Any way of getting S3 seats lower

paultownsend

Reaction score
I have a 3 door pre FL 07 S3 with the Alcantara and leather manual seats. They do have electric lumbar support.
I am 6ft2 and I’m really struggling with the seating position. Now the seats are supportive, but they just sit too high. My hair rubs the headlining. I’m sure having a sunroof doesn’t help. It feels like you are sitting on not in the car. It’s pretty poor. When I tried a 3 door Edition30, you could get the seat really low.

Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
Electric seats go a little lower and they do away with the storage bin.

I cant understand your problem ? You do realise all manual seats drop on the lever on the RH side ?
I am 6ft 4" and have about 1.5" clearance to the roof.

Yes the seat is dropped via the lever. It’s the first thing I do in any car I drive. As said. The Edition30 which is based on the sane platform, the seat was to the floor. Same as my mk6 Golf GTTDI that was replaced by the S3. I sit pretty upright as I need the support in my shoulders. I just don’t feel like I’m sitting ‘in’ the car.

I’m thinking the seat can’t get as low because they fitted the unnecessary storage bin under the chair. I’m going to unbolt the chairs and see how the mechanism works. The carpets need a good cleaning anyway.

Reactions: RS3 S.
If it turns out you can't get the originals any lower, those Golf seats will bolt straight in. I don't know if the Golf has a higher roof line, or lower seats though? Mk2 TT seats might be another option.

Haircut booked for Thursday!

I think that has something to do with it. The Golf looks like the roofline is higher. I’m also sure that having the sunroof cassette lowers the head lining.

Sunroof definitely eats up an inch or two.

I always had to buy BMW's without a sunroof or I didn't fit.

Ah you didn't mention sun roof... I cant get in a S3 with a sunroof but have a couple of inch clearance on mine without.
Cars are designed for very small people for some strange reason Most cars i would like i simply cant get in including the 911 which has the classic problem of the taller you are the further back the seat has to go and the further back the seat the lower the roof. Who designs these things ...lol

I think the above is the problem. The sunroof sits under the roof skin when open.so the headlining sits lower to accommodate it.
My girlfriend’s Mini Cooper S has a much better driving position. You can get the seat really low. And the sunroof is part of the roof structure. This equals to a car which just feels better to drive.