Any problems with the s3?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Thinking of buying s3/cab
Any issues?
S-tronic.
Will service the haldex myself, when does the diff oil need changing and any idea on how much is needed?

A browse through the forum will bring up a few things, but chocolate waterpumps are the first thing that spring to mind. They all seem to go eventually, though I don't know if the issue is limited to particular model years.

Reactions: vw754
Yep water pump. Just had mine done. Otherwise good. Diffs are meant to be lifetime but had mine serviced. Use 2L in total but the oil was fresh at 50K miles. Make sure stronic has been serviced by 38K. When doing haldex make sure you do the gauze with new o rings too.

Reactions: vw754 and pburv
Misfires. if you dont have VCDS get yourself an OBD port dongle and an app like torque pro. Run a test which will examine all the driving data. Check the average misfire counts on all cylinders for the last 10 drives. This value should be low, like 10 or less, on each cylinder. If its more that might indicate a problem that can be notoriously difficult to find.

Misfires. if you dont have VCDS get yourself an OBD port dongle and an app like torque pro. Run a test which will examine all the driving data. Check the average misfire counts on all cylinders for the last 10 drives. This value should be low, like 10 or less, on each cylinder. If its more that might indicate a problem that can be notoriously difficult to find.
Thanks, i have vcds, will take it with me, much appreciated mate.

l have had 2 S3's over the last 6 years 59k miles and have not any problems at all.....S3 cabs are not normally used as daily drivers,casual daily use by the the Wife....etc etc buy the best you can afford would be my advice....

Reactions: loftylad, Jcbmally, S32B and 1 other person
l have had 2 S3's over the last 6 years 59k miles and have not any problems at all.....S3 cabs are not normally used as daily drivers,casual daily use by the the Wife....etc etc buy the best you can afford would be my advice....
THANKS.
Would like a cab, sold the A5 cab around 4 months ago..... But i am considering the saloon/hatchback too, mileage below 70k..... Also would like to know what lowering kit people are using and what size wheel spacers too.
I used H&R lowering springs on my A5.... Would love to see the s3 sitting above the wheel arch but only just, with around a mm or so from the tyre.

THANKS.
Would like a cab, sold the A5 cab around 4 months ago..... But i am considering the saloon/hatchback too, mileage below 70k..... Also would like to know what lowering kit people are using and what size wheel spacers too.
I used H&R lowering springs on my A5.... Would love to see the s3 sitting above the wheel arch but only just, with around a mm or so from the tyre.
The S3 Cab is the Saloon but only with roof cut off basically....Saloon and Cab come with Magnetic Dampers and 19s as standard which combined with a wider wheel base makes it handle that bit better than the Hatchbacks....Cab is a Classy looker but they dont come with Black styling pack....Exterior matte aluminum/chrome embellishments only

Reactions: loftylad, NevMan, Jcbmally and 2 others
Does the s3 (8v)
Suffer from chain/tensioner failures like the older 8p model?

Going to look at a 2015 s3 cabriolet this week, full service history 33,000 miles, adaptive headlights, cruise, totally standard, tech pack, Bluetooth etc.
How much is it worth if its in mint condition with that mileage?
I suppose its due a s tronic gearbox service in another 5,000 miles.... Is it the same procedure as the 8p model?

Thermostat housing and water pump on my 17 plate S3 sportback. 15,000 miles
Done today by my local indi parts 338.63
labour 205.20
VAT 108.76
Total 652.59
AndyF Team Navarra

If possible opt out of the LED headlights and MAG-ride. I have the LED headlights and if the bulb goes the whole light assembly has to be replaced at 1300 a pop and recently I believe my passenger from side electrical damper may have failed which is another 1200 part.

Shock/strut mounts are another issue besides what’s already been listed above.

However like any sports car things are always expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk