APR Stage 1 RS3 Saloon

Leo-RS

Reaction score
Crazy Crazy time for just a Stage 1 tune....

BFC4E568 1356 4072 B2FF 6A53C7492681

This new engine seems to be on a completely different stratosphere to the older iron block engine. Just to put 10.55 time into perspective, that’s as quick as my 750hp RS6 and it’s quicker than a MY18 Nissan GTR and on a par with a Porsche Turbo S.

Can’t wait to get mine tuned now.

Reactions: evil_scooby, AudiNutta and FBF01
Yep seems to tune up well. Imho Audi have held the car back so it doesn't tread on the toes of the RS5 at 450hp.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: deanshaw24 and Leo-RS
I almost can't believe that from a stage 1. A 10.5s 1/4 mile...suspiciously fast and I'll wait to see what others manage. Including you @Leo-RS

Edit: just reading some of the comments on that post on Instagram. 0.45s faster than any other timed full weight RS3...definitely suspicious. Weight saving, high octane fuel...?

Last edited:
Reactions: PanamaS3
I almost can't believe that from a stage 1. A 10.5s 1/4 mile...suspiciously fast and I'll wait to see what others manage. Including you @Leo-RS

Edit: just reading some of the comments on that post on Instagram. 0.45s faster than any other timed full weight RS3...definitely suspicious. Weight saving, high octane fuel...?
Was just coming on to post that
So exciting and can't wait
10.5 is amazing !

Think i will do a 1/4 mike before and then after and see the difference.

Winder what standard does if stage 1 is under 11

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It surprised me Doc, yes, seems to be a good half a second quicker than all the rest of the Stage 1 RS3’s.

41C0BB38 1230 4B8D B67C 0941DC1AADF5

27496B0E 5D91 4934 AD6E E58CE8B3D29D

A31EF43E 4F79 4157 95DF 79CBE9C0BB33

Now APR have in the past been renound for posting “marketing bol**cks” but if they have just managed to post a 10.5 then some proof in the pudding from the above analysis as they say.

I suspect this is probably a race fuel 104/109 type tune though and the 99ron equivalent will be a few tenths slower but will be interesting to see.

Incredible performance though considering all the hardware is stock too.

Last edited:
It surprised me Doc, yes, seems to be a good half a second quicker than all the rest of the Stage 1 RS3’s.

View attachment 139971
View attachment 139970

View attachment 139975

Now APR have in the past been renound for posting “marketing bol**cks” but if they have just managed to post a 10.5 then some proof in the pudding from the above analysis as they say.

I suspect this is probably a race fuel 104/109 type tune though and the 99ron equivalent will be a few tenths slower but will be interesting to see.

Incredible performance though considering all the hardware is stock too.
Indeed. What isn't in doubt is that it tunes much better than the PFL. I know you'll have fun tinkering around with yours which I'll also enjoy reading about.

Reactions: Terminator x and Leo-RS
The other great thing is ...... it shows saloons are clearly the faster model :)

Reactions: Terminator x
The other great thing is ...... it shows saloons are clearly the faster model :)

You joke, but they do seem to be clocking the faster times!

Reactions: evil_scooby
Yep seems to tune up well. Imho Audi have held the car back so it doesn't tread on the toes of the RS5 at 450hp.

TX.

Isn't it pretty much as fast as the RS5 stock anyway? I think I saw quarter mile time was only 0.1 or 0.2 seconds slower for RS3 FL compared to RS5.

Isn't it pretty much as fast as the RS5 stock anyway? I think I saw quarter mile time was only 0.1 or 0.2 seconds slower for RS3 FL compared to RS5.
Might even be quicker as it is lighter. I meant that it needs to be (significantly) less than 450hp as that is what the RS5 is so perhaps they have detuned it for the standard car?

TX.

I reckon this new RS3 engine is probably good for an easy 450bhp straight out of the factory and they've deliberately held it back for a few reasons, whether it be so it doesn't tread on the RS4/5's toes, to keep some back in reserve to trump Merc when it releases the new A45 etc etc. The way it seemingly tunes so easily seems to point to this. And Audi will have spent a lot of time and money in designing this new engine. Considering some PFL RS3's have been on the dyno over 400bhp, it makes sense it should be quite a bit more powerful.

127mph trap speed is abit low when compared to other cars that have run 10.xx in the quarter mile. Should be in the low/mid 130’s for example someone’s stage 3 full weight rs3 ran a 10.99 at 130mph, and someone’s else using a 5 pot engine ran a 10.5 at 133mph.

Something is definitely off, it’s either a fully stripped out car, running slicks, race fuel. Or even all of the above.

many people on the Facebook page are calling this post pretty much unsubstantiated marketing boll..x, admitedly not many of them are APR fans....but many seem to have had a lot of experience in the past on "stunts" like this....and like everyone (including here) has said....it is substantially quicker than the fastest recorded times so far....read/watch with a pinch of salt I'd say and wait for there to be a level playing field of results from others to compare....btw not wishing to diminish the cars abilities as it does seem so far to have some mighty potential

127mph trap speed is abit low when compared to other cars that have run 10.xx in the quarter mile. Should be in the low/mid 130’s for example someone’s stage 3 full weight rs3 ran a 10.99 at 130mph, and someone’s else using a 5 pot engine ran a 10.5 at 133mph.

Something is definitely off, it’s either a fully stripped out car, running slicks, race fuel. Or even all of the above.

Terminal speed is reflective of power, 130mph would be 550-600hp range. This car I suspect is ‘only’ around 500hp, perhaps as much as 525hp if race fuel is being used. So 127mph seems about feasible for its estimated power. Time seems quick though which means it’s 60ft and launch must be phenomenal, got to be an under 3sec 60mph I would have thought.

As you say though, strictly speaking, a 10.5 would usually be mated with a 130mph exit speed so will be interested to see the breakdowns on the 60ft and the 1/8th.

Aoon did do a 10.99 @ 130mph but with a poor 60ft launch. His times with a good launch would have got him into the mid 10’s at around the same exit speed.

It’s not just the engine, I’m sure Audi have quickened up the transmission in the new cars too. I posted a video of a PFL vs FL RS3 off the lights a couple of months back and the facelift just seemed to be pulling away cleaner.

More info on how the times were made up.

10.5 was stripped out and on extra gas, however standard under 12 secs is great news and low 11s or just into high 10s with a remap is amazing news

Can't wait
60430350a3d808c73183548596472023.jpg

So as suspected the car was running E85 with a load of weight removed to post those headline times. Would have been good if they had made that clear in the first place. But I suppose if they had this thread may never have existed.

Reactions: xpoweruk
More info on how the times were made up.

10.5 was stripped out and on extra gas, however standard under 12 secs is great news and low 11s or just into high 10s with a remap is amazing news

Can't wait
60430350a3d808c73183548596472023.jpg

93 octane is roughly equivalent to 102RON AFAIK. 11.9s stock with this fuel is similar to PFL. I'm pretty sure after my drive that certainly once rolling there's not much in it. Stage 1 is obviously a different thing altogether.

No, 93 Ron is UK equivalent to UK 98 Ron.

We run 99 Ron here in the UK so slightly better than their 93.

Also, RS3’s in the States have the Pano roof as standard adding an extra 100lbs to the weight. UK cars will be quicker than these times.

I know the PFL owners would like to think that standard vs standard they would be very similar but from everything I’m seeing since release including the video I posted a couple of months ago, the facelift undoubtedly is the quicker car. There are times being posted of 11.7secs and mid 8’s to 100 too. PFL RS3’s are closer to 10secs and low 12’s. To be expected with the car being lighter and more powerful to be fair.

Back to the APR stats, yes, a bit sneaky, certainly not indicative of a Stage 1 time. You need sticky tyres, race fuel and the seats removed to get that. It looks as though the Stage 1 car may be good for an 11.0 or even a 10.9 though in the UK.

My car arrived with my dealer today so it will be with me sometime this week. I’ll get the vbox in it at the weekend to take some baseline figures before I start fiddling with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beebee-one, RS-jay, Joe4842 and 2 others
I'd be interested in a honest comparison stock car vs stock car.

TX.

I'd be interested in a honest comparison stock car vs stock car.

TX.

I keep putting the offer out there...must be someone in Warwickshire!

Autocar have tested both, same strip of road, condition, road testers with same fuel etc. They clocked 0.1/0.2s faster to 60/100mph.

Not a lot in it. But as we keep saying, new car tunes better if that's the route people want to go.

Not as dramatic as stated by Leo then ;)

TX.

The 3.6 0-60 and 12.1 1/4 video are good times Doc. 3.6 is where the facelift car seems to be around too.