Another tyre question

Nham68

Reaction score
13K in on S4 running Contis. Down to 2.5mm on front and 4.5mm on rear.

Do I need to replace all 4 , or can I just replace front two ? ( in future will rotate). Handbook says all 4 and tires need to be identical too. I wonder if that’s just Audi covering themeselves. I’ve got two Goodyear F3 asymmetric order for Sept 10.. would be easy to bump it up to 4 but i’ll Lose a few months life of rears. Don’t like running below 2mm.

Anyone and experience of this in S4 or other new Quattro platforms ?

Thanks

They’ll recommend all four because the Quattro system uses the rolling radius to distribute power front and rear. If the tread depth is significantly different you won’t have the correct distribution when driving normally. Don’t think it would damage anything but it means the centre diff would be working overtime basically.

I think it’s the same thing with the type of tyre, just to make sure that the rolling radius is close enough for the Quattro to work properly.

That’s what I’ve heard, but I can’t confirm 100%. Makes sense to me though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Replace all 4 keep the 4.5 mm ones and when the others wear down put the 4.5mm back on. saves rotating.

The advise I was given from Audi with quattro cars was max difference in tread depths 2mm across the axle and 3mm front to back. Haven't seen this written down anywhere...

My 2pence worth:
2mm is circa 0.5% of your diameter. I would expect the difference between makes (i.e. Conti and Goodyear) would be bigger and still of no consequence front to rear. There are other things that would strain the diff more than that. I would suggest you save the planet, save your money, do 2 at a time.

Most tyres these days have two wear indicators for this purpose

My 2pence worth:
2mm is circa 0.5% of your diameter. I would expect the difference between makes (i.e. Conti and Goodyear) would be bigger and still of no consequence front to rear. There are other things that would strain the diff more than that. I would suggest you save the planet, save your money, do 2 at a time.

I know it’s not much of a difference in overall size, but my car can tell the difference between winter and summer tyres when I change them as it comes up with a flat tyre warning. So it’s relatively sensitive in terms of that system at least so i imagine it could have some sort of effect on it, I just don’t know how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk