there a different engine I could go across to without Have to change to much of the car ?

Just get a C rev head mate (as far as I know there is no later revision). According to most sources, none of these cracked and are perfectly fine. I don't think any other engine would fit for less money compared to the price of a new head.

I can't even find a descent head on eBay at the moment .
Give the cost of £5-600 for the head and fitting I was starting to think that a low mileage bkd for a extra few hundred may be a good idea

Iv never set up a cam belt :(
And I know these engines are very fine on there timing

Just get a C rev head mate (as far as I know there is no later revision). According to most sources, none of these cracked and are perfectly fine. I don't think any other engine would fit for less money compared to the price of a new head.

my C head cracked between all valves

Has anyOne ever manufactured a steel cylinder head for the bkd engine ?