Allroad c5 xenon retro fit

morepower

Reaction score
Hi. I want to fit some audi xenon headlights with ballast to my 2002 A6 c5 allroad which has non xenon. The electrical connectors fit with no issues but before connecting and running them do I have to do anything else to the car electrical wise? Or anything else before I remove the bumper and permanently fit them.
Thanks for reading

Id be interested to read about this

Do you mean- remove the bumper to swap the headlights themselves?

Yes as the bumper has to come off to change the headlights.

Yes as the bumper has to come off to change the headlights.
Please be aware That only preface lift c5 headlights fit plug and play, later ones are different as the facelift model uses a different bonnet and grille. You can use the ballasts and bulbs and have it retrofitted to the original c5 Allroad headlights or you can buy a cheap xenon retrofit kit and fit that - all levelling motors and gizmos are built in so they work as intended...

Reactions: morepower
Thanks for that I. Ll look at that when fitting. Hopefully all will be well. If not I guess I. Ll have to use the old light casings.

If I've got an '05 plate, with the darkened rear glass, is that post-facelift?

(Is it like with the 8Ls?- can I tell by side repeater lamp shape?!)

Jimmp- I don't really know the answer to that but hopefully some one on here could answer it.
But i have tried xenon headlights from a 2003 allroad in my 2002 51 plate and they fit plug n play and work great.
I.ve not fitted them yet just plugged them in and checked to see if they fit under the bonnet line. I will try to attach an image.
So to clarify no adapters or cutting of wiring needed and hopefully when I screw them in i won't need to either.

1st image is of a working xenon light
2nd should be of it compared to the halogen light and
3rd is the xenon sitting nicely under the bonnet line.

Attachments

• 20160216_153333.jpg
    20160216_153333.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 215
  • 20160216_153338.jpg
    20160216_153338.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 20160216_153436.jpg
    20160216_153436.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 209
Hey more power,

Thanks for that- that's invaluable.

So, do the ballasts plug into the conventional headlight wiring directly?

And that's it?

Hangon- further to adamss24 point- is it accurate to say that all Allroads sort out their own headlight levelling? Whether they are halogen or xenon lamps..?

Hi. The ballast are just part of the headlights and attached underneath them and the wiring that plugs into the head light is all the same. I.ll get some pics which will simplify what I. M trying to say

Hey more power,

Thanks for that- that's invaluable.

So, do the ballasts plug into the conventional headlight wiring directly?

And that's it?

Hangon- further to adamss24 point- is it accurate to say that all Allroads sort out their own headlight levelling? Whether they are halogen or xenon lamps..?
Yes, they sort out the self levelling as the Allroad has the module installed which deals with the self levelling suspension so even if you fit aftermarket xenon kit it will still pass the mot unless the light is stupid color or something. Allroad xenon lights fit onto Allroad without xenon light- the self levelling motors are built in ! No cutting of wires required either way !

Hey morepower & adamss24,

That's terrific- thanks for going into detail. I've known people who are always busting to fit xenon light upgrades into cars, but I've never thought it appropriate.
But in this case- as the Allroad is such a cool-workhorse (if there is such a thing) and as it seems to be possible without any compromise- I think I'll pursue it.

I've only had the car a couple of days though and have yet to decide if the headlights are adequate (I'm away at the moment)- but it does seem like something that is worth doing with no down sides.

How much hassle is getting the front bumper off? What about the headlight washer-jets? Do they come off with the bumper..?

The washer jets come away with the bumper to a certain degree. If you check out YouTube there is a great video by bentley in the USA who tell you how to remove the bumper from an A6 which is very good.