Alex's Misano Red B7 Avant Thread

They are epic when needed Ricky but it's not just about having massive braking, they are so much better overall even for normal driving condition.
Super progressive aswell, and they fill out the wheel void nicely aswell which is a bonus.
For me probably one of the best value for money mods I've done as they work as good as they look.
If I was buying another B7 i'd do them all over again without questioning it.
Just me though.:yes:

2020 bargain of the year already? Id like the 18z’s but for the money there just not needed enough on power I'm at dout id need them for stage 2+ either unless its a track car but for £200 its a no brainer i would of got them as well maybe i should keep a little eye out every now and again, nice one mate I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

They will be way to overkill for my bus, and im never planning on going 300hp+ either, but for £200 i couldn't say no. I estimate a total cost of around £400 by the time ther refurbished so im still winning in terms of price

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
They will be way to overkill for my bus, and im never planning on going 300hp+ either, but for £200 i couldn't say no. I estimate a total cost of around £400 by the time ther refurbished so im still winning in terms of price

Not really that over kill Alex , they just look massive to start with , after a short while they will look normal and will feel spot on.
It’s not always about shear braking power.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Not really that over kill Alex , they just look massive to start with , after a short while they will look normal and will feel spot on.
It’s not always about shear braking power.
6 pot callipers on a car with 216hp....slight overkill Rob lmao but like Alex said £400 all in is a great bargain especially compared to what they generally go for so it would be silly not to go ahead with it, i dout your see any that cheap anytime soon, good find :icon thumright:

8 pots maybe over the top , 6 is just fine .
Not sure it will come in under £500 really
Callipers £200 plus new discs and lines , add in pads and rebuild cost.

£400 maybe a stretch. Well depends on what discs , pads and lines plus sundry parts.

8 pots maybe over the top , 6 is just fine .
Not sure it will come in under £500 really
Callipers £200 plus new discs and lines , add in pads and rebuild cost.

£400 maybe a stretch. Well depends on what discs , pads and lines plus sundry parts.

The £400 was minus discs, i will soon be getting mapped to similar performance figures as your bus Rob so they will be helping control a bit more power i suppose

I did think it’s minus disc’s .
Great price for the callipers.

I'm still running the ML AMG discs with no issues at all to date.
They are m-tech ones
IMG 0277sus

They do look nice though even if some guys are not keen.
Not bad for a home refurb.

Snug2

Reactions: Sidrick
On the subject of discs, any recommendations Rob? Do you still use ML ones too or B8 S4 ones?
down side to the ML's is that centre bore need enlarging , and ideally a new disc retaining hole need drilling.
I had mine turned out a few mm by a friend and drilled a new retaining hole myself, neither a massive issue .

S4 B8's don't need either but may well cost more to start with, which ever route you prefer, also S4's are a bit lighter but not sure it really make a massive difference.

They do look nice though even if some guys are not keen.
Not bad for a home refurb.

View attachment 196713

They are starting to get a bit faded now with a few marks etc after a few years on the old bus, still deciding what colour to redo them, Yellow is fav at present, but may have to wait until the engine project has completed.

yellow against black ...maybe .

af29268f5ac5a9f3772b59e93597d47c.jpg

I think id rather pay a little more for S4 discs and be able to to just pop them straight on.

As for the colour, im leaning towards yellow too, it seems the best colour choice on a red car i think, Red would be too much red and you'd miss them if they were black. So i think im opting for a nice shade of yellow with black "brembo" stickers i think

My neighbour has a mid blue Porsche Panamera with yellow 8 pot Brembo's and they do look nice.

Can't recal if I sent you this so here it is again just in case.

Amgml

Not sure yet Rob, powder coating will be more durable possibly but i can shotblast and paint them what ever colour i like at work for free

Not sure yet Rob, powder coating will be more durable possibly but i can shotblast and paint them what ever colour i like at work for free
We/I have painted callipers a lot of times and as long as prep is good as I'm sure your aware and painted in 2k there very durable and last for years.

We/I have painted callipers a lot of times and as long as prep is good as I'm sure your aware and painted in 2k there very durable and last for years.

You got it

****** it, might attack them in the shed with a stiff brush and some halfords caliper paint!

I just used and its been fine.

E-Tech EBCP Brake Caliper Paint.

they had already been blasted and primed though.

Picked the calipers up today, all seems okay on the face of it. There in better nick than i expected to say they are the unfinished versions from a 2008 Q7, apart from one of the aluminium link pipes being slight crushed on the corner and some light scuffs on the face of the same caliper.

Nothing major i just presume someone must have dropped it at somepoint, but no major damage which is good. Ill post a few pics after ive given them a clean up tomorrow.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows and Charlie Farley
fit a new pair of link pipes , don't reuse the old ones as they can be weepy aswell so make sure you nipp them up enough.

Would 2k hold up against the high temperatures? Im looking for a nice, glossy finish, so i suppose wet paint is preferred. Also being a painter, what primer so you reccomend after blasting? High build or wet on wet?

Would 2k hold up against the high temperatures? Im looking for a nice, glossy finish, so i suppose wet paint is preferred. Also being a painter, what primer so you reccomend after blasting? High build or wet on wet?
Ive never had issues using 2k from personal experience seeing it day to day, if never had them blasted but id say etch obviously then a wet on wet just pit less thinners in and sand it as if it was high build then 2k on top.

Only reason id use wet on wet is to keep the paint thickness down etch will be a good base and wet in wet with a bit if sanding will give you a nice smooth finish ready for the 2k.

The 18z's don't get that hot under normal conditions unless your driving like a mad person of course.

Thanks Chris, im trying to keep it up to date as the jobs are being done, and there's plenty on the list!

Yes its a detachable Westfalia towbar, very similar to the oem factory option detachable. Seems to work just fine and gets plenty of use.

Ah nice, the list which never ends!

That’s good to know, I’m in need of a towbar, does it show at all when not in use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah nice, the list which never ends!

That’s good to know, I’m in need of a towbar, does it show at all when not in use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope not at all, thats one of the reasons i went for the westfalia one, the electrics fold up too. You do have to cut the bumper valence but its not really visible unless your under the car

So a small advance on the brembo upgrade front. Think ive finally settled on a colour. Although not as exciting as the yellowni originally fancied, the metalic silver/grey used on the B7 RS4 ceramic brakes looks quite nice. It would also match with my grey rear calipers too.
Screenshot 20200129 201420 Google

So a small advance on the brembo upgrade front. Think ive finally settled on a colour. Although not as exciting as the yellowni originally fancied, the metalic silver/grey used on the B7 RS4 ceramic brakes looks quite nice. It would also match with my grey rear calipers too.
View attachment 197009
I think for the look your going for Alex which to me looks like a nice oem+ id say grey was your best bet or even silver, me personally id go for red with the Lamborghini decal in silver but everyone has there own thing i guess.

I think for the look your going for Alex which to me looks like a nice oem+ id say grey was your best bet or even silver, me personally id go for red with the Lamborghini decal in silver but everyone has there own thing i guess.

Absolutely Ricky, oem + is my route. Id love them in red, but for me it would be too much on a red car