Anyone else got one?

Mutley

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
If so what has gone wrong and how have the dealers performed? One of the best cars I've owned (have been lucky / unlucky enough (wheels . . .) to have also owned an RS4) especially when the roads are wet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif - but reliability hasn't been great.

Anyone out there?

Hi Mutley. 've just bought a 51 plate S8 (as you may see from my other post) Pick it up on Saturday - so I cant wait. I've hear about Audi wheel problems. Mines got the Audi 19's on - Do they ALL have a problem ?

Is there any way to get round it if they do ?

cheers

Paul

Hi Medders,

Superb choice! You now have an aluminium space-framed, Torsen 4WD, V8 40 Valve, Tiptronic beastie. Nothing comes close! Other V8's in this class may have more bottom end torque but none of them are as sweet once you get to the eliseum zone (3500RPM)

The 'Audi wheel issue' you may be worried about does not apply to the S8 - this used to be a problem with the RS4.

The original RS4 18" wheels were made of a soft alloy compound (deliberately according to Audi AG) which would deform should the tyre wall be compressed fully. Unfortunately this happened frequently with our badly maintained British roads.

Audi UK were brought to issue through the superb efforts of the owners of www.rs4.org (now offline) and as a result, all owners were provided with free replacement wheels for the life of the car. Another option was available whereby harder compound wheels could be provided but this was a one-off, and if you bent these you were on your own.

The S8 comes with either the 'Avus' style 18" or 'RSTT' style 20" wheels. If you have the nine-spoke 'RSTT' style (as I have) then these are 20". If you definately have 19's then Audi may have put the new A8 wheels on yours. I would pull them up on this since the 20's are wider and UK models have the superb Michelin Pilot Sport tyre. This has a stiffer sidewall than the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso and several other makes and offers much better protection to your inner rim.

At the end of the day, any car with an ultra low profile tyre / wheel combination is prone to wheel-bending with extreme use, but the S8 ones will withstand small potholes and general road crap. I still avoid potholes as I'm sure we all do - I am mentally scarred from my RS4 days!

Things to check on your S8:

Lift the drivers-side under mat and check it is dry - there is a drain tube connection for the aircon condensate which can come undone. This submerges the multi plug for the second lambda probes - the ECU then gets kind of confused

Check the speed warning and cruise control - the two are linked and can sometimes play up

If you have any creaks or clicks from the dashboard check whether the windscreen has been replaced - if the wrong glue has been used it will cause stress and noise.

The boot light is illuminated when a mercury tilt switch makes a circuit. The mercury switch can get a heart attack and either stay open or closed circuit. One way drains your battery . . .

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Enjoy
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Hi Mutley. Thanks for the advice. The cars coming from a dealer so hopefully there will be no problems !

Some good deals around with the new model coming out (prefer the old one - but couldn't afford a new one anyway !)

I got the best deal from anyone on my subaru from the audi garage (even from subaru on a new one)

Driven an A8 4.2 before and loved it, but the S8 is a step up again.

I was amazed by the performance and handling of suh a large car. And to think we almost bought a Volvo XC90 !

One question I do have is - Do you have any info on the sound system in the S8 ?
I'm a bit of a sound freak in my cars, and the quick listen I had was OK, but nothing special (well not as good as mine anyway) -but that wasnt high on my list as it can be changed if neccessary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheers

Paul

Hi Medders,

No disrespect to your Audi dealer but probably worth checking those things - my 'previous' dealerships missed them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Almost all S8's have the Bose upgrade on the sound system although it was listed as an option. This does transform an awful sound system into a listenable one but as you say, it is nothing special. All we really need are tunnels everywhere and permanently warm weather so the windows can be left down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . . .
I am not experienced with in-car audio like I am with the home stuff so I'm the wrong guy to ask but there are a lot of discussions in the A3/S3 forum about upgrades.
All the best - when do you pick up your beastie??

Hi Mutley,

i will check those things as you say.

I pick my beastie up on Saturday.

I am looking forward to it immensley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are there any pics of your car around ? I'd like to see another S8.

You modded yours at all ?

cheers

Paul

One other question, whilst I remember as i have never met another S8 owner.....

Is your S8 your everyday car ? How do you find the size ?

It was the only reservation in my mind when choosing the car!

Paul

Hi Medders,

Admin may be after us for having a 'one to one' on the board but since there are just two of us we will probably be let off . . . ?

Mine is not modified although I have been toying with the idea for a while. The ECU re-maps only yield an extra 15-20BHP and a similar low percentage torque gain since the engine is already highly tuned (more BHP per litre than an M5 for example), and of course, it is normally aspirated which reduces the potential for ECU-related gains. However, I think I will be looking for a new exhaust back box. This will have smaller outlet pipes than most vauxhall nova ones, but may sound just a little bit better . . .
The standard exhaust is just a bit too civilised for me.

I use my car every day, the beastie should not be caged and I hate zoos . . .
As for the size - I don't have any problems - I guess it is something you get used to pretty quickly. I have noticed a nice side effect here... I feel a lot of drivers expect you to be an arrogant git driving a car like this, but drive with respect to all and it tends to get returned, more so than when I've driven other machines. I think it is a case of 'nothing to prove'. Let the S-class mercs, 7 series bmw's, and jag xj's remain in their niche - it helps the likes of us . . .

Car parking can be a problem but only because I select where I park quite carefully (never next to 4x4's or people carriers since they are the most likely to dent your doors)

I haven't posted any photos of mine yet - I will do over the next few weeks.

Enjoy your Saturday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hopefully they won't as it does seem to be just the two of you in the A8/S8 forum who own one! It's good to read such write ups and consensus on the A8/S8's as I am do like that car, a wondeful Audi build of rolling thunder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif.

Still I guess I will have to wait until my six numbers come up or maybe I should rob a guy with a briefcase in france and have a chase with a Citroen down some town roads until I get a chance to drive one of your beauties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif.

You lucky bastar...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jester - Have a look round at used prices..... you may be surprised. I could never afford a new one, but I got mune for nearly the price I paid for my Impreza P1.....

cheers

Paul

Can I join in, alright not quite an S8, but an A8 4.2 Sport is pretty close. I have been arguing with Audi for the past couple of months regarding the corrosion warranty and a small problem I have with my A8. They said it would be done all along until it came to putting their hand in their pocket and all of a sudden it isnt covered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Smells very fishy to me.

YOu guys should come along to sants pod on august 3rd... hopefully should be alot of us going. Would be excellent seeing S8's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif on most others!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is a picture - sorry it is low resolution - I am on dialup at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hey of course! What is a bit of horsepower between friends?! This is the A/S8 section after all! Sorry to hear about your corrosion warranty hassles. What has happened?

Its one very long story bsically the paint has started to bubble up in quite a few places on the car and they will only warrant the work if the corrosion is inside out. Unfortuntely their expert hs said (after discussion with Audi, who were paying of course) that is is outside in, i.e. stonechips cauing corrosion. It is complete load of rubbish I know they are trying to fob me off. 2 Audi dealers, 2 Audi approved bodyshops and 3 very experienced other bodyshops all agree with me. That is every other person I have asked to inspect the car to date agrees with me, rather convienient that their man don't you think. I'm not giving up though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I must say you have good taste in wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Thats bad form for Audi. If the aluminium is oxidising without help from a stone chip and causing the paint to bubble then the dealers you have visited are taking the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif I agree with you...persistance is the key. All the best with it.

Two awesome looking cars there chaps (mutley those wheels are MASSIVE - how much are the tyres ??)

Will post a piccy next week.

cheers

Paul

I love the fact that if we turned up at a max power style do, we would have the most bhp and the biggest rims there!

Still yet to convince any girlies that I've got a 20 incher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif I offer to show them and everything.

As for the paint the dealers are siding with me its Audi HQ that wont stump up any money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Hopefully I will be able to arrange a top quality INDEPENDENT expert to asses the car, you know the type, one that doesnt ask the manufacturer what they want written. I did find it remarkable that an expert with over 20 yers experience felt that he needed to discuss the case with Audi before he was willing to come to a verdict. And they wonder why i'm suspicious!!

I haven't had to buy any yet but I don't think I'll get much change from 1k for a set of 4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The current ones are Michelin Pilot Sports which I liked on the RS4 - probably not as good as Mrs. Lennon AVS's but should last longer so I'll probably stick with them. Am reading good things about Toyos though. Any recommendations?

i love that dark blue mutley. very nice. tho the grey one of mathews is very nice too. what colour interiors do u have?
by the way mathew, how did u get on with your corrosion problem?

I've got grey leather with the plus pack (alcantara headlining and door coverings) with birds eye maple wood. This is a kind of grey wood with black grain so it is more 'stealth bomber' than 'gentleman's club' to my eyes. The exterior colour is called 'aqua blue' pearlescent - the picture in my previous post doesn't really do it justice - it looks too light in the pic - although I guess that is a 'feature' of pearlescent finishes.

Have you had a go in one yet?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mine is full gentleman's club spec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Black leather with walnut trim. I must say that this is the niceset car interior I have ever sat in, regardless of colour. The seats are very comfortable, increible amounts of adjustment and then theirs the varible heating...I am actully looking forward to winter!

The corrosion problem is still very much ongoing. Even though I have an experts report backing my claim Audi are still digging their heels in. Currently 11 reports in my favour, 1 in theirs (and their inspector got the chassis number completely wrong, after I pointed out where to find it as he was struggling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif)

Currently they dont deserve to be part of this website name.

Audi = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Audi-sport.net = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Sorry to hear that your problems continue Matthew, just let me know if u need the boys sending round! he he

And yes Mutley, i have a had a go in one. Wow what a great cabin! it had the alcantara on the doors i noticed, but my eyes were just too busy to take it all in, so i cant say what the headlining was like. The whole car felt so well put together, and the power delivery is amazing and this was just in a regular 4.2 quattro! i actually said to the salesman, that i wish i had chosen to wear shoes with a thinner sole on them! the power is right there, instantly. very impressive.
Of course im comparing it to my jag 3.2, so an extra 100 bhp, 50% more than im used to, is striking to say the least! An S8 with 360 bhp instead of 310 must be really amazing! But 310 will do fine for me thank you! For now at least.
The thing that struck me the most was how easy it was to handle for such a large car. it doesnt feel like your piloting a big car at all. its so responsive and easy to place on the road, it felt like something much smaller to drive. i guess thats a testament in part to the lightness of the ally body and structural rigidity and all that. I think i have fallen in love./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif Yes Sven, i think it might well be an addictive condition! he he
by the way Medders, have you posted a pic anywhere yet?

I'll post a pic tomorrow tickover.

(Keep forgetting!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif