Audi A3 quattro turbo upgrade question.

matt haywood

Reaction score
Morning,

Sorry for being the another person that has asked this question, I have spent hours looking through the old threads however feel I haven't found all of the relevant information that I was looking for.

Apon Taking the ko3s turbo off of my ary engine I noticed the housing on the turbo is cracked. I was looking todo either doing a ko3 hybrid or ko4 conversion. I read a lot of threads and it seems that everyone seemed to say that the ko4 conversion is better, due to cheap parts if anything in the future breaks and also to get more power later on it is easier.

The question I couldn't quite find the answer too was regarding the internals of the engine, will the internals of an ary be fine with a ko4 upgrade and a decent map?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Matt

what do you class as "a decent map"?

the internals are similar but not identical - I am no expert but BAM,APY,AMK and APX have a 20mm wrist pin instead of 19mm (whatever one of those is) and the valves have shims I believe. AMK and BAM have VVT. plenty of people sell K04 setups on eBay from Audi TTs and S3s they are usually about £550

Just get my car remapped properly so it works with the new turbo conversion. I'm not to fussed about get silly power out of it at the moment. Just wanted to get everything sorted and the car running well.

I saw one on eBay today for 550, it had everything I would need to do the conversion. I feel the ko4 route would be the most cost effective way to improve power while keeping the car reliable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It’s not the crank it’s the rods you have to watch out for. Shouldn’t be an issue tho few people have done the conversion without doing the engine internals

I have 2 k04 turbo’s and are available if interested