Arm rest question (USB)

Liquidfusion-S3

I fall to peer pressure!
Reaction score
Does anyone know what connections are inside the arm rest, is it a USB and MMI?

Anyone tried a USB splitter to see if it can take 2 or 3 usb devices at once?

Something like this maybe?
http://goo.gl/VLwCMk
or this
http://goo.gl/HUwAtO

Would it be enough to power a tomtom and a dashcam?

Last edited:
No connections in the glove box. Just sd cards if you have the correct MMI option

If you have the tech pack or phone box, then you get an Audi MMI connector and a USB in the armrest, if you have neither of these options then you just get the MMI connector.

1 usb and 1 mmi. Not tested any splitters yet but Audi do an MMI to usb socket type cable so you can run 2 usb devices in terms of power. I keep meaning to buy one of those cables that has 3 wires running off it for usb and iPhone and lightening connector. I'll find a link

That's weird, the brochure doesn't mention you get the USB socket if you get the techpack, only the phone box.
I ordered the tech pack....

Must also depend what market you in I have the MMI Nav + system which includes the Tech pack (as standard on Oz S3s )
but only have the MMI connector under the centre armrest.

All UK A3's come with AMI - and you'll get (on request from dealer) 2 AMI cables. If you have an Apple iPhone you'll need a yellow collared cable with Apple Lightning interface for iPhone 5/6, and a USB socket cable. These cables plug into the AMI socket in the cubby box, and you can plug in your phone or HDD to charge, stream music via cable etc.
(Yes, you can also stream music via Bluetooth or WiFi, depending on whether you order Tech Pack etc.)

However - if you order the Audi Phone Box or Tech Pack with Connect
You will get, in addition to the AMI socket in the cubby box, a USB socket, that is used solely for charging.

Last edited:
If you have the tech pack or phone box, then you get an Audi MMI connector and a USB in the armrest, if you have neither of these options then you just get the MMI connector.

Only Tech Pack WITH Connect and/or Audi Phone Box gets you the USB connector in the cubby box.

dang it!! in my old A4 I had a 12v cig lighter there which I bought a converter to 2 usb ports, plugged my tomtom (speed cam alerts) and dash cam into it for power.

Will have to figure out how to get around this.

Will have to hardwire dashcam into fusebox, and maybe tomtom off the mmi to usb cable.

Now another way to charge phone?

dang it!! in my old A4 I had a 12v cig lighter there which I bought a converter to 2 usb ports, plugged my tomtom (speed cam alerts) and dash cam into it for power.

Will have to figure out how to get around this.

Will have to hardwire dashcam into fusebox, and maybe tomtom off the mmi to usb cable.

Now another way to charge phone?

But the 12v socket is just in front of the armrest anyway.

I am still confused about all of this.

If I only have ami CAN i CHARGE my phone and use it for musoic or speak at same time.

Can I use phone to speak or for music without having to put bluetooth on?

Whay do I need 2 AMI cables?

What is the disadvantage of not having a usb socket?

Does the usb OR ami ALLOW USE OF PHONE WITHOUT NEEDING BLUETOOTH ON AS IT USES BLUETOOTH.

i DO WISH aUDI COULD EXPLAIN THIS BETTER.f

If I only have ami CAN i CHARGE my phone and use it for musoic or speak at same time.

If you only have AMI, when you plug your phone it it will charge and play music from the phone at the same time. No using the phone as a phone through AMI.

Can I use phone to speak or for music without having to put bluetooth on?

You can only use the phone to speak with Bluetooth. Not AMI.

You can use the phone to play music, with AMI (cable) or Bluetooth (no cable) or WiFi (no cable)

Whay do I need 2 AMI cables?

You only need 1 for the phone. But they bundle the phone cable in a pack and give you a USB socket AMI cable as well, so you can plug in a HDD, SSD, play mp3's from a USB memory stick etc.

What is the disadvantage of not having a usb socket?
None. Apart from not having a USB socket to charge a (second) USB device

Does the usb OR ami ALLOW USE OF PHONE WITHOUT NEEDING BLUETOOTH ON AS IT USES BLUETOOTH.

USB does not have phone functionality
AMI does not have phone functionality

To use the phone as a phone, you must have Bluetooth (standard in all UK A3's) and turn on Bluetooth in your phone.

Have you been drinking :p
All this is in the owners manual, or, visit your local dealer to have a play!

Thanks for your reply very useful.

No, I haven't been drinking, but maybe I should as the lack of informaiotn in the brochure and FROM aUDI DEALERS MIGHT LEAD ME TO TEMPTATION.

Quite frankly the info from Audi is not good.

I have no access to a manual until I buy the car unless someone can point me to a loink.

So not much point getting Audi phone box and USB then?

Presume Audi phone set upand usb is on a par with other make?A

I notice from reading this thread that you get different colour cables for different iphones but what if you own a Samsung phone that charges via a micro usb ? is there a certain cable to ask for for this phone ?

Worth mentioning that I'm pretty sure the USB socket charges at a much faster rate than the AMI cables, and also allow you to have a music source connected to the AMI that isn't your phone while still charging.

There is a micro USB AMI cable (I have it) which you can ask for, but it doesn't come as standard.

And as others have said, the tech pack DOES NOT come with the USB socket unless you also spec Audi Connect.