annoying buzzing /rattle

Update
Received a phone call from my dealer today.Car was left yesterday for them to check out today (picked up a A6 as a loan car and i like it a lot)
Anyway,apparently they have indeed found two separate sources of a rattle /buzzing from the door.One has been fixed and they are still working on the other.
At least i didnt get the "sorry sir the technicians cant hear anything"scenario.
Further update later.

Collected car yesterday.
All fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While the service dept was closed on collection ive been told there were three issues .
In drivers door ,one of the rear door ( which i wasnt aware of ) and boot , also unaware of.
My dealer had the car for two days and have been extremely thorough in their investigationAwaiting a written report from then to follow.
A 50 mile drive home and all perfect.
Im impressed to say the least as this type of complaint must be a technicians worst nighmare ( and an owners) .Well done Audi Aberdeen.
I will report back with the findings asap

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u and Daggerit
Collected car yesterday.
While the service dept was closed on collection ive been told there were three issues .
In drivers door ,one of the rear door ( which i wasnt aware of ) and boot , also unaware of.
My dealer had the car for two days and have been extremely thorough in their investigationAwaiting a written report from then to follow.
Im impressed to say the least as this type of complaint must be a technicians worst nighmare ( and an owners) .Well done Audi Aberdeen.

Excellent news.. however it's now apparent we have slightly different problems.. my rattle is on the passenger side!

Mine's booked in for the 29th.. I'd be keen to see your copy of the full report to use a guide, just in case i don't get the same level of service as you.

Here is the report from Audi Aberdeen regarding this.I must say all is perfect.
here were several audible rattles / noises located upon the cars visit, so as there was no road test conducted with the customer upon receipt of the car, we were unsure as to which noise in particular the customer was booking the car in for.

So we payed attention to the very obvious ones first before letting the customer monitor this after rectification.

The OSF door had a rattling / tapping noise. The door seals on the OS of the car were first lubricated to ensure no friction between seals were in fact causing any noises. This did not make any difference. The drivers front door card was then removed.

Upon inspection I found that 3 of the 7 screws securing the armrest onto door card from the inside were not fastened correctly. I retightened these accordingly and rebuilt. No longer rattling on road test.

Creaking from the rear boot when going over bumps was diagnosed as the metal clips on the lower boot catch trim as moving around in their mountings thus causing a creak. These were padded out accordingly using noise dampening material.
Again the boot seal was also lubricated as a precaution to ensure the seals were not causing any noises. Road tested with another technician and found the noise to have now been rectified.

OSR door had very faint tapping noise when going over rough roads and was intermittent in relation to the other noises above. The door card was removed and checked - all attached components tight and secure - OK.

Using anti friction paste between the inside skin of the door card and the arm rest appeared to have rectified the issue when the vehicle was road tested again. I assume there were friction between these two pieces of plastic hence the noise.

As said before, the job card / DISS was left open as we were unsure if these were in fact the noises the customer was hearing, so it was advised that we let the customer run the car and see how he gets on and report back should there still be any audible noises that are still present and concerning the customer.

Reactions: Berrrtie
Im sure this is the issue some others have had.
Turns out nothing to do with speaker grills or internal connectors.
The technicians did a grest job in finding the faults which must be a nightmare for them to trace.

Thanks Holly

Mine went in but typically and annoyingly on the roadtest it didn't make the noise.
So they didn't really do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collected car yesterday.

Amy how's this issue holding up for you? Is it still resolved?

I've have the same intermittent noise at the same spot of the passenger's door since I bought the car last year and nothing I am doing is resolving it. That being the noise you thought was from the speaker grill/corner of door. I stripped the door panel off, replaced all the securing fasteners that hold the door panel on. I checked all the cablings and connectors and everything seems fine. I checked the screws securing the armrest and applied carbon paste to the armrest area as per your technician's work - still I get the noise. Now I know I will get it sorted with more perserverence but thought I would see how you got on long term?

Amy how's this issue holding up for you? Is it still resolved?

I've have the same intermittent noise at the same spot of the passenger's door since I bought the car last year and nothing I am doing is resolving it. That being the noise you thought was from the speaker grill/corner of door. I stripped the door panel off, replaced all the securing fasteners that hold the door panel on. I checked all the cabling and connectors and everything seems fine. I checked the screws securing the armrest and applied carbon paste to the armrest area as per your technician's work - still I get the noise. Now I know I will get it sorted with more perseverance but thought I would see how you got on long term?

I think I may have nailed my issue tonight. I decided to place a cloth on the door sill (as you step in the car) and then closed the door. I had a brainwave that maybe the door panel was rubbing against the door sill and it seems it was as the cloth (thus far) has fixed the issue. No idea how I will remedy the matter permanently but it's something for me to think over. When I get it sorted I will update this thread.

First of all you need this..
Gummi Pfiege available from amazon
  • i doubt its your door panel rubbing on the sill .This is a conditioner used by Audi to lubricate the door seals.Use it on all your rubber seals and ill bet it cures most of your problems.
I do get an occasional rattle from the drivers door but it only happens occasionally happens on rougher roads that cause something to resonate .
Overall i dont have much issues now with rattles,so they did a good enough job .
Interestingly my previous A3 and a loan A6 had no issues in this respect.Your biggest advice to avoid this is to go for an SE model,smaller wheels and non sport suspension will be my choice if i decide on another Audi,possibly the new Q3.

not the door handle.
However

when it starts buzzing/rattling i applied some pressure to the lower door trim next to the speaker grill and it stopped,so looks like its some where around the speaker .By the way ,its irrelevant if the radio is on or not,so its perhaps a loose speaker? or associated trim around this area.
decided to book it in to get it looked at.
Anyone else with the same issue?
I am having exactly the same issue now and its quite loud - I have a video clip of it. Applying pressure to the lower drivers door trim - not just the speaker grille - stops it. Going to get it to the dealer

I had this buzzing return but after my last service,and despite the rattle/buzzing having conveniently stopped a few days before it was due for its service,the dealer successfully completely silenced the issue.Now my A4 is devoid of any buzzes or rattles anywhere.
Solved ,im told by applying a friction reducing tape to the insides of the panel.