Audi A3 Sportback (2010) Rear Bulbs

NoGGy

Reaction score
Hi,

I apologise if this has been covered and furthermore for the weird query.

I have uploaded a generic image just to point out the bulbs im referring to. I had the warning on the dash this mornign that the rear bulb had gone. After parking the car and going to check it again at Lunch time the warning was gone and the rear break bulbs seems to be working fine.

I did notice however that the following lights didnt seem to do anything at all (never noticed before) and Im not sure if they are dead or simply re-dundant although they are plugged in. The rear break lights at the sides (not the ones that are on the boot) seem to work fine.

Can anyone tell me what the lights do on the attached picture. I assumed they were break lights or fog lights. With the fog lights on they also didnt seem to work.
1253px Audi A3 14 T Sportback 8PA II Facelift rear 1 20100718

Rear fog lights. They can be enabled as braking lights too

Reactions: omberto and NoGGy

Ah!! I thought they were. Looks like they need replacing then, although weirdly enough it hasn't errored. Unless it clears the error after warning you once??

No it will be there each time you cycle the ignition

As has already been said, the inner light bulb arrowed functions as the rear fog lamp.
Am not sure about European markets, but here in the UK both inner lamps illuminate when the rear fog lamp is switched on.....
Again, as already said with VCDS the inner lamps can be coded to serve as extra brake lights , so that when braking there are a total of 3 bulbs lit up each side (2 on outer unit and 1 on inner) as well as the unit on top of the rear hatch.
With all these bulbs the brake lights are BRIGHT!
I did this mod when I fitted facelift lights to my Sportback and I find it looks so much better, in fact having seen a few facelift Sportbacks with the factory set-up (ie only outer units as brake lights) I don't really understand why Audi released cars with this configuration as surely an extra brake light can only be an aid to safety?

When you change it over on vcds to a brake light does is still function as a fog light?

Reactions: Nessy
As has already been said, the inner light bulb arrowed functions as the rear fog lamp.
Am not sure about European markets, but here in the UK both inner lamps illuminate when the rear fog lamp is switched on.....
Again, as already said with VCDS the inner lamps can be coded to serve as extra brake lights , so that when braking there are a total of 3 bulbs lit up each side (2 on outer unit and 1 on inner) as well as the unit on top of the rear hatch.
I did this mod when I fitted facelift lights to my Sportback and I find it looks so much better, in fact having seen a few facelift Sportbacks with the factory set-up (ie only outer units as brake lights) I don't really understand why Audi released cars with this configuration as surely an extra brake light can only be an aid to safety?

What bit needs to be enabled in vcds for this to function as above?

What bit needs to be enabled in vcds for this to function as above?

I can't quite remember but I scrolled through the various Bytes and found one that said something like "enable foglight as brake light" and checked the box and saved it.
This VCDS mod doesn't only work with the facelift/LED rear lights, it also works with the old-style Sportback lights.

Reactions: LEE69
Extremely bright rear lights - both rear and fog aren't necessarily a good thing especially at night. I've been behind a few cars that have caused temporary blindness on braking as your eyes adjust to the brighter light and then have to re-adjust to the dark surroundings ...

Extremely bright rear lights - both rear and fog aren't necessarily a good thing especially at night. I've been behind a few cars that have caused temporary blindness on braking as your eyes adjust to the brighter light and then have to re-adjust to the dark surroundings ...
They are the same brightness whether it is the standard or adjusted with vcds

Sent via magic, including a phone

With the extra bulb each side now being used as a brake light it does appear very bright, but I'd still rather have the 3 each side than 2.....of course it could simply be due to having new light units!

Done this on mine too and the fog bulb comes on half brightness (same as brake lamp) when used as brake, then doubles the brightness when used as a fog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you happen to know what type of bulbs I need to replace and how exqctly I can replace the rear fog lights on a 2009 FL sportback?
Ty

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-G935F eszközömről

The bulbs are just P21W single filament bulbs and once you open the boot hatch there’s a little cover in the tailgate liner.
Remove cover then you can access the light unit to get at the bulb.
A dead easy job!

The bulbs are just P21W single filament bulbs and once you open the boot hatch there’s a little cover in the tailgate liner.
Remove cover then you can access the light unit to get at the bulb.
A dead easy job!
If you have small hands :cheerful: