Apple Music - Artwork hit and miss?!?

Burnsa89

Reaction score
This one is really bugging me and have searched the forums and web for a fix but no joy!

So i am using apple music via an IPod (latest version) and the yellow collar mmi cable. All my music is from the apple music catalogue and not purchased. All songs on the IPod have been downloaded to enable offline play.

I have noticed that album artwork does not work for newly released albums. I have attached some pictures which show a good example of this. Mumford and sons 3 albums, two of them display artwork, one doesn't. The one that doesn't is there latest album.

Anybody have any ideas as to why? or how this can be fixed?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,817
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 789
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 733
I have exactly the same set up as you, and mine started playing up the other week. I solved the problem by removing three tonnes of dust and lint from inside the charger point.
Try it, if it doesn't work I'll re think.

I have exactly the same set up as you, and mine started playing up the other week. I solved the problem by removing three tonnes of dust and lint from inside the charger point.
Try it, if it doesn't work I'll re think.

I will give the cable a clean etc and see how that works :grinning:

Not sure its a dusty hole issue...

I've got a brand new 6S - and an iphone cable that's a few weeks old, and mine is still sporadic.

Mines like this aswell but it's ok using sd card
So does using the sd card will show up the artwork for every song played? does it need any special way for this to happen when copying the music onto the sd card ? (organize by folders.. etc)?

My music was already in folders because I'd bought them from iTunes, I just dragged them over to sd card and works fine. Still shows up artwork no problems.

Reactions: Raul_sbd
I just dragged all my iTunes music folders over to an SD card as well. Had a few newer albums not show artwork because they had the larger artwork picture size that Apple allow but the Tech pack only allows up to 800 x 800 max I think (or something like that). So i just used Doug's Applescript available for iTunes (might be Mac only) to reduce the larger ones and then copied them back to the SD card and all display perfectly now.

Apple Music is awful for artwork, I enabled it and its destroyed my music collection by overwriting it with their own incorrect artwork

I think any songs purchased from itunes should work fine. Apple music seems to be the problem because you don't have as much control over the music file?

Well its back to the artwork picture size - most newer albums from Apple (whether purchased or through Apple music) will have a size larger than 800 x 800 and therefore won't display on the MMI. For purchased albums you can edit the artwork to reduce it to the right size but yes I am not sure you can do this for the Apple music files as they are protected but maybe you can and then re-sync with your device. Don't think you can copy them to an SD card either and have them play through the MMI too but i could be wrong.

Reactions: Burnsa89
Well its back to the artwork picture size - most newer albums from Apple (whether purchased or through Apple music) will have a size larger than 800 x 800 and therefore won't display on the MMI. For purchased albums you can edit the artwork to reduce it to the right size but yes I am not sure you can do this for the Apple music files as they are protected but maybe you can and then re-sync with your device. Don't think you can copy them to an SD card either and have them play through the MMI too but i could be wrong.

Doubt that there will be a fix either for the apple music side of things. Shame as i do like the artwork being displayed!!

WHat if you dont use itunes at all and just copy the downloaded mp3 album onto the sd card? will it show the artworks?

As long as the artwork picture size is at or below the maximum the MMI will allow then yes it will work fine. There are then plenty of ways to reduce the size if needed. However I think the issue being discussed here is more to do with the Apple Music service (Apple's equivalent of Spotify). You can download offline versions of the Apple Music albums but the underlying files are protected so not sure there is a "legal" way to get them unprotected and onto an SD card....

Reactions: Ormesome and Raul_sbd
As long as the artwork picture size is at or below the maximum the MMI will allow then yes it will work fine. There are then plenty of ways to reduce the size if needed. However I think the issue being discussed here is more to do with the Apple Music service (Apple's equivalent of Spotify). You can download offline versions of the Apple Music albums but the underlying files are protected so not sure there is a "legal" way to get them unprotected and onto an SD card....
Am i correct in saying that the max size MMI alouds for the normal 7'' screen is 800x800? (no tech pack)?

Thanks

Am i correct in saying that the max size MMI alouds for the normal 7'' screen is 800x800? (no tech pack)?

Thanks

If I remember rightly from previous threads I read the max size for non-tech pack is 500x500 and tech pack is 800x800.

I was wondering when a thread like this would be made.

I've noticed this issue for several months now and it's not iPod or SD music exclusive, I rip Album CDs to the Jukebox and my newer albums like T.I.'s Paperwork released in 2014 does not show up, but his 2008 album PaperTrail shows up.

Not only that, if you used the Jukebox heavily like I do, you might have noticed that while playing a track from an album that the artwork thumbnail does not display, instead a ♫ symbol is shown until you turn the MMI trackpad dial. If you turn the trackpad dial to view the album track list the album artwork will appear but only for a few seconds to show the track list and turn back to the ♫ symbol showing the track timeline.

Only one album I have where it shows the album artwork regardless of the MMI view is Eazy-E's It's On Dr. Dre um187 Killa.

Reactions: Burnsa89
I've noticed that sometimes the artwork will not match what's on my phone. Like I'll playing a track from and album and I'll the greatest hits artwork show up instead on the MMI. I'm using Apple Music for all my music over Bluetooth.
Can someone explain how the MMI is able to ignore the actual album artwork and then bring up the greatest hits one instead?

Reactions: Ormesome
I've noticed that sometimes the artwork will not match what's on my phone. Like I'll playing a track from and album and I'll the greatest hits artwork show up instead on the MMI. I'm using Apple Music for all my music over Bluetooth.
Can someone explain how the MMI is able to ignore the actual album artwork and then bring up the greatest hits one instead?

I think this post is a little misleading due to the term "Apple Music" being used. What i think people are referring to here is normal music that they have bought & used in iTunes NOT the Apple Music Streaming Service. If you are using Apple Music (streaming with offline) then your re effectively paying to rent the music and gains access when offline. No real legal way to keep that music as your renting as long as you are still paying! Prob best to search the forums or ask in a new thread. My Spotify has never shown any album art via bluetooth or the MMI cable even though it does on my phone so I'm not so sure it works via streaming services. Could be wrong though. :)

Here is a link to a video a chap on here made. Seems to solve the problem but again this is for people using SD Cards and not string services i think.

Last edited:
I think this post is a little misleading due to the term "Apple Music" being used. What i think people are referring to here is normal music that they have bought & used in iTunes NOT the Apple Music Streaming Service. If you are using Apple Music (streaming with offline) then your re effectively paying to rent the music and gains access when offline. No real legal way to keep that music as your renting as long as you are still paying! Prob best to search the forums or ask in a new thread. My Spotify has never shown any album art via bluetooth or the MMI cable even though it does on my phone so I'm not so sure it works via streaming services. Could be wrong though. :)

Here is a link to a video a chap on here made. Seems to solve the problem but again this is for people using SD Cards and not string services i think.

Ok so anything I'm renting essentially from apple won't have any album art?

Ok so anything I'm renting essentially from apple won't have any album art?

I don't know to be honest! but i know it doesn't work for me and i havent seen anyone else giving a work around or info how to so i assume that it doesn't work. The only videos and explanations i have read are people talking about properly downloaded files to SD Cards or Memory Sticks.

I don't know to be honest! but i know it doesn't work for me and i havent seen anyone else giving a work around or info how to so i assume that it doesn't work. The only videos and explanations i have read are people talking about properly downloaded files to SD Cards or Memory Sticks.

Ok, this just seems very odd if the album art is linked to the actual purchase of the music. The MMI is just a mirror of your phone at the time anyway.

I have been having a few artwork problems as well from SD card.

One of my albums is a compilation I made myself and used my own artwork but it seems to have got artwork from somewhere else.

There is an option in the MMI called "Gracenote online database" which I have now turned off, so not sure if it is overriding my artwork.

If I use the SD card in any other media device, including my wife's Polo GTI, it appears correct.

Ok, this just seems very odd if the album art is linked to the actual purchase of the music. The MMI is just a mirror of your phone at the time anyway.

Your technically not mirroring, your passing your music over bluetooth. the MMI is just receiving the music you pass over.

What i would like to know is if someone with the correct MMI Cable is able to get artwork from Spotify or Apple Music...Mine is an eBay job so i know it won't do it...

I have been having a few artwork problems as well from SD card.

One of my albums is a compilation I made myself and used my own artwork but it seems to have got artwork from somewhere else.

There is an option in the MMI called "Gracenote online database" which I have now turned off, so not sure if it is overriding my artwork.

If I use the SD card in any other media device, including my wife's Polo GTI, it appears correct.

See video above? From what i see surrounding the artwork issues is that the complications are usually to do with artwork size/MMI cable used. I don't use a SD Card so I'm not too clued up with it I'm afraid.

My artwork is fine when playing in normal order. But when shuffled, the artwork is all out of sync....

My artwork is fine when playing in normal order. But when shuffled, the artwork is all out of sync....

Are you playing via Apple Music?

BT or cable? If so which colour?

Also is there a marked improvement with Audio quality with the cable? Do you have the B & O systems?

You can't use BT with Car Play.

Apple Music, I'm using the cable. I always used to use Bluetooth in my old car, there is a very noticeable reduction in sound quality and then you lose the capability of searching all your music.

I'm in the habit of plugging in my phone with the S3 now as the reminder it is still there has saved my life so many times. The amount of times I used to have to get dressed again to go back out to the garage to get my phone was a killer haha.

I don't have the B&O system unfortunately. It is INCREDIBLE when you do!! I drove an RS3 with it (didn't get to test it) but I did with an S3 and it was awesome.
I had a 500 mile drive in my Mums A4 B8 which has it yesterday, you can never take the smile off your face when you crank it up.. what a piece of kit.

You can't use BT with Car Play.

Apple Music, I'm using the cable. I always used to use Bluetooth in my old car, there is a very noticeable reduction in sound quality and then you lose the capability of searching all your music.

I'm in the habit of plugging in my phone with the S3 now as the reminder it is still there has saved my life so many times. The amount of times I used to have to get dressed again to go back out to the garage to get my phone was a killer haha.

I don't have the B&O system unfortunately. It is INCREDIBLE when you do!! I drove an RS3 with it (didn't get to test it) but I did with an S3 and it was awesome.
I had a 500 mile drive in my Mums A4 B8 which has it yesterday, you can never take the smile off your face when you crank it up.. what a piece of kit.

What colour ami cable do i need? how much are they?

This video i made allowed me to use Apple music and have Artwork but obviously that was for old school iPhone/iPod devices with the red collared connector.

For newer models to display artwork from iPod/iPhone with lightning connector you need the yellow collared connector. 4F0 051 510-AL

However some cars just use USB which would just mean getting album art resized.. Also, i'm not sure whether having Tech Pack on a High end MMI makes a difference.

Since then I've now used SD card in my MMI and still have artwork as i use the program to reduce size of music to 500x500 pixels.

All my music is downloaded from iTunes...

It didn't do resize some of the music until i went into the properties on my laptop and changed an ownership or read only setting and then it was all fine!

This video i made allowed me to use Apple music and have Artwork but obviously that was for old school iPhone/iPod devices with the red collared connector.

For newer models to display artwork from iPod/iPhone with lightning connector you need the yellow collared connector. 4F0 051 510-AL

However some cars just use USB which would just mean getting album art resized.. Also, i'm not sure whether having Tech Pack on a High end MMI makes a difference.

Since then I've now used SD card in my MMI and still have artwork as i use the program to reduce size of music to 500x500 pixels.

All my music is downloaded from iTunes...

It didn't do resize some of the music until i went into the properties on my laptop and changed an ownership or read only setting and then it was all fine!

Apple music or downloads within iTunes? 2 different things & is causing quite the confusion on here!!

Apple music or downloads within iTunes? 2 different things & is causing quite the confusion on here!!

2 different things? I'm out....
iTunes downloads is what I was referring to...had option of Apple Music on my iPhone but didn't think it was worthwhile...

iTunes purchases & paid for downloads= Your music and own the music. You can usually transfer files to SD Card.

Apple Music = You rent the music for as long as you keep paying. You stream it via iTunes or the Apple Music app on the iPhone. You can have offline mode & download tot he iPhone or laptop but never own the material so you cant transfer to SD Card. When you stop paying the "offline" mode disappears and you have to stream the music you previously downloaded. This is the same as Spotify,Deezer etc...

Its very confusing as you can say "i got an album from Apple Music and copied it to SD Card" which is true. But what it really means is you got an album from Apple via iTunes and then copied it to SD Card. The term Apple Music etc... is confusing but it means quite a bit when trying to describe how to connect on the A3!

Reactions: TimWills28