Am i asking too much for my car?

S3-ROB

RD350YPVS - Loves 2 stroke oil
Reaction score
Been trying to sell my S3 for a month or so and not getting alot of interest other than wasters offering silly money so am i asking too much?

Car is a December 2002 52 reg S3, metallic black, 1 previous owner, full service history 95% Audi, 12 months MOT, 9 months tax, 4 new goodyear F1's less than 400 miles ago, new coolant temp sensor, new brake light switch, new cylinder head, cambelt etc 10k ago due to cambelt snapping done at Audi main dealer costing £2120, HPI clear, S3 private plate, no faults, 97k miles.

Advertised it at 9k for a while and got many phone calls but nothing serious, dropped price to £8500 no offers and get loads of call offering 8k even though advert clearly says no offers :readit:

Is £8500 too much? I think its a fair price

Opinions? :icon_thumright:

sounds good to me and I would sell mine for any less....trouble its only worth what people want to pay, and before Xmas is probally not the best time.

not sure mate i paid £8800 for mine in june 2001 x reg facelift model 72k immac,full spec,hope this helps in some way

Seems fair enough, the cylinder head might put some people off tho (even tho it was done at a main dealer) as people pannic and think you might not be telling the truth or that something else might go wrong if that has

When I was looking for mine that would have been tempting at that price to me personally

S3-ROB said:
Been trying to sell my S3 for a month or so and not getting alot of interest other than wasters offering silly money so am i asking too much?

Car is a December 2002 52 reg S3, metallic black, 1 previous owner, full service history 95% Audi, 12 months MOT, 9 months tax, 4 new goodyear F1's less than 400 miles ago, new coolant temp sensor, new brake light switch, new cylinder head, cambelt etc 10k ago due to cambelt snapping done at Audi main dealer costing £2120, HPI clear, S3 private plate, no faults, 97k miles.

Advertised it at 9k for a while and got many phone calls but nothing serious, dropped price to £8500 no offers and get loads of call offering 8k even though advert clearly says no offers :readit:

Is £8500 too much? I think its a fair price

Opinions? :icon_thumright:

Whilst the milage is a little off putting to some its a very fair price. You ain't picked the right time to sell though last thing on most minds at the mo is cars. The cam belt might also put people off if they think its not been looked after!

The cambelt snapping would be me off to be honest.

You always get the timewasters/dreamers and people who talk the price down without seeing the car.

Stick at it seems about right to me.

The new cylinder head was done by previous owner who was a lady, it may put some people off but to some it may be a good selling point as obviously the cambelt was changed at the same time.

I know its not the best time of year to sell thats why i dropped the price by £500, someone rang me a few days ago and offered me £8400 to which i said £8500 no offers as per advert, he says "so your willing to lose the sale for £100" to which i replied yes as i'm not desperate for the money or to sell :icon_thumright:

Your fault then really. I wont deal with someone who says no offers. Whats to say your idea of a fair price is a right one? I personally think what youre asking is fine, however, for you to say no offers is not conductive to a sucessful business transaction.

What if someone turned up and found through vag-com that the camshaft sensor was intermittent, would it still be no offers?

You HAVE to account for offers, especially this time of year as someone with 8K to throw at you would do you a lot of good for christmas I'm sure. Plus your car is by no means perfect, or a better example than many many others.

Now, despite it appearing to be a reasonable asking price, it clearly isnt, as you're on this board asking why everyone offers you less. The market is clearly showing that you need to accept less.

Very true Dave but I hate people getting you to drop price over the phone without seeing the car. They then try to force you to drop the price because but agree no offers would upset a few.

Hopefully mine has sold tonight subject to usual checks.

Your fault then really. I wont deal with someone who says no offers

And i won't deal with people who make offers when the ad clearly states no offers, and me being an MOT tester i know the difference between a good and bad car, my S3 is not a show car but is in very good condition at what i think is a fair price and because i'm not desperate for the money i can hold out for my asking price.

Also if i want £8500 would i be better off asking £8750 and seeing if anyone offers me less? :icon_thumright:

Oh, if people are offering less over the phone tell them to f-off.

If they turn up, show you cash and offer less then thats fair I'd say.

Dave_Bayern said:
Oh, if people are offering less over the phone tell them to f-off.

If they turn up, show you cash and offer less then thats fair I'd say.

Agree.

I had one like that today, he tried to knock me down over the phone and never called back to arrange a viewing, onto the the next I guess.

Good luck with the sale Rob but what is the replacement?

Good luck with the sale Rob but what is the replacement?

I'm after a civic type r, similar performance to the S3 but alot less to go wrong and because i've always had motorbikes i like the high revs of the type r

In my ad for the S3 i put that i'd swap/part ex for a facelift type r (53 reg onwards) and in the first week i got offered 3 typre r's, all pre facelift, i'm sure some people don't read the full description properly

Nice, it's the gearstick that puts me off them oh and the boxy like shape.

People try it on...worth a shot I suppose. It's the sales calls I hate, I get them all the time at work.

I had an American the other day saying what was the directors name I gladly said it's "Mr King" and he replied "his first name?" sure it's Joe. A week later my boss answered the phone to an American asking for Joe King lucky my boss is sharp and got it straight away...the yank didn't get it.

I know why it's not selling!

It's your political persuasions! ;)

Oh and the brick under the rear wheel doesn't inspire confidence :)

Oh and the brick under the rear wheel doesn't inspire confidence

Did think that after looking at the pictures, handbrake does work honest, pics taken at my dads house and because the drive is quite steep he insists on putting bricks behind the wheel of any cars parked there for some reason

It's your political persuasions

I know i've not worded the ad in the best way possible, just got so fed up of all the idiots ringing that is how the ad ended up, oh well, if it does not sell then i'll keep it and get it re-mapped

My friend left his handbrake loose on a minbus and it rolled down the drive and smashed into the house opposite. The damage caused was unreal.

I always leave it gear.

If a car rolled off my dads drive it would end up in someones front room so thats prob why he's so obsessed with his bricks

Thinking positive, if the car sells i'll get a type r, if it doesn't then i'll get the S3 re-mapped so either way its a win win situation for me :icon_thumright:

Get the S3 remapped you won't regret it.

I will if the engine blows up or the clutch gives up :laugh:

Only joking, if i keep the car then its new exhaust time, either milltek or supersprint, more likely supersprint has i had one on my M3 a few years ago and had no problems with it, then to jabba sport for custom re-map, thats it really as i like to keep my cars reasonably standard looking.

ummm, I think the number plate may be limiting your potential market... it's quite a statement...

I agree 100%. In this day and age unless you live in Derby that just doesnt wash with the majority crowd.

Change it back to standard plate.

£850 is rightly priced, i recenly paid £8k for a 51 plate with 99k..51's and 52's will always command more than x/y's ask any dealer

Bad time of the year to sell anything to be honest mate, everyones skint from buying ****** Xmas presents - I know I am! - and with interest rates going up a few time already this year, along with petrol prices today, we all have a bit less to spend!

I agree 100%. In this day and age unless you live in Derby that just doesnt wash with the majority crowd

I'm from Derbyshire originally, only moved away from there when i was 12 due to my dads job but don't see what this has to do with the number plate?

S3 BNP.

There's your problem

Although i don't see the problem with it i've edited the ad saying i'll put the car onto original 52 reg at my expense if buyer prefers

S3-ROB said:
I'm from Derbyshire originally, only moved away from there when i was 12 due to my dads job but don't see what this has to do with the number plate?

Biggest concentration of combat 18 members in Derbyshire.

Which will be why you didnt see a problem with a 'BNP' numberplate!!

Google it.

Holy crap. you're telling us you've been driving around with "S3 BNP" on your numberplate, and you don't know what it means?

british national party,basically a politically incorrect politics group also some people view this group as a racist front like the nf.

Your all quick to assume i put the number plate on the car, did anyone even stop and think i may have bought it that way?
The previous owner may have been called Brian Nigel Parker?

S3-ROB said:
Your all quick to assume i put the number plate on the car, did anyone even stop and think i may have bought it that way?
The previous owner may have been called Brian Nigel Parker?

I don't think anybody's assumed anything so far, other than the fact you didn'r realise what BNP stands for.

Which is a reason why your car isn't selling.