Anyone in Portsmouth Area with VCDS?

bobberuk

Reaction score
I have a really bad fuel consumption issue, it's costing me a fortune in diesel. I bought a cheap hand held code reader off eBay but its reporting no error codes... although I'm not convinced it's any good.

Anyone local to me (Fareham/Portsmouth) got a VCDS they could help me out with?

Also my temp never goes above 75, no matter how long the car has been running or whatever kind of driving.

Any help anyone can offer much appreciated!

Cheers

Bob

I'm reasonably local in Basingstoke mate, but I'll be honest I don't know anything about using VAGCOM on a tdi!

Poor fuel consumption combined with low running temp would suggest the stat is stuck open, so it's never heating up and remaining on a cold start state, which typically will use more fuel.

Thanks for that, just been down to Euro Car Parts and bought a new stat which i'll put in tomorrow. I have however made another interesting discovery...

The bolts that should secure the EGR valve (to the right of the EGR as you look at it standing in front of the engine) are missing. I thought it was leaking oil because a gasket had blown, but on closer inspection there is no gasket, hence it's not sealed! Would this perhaps also have some kind of effect on the heavy fuel consumption?

Frustratingly I've bought a new set of gaskets and some EGR cleaner and was going to whip it off and clean it up tomorrow, but without the right bolts, I guess I need to wait and order some new ones up....!!

I will also be on the phone to the garage who did some work on my car a couple of months ago. They had the head off, so assume they will have also had the EGR off.... looks like they forgot the bolts and gaskets!

GRRRR!!!!!

Bob

maybe the coolant temperature sender aswell, this will cause odd temp readings and can strangly cause alot of weird stuff to happen on the 1.8t's? so may be similar on the diesels...

I seem to remember i've changed that before already, but might change it again anyway, not like they are expensive.

I did hear from someone once that sometimes an error on the instrument cluster can make the temp gauge read incorrectly.

Anyone else heard of that issue?

Cheers

Bob

Hi,
I live in Southampton and work in Portsmouth, I have VCDS, if you still need the codes read drop me a PM.