Audi a3 1.8t quattro clutch replacement?

graham d'arcy

Reaction score
Hi folks

So I just bought a stock 1999 1.8t quattro A3. its absolutely impeccable for the year, its been looked after like a baby, the only thing i want to change is to remap it.

I've been told because the car is quite heavy that if i remap it and dont change the clutch it will chew through it. So I was looking at the vr6 clutch and the g60 flywheel... ive been all over the internet searching and I know it will fit the standard 1.8t, on the golf, and audis etc, but i cant find any information as to whether or not it will fit the quattro..

Does anyone have a definitive answer, as to if this set up will work on the quattro or is mine completely different to the 1.8, im worried about crank sizes and flywheel and clutch sized being different.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
All I can tell you is I've got the same car and have had it since 2000, I had an Amd stage 1 remap done pretty much straight away and have covered nearly 100k on the same clutch/flywheel, the car has now covered over 131k (it was on 32k when I bought it) it has now started slipping slightly if you're brutal when pulling away, I'm planning a six speed conversion amongst other mods and have looked into the clutch/flywheel and have been advised by Audi and Luk that my clutch/flywheel is the same as an s3. Not sure about the g60/vr6 clutch, I would have thought unless you're putting out a lot more power the standard kit is ok upto 300 bhp + so not sure why you'd change for other items.
If anyone would please correct me if I'm wrong or add to that feel free.

Russ.