Airbags Gone Off :(

MoAudi1.8T

Reaction score
Hi there guys, i hope u can help us

my friends car has been involved in a car accident, its an 2004 audi a4 1.9 tdi sport, his friend was driving it but third party under her own insurance cover and ended up going into the back of another car (her own fault) :(

as he cant claim under his insurance as she was driving it third party with his permission, they have to know repair the car themselves. it has not got significant amount of damage so can be repaired but the downside is that the driver and passenger side airbags have gone off.

as they will be doing most of the work themselves, we just wanted to know what is the procedure to follow when replacing both driver and passenger airbags, and what parts are needed?

hope u guys can help

Mo

Mo Sorry to hear about your bump.

I have a steering wheel and airbag from my 1.9tdi A4 I could sell you if any good to you, PM if your interested.
Thanks
Ian

iv seen airbags on ebay should find all your friend needs there.
on the down side you may have to have them fitted by a grarge but im not 100% sure

you should be able to do all the work yourself, but you would require a new dash, as the passenger side air bag would have punched a hole in it. Taking the dash out won't be an easy job, so I would get a copy of elsawin, you may also have to replace the air bag controller, as you may not be able to clear the faults on the old one, but not 100% sure on that.

You are looking at pulling the whole dash out which is a pain in the **** but it can be done.

You will need air bag for the dash and a steering wheel airbag and make sure the sensor at the front of the car is ok or it will deploy them again.

thanks for the reply guys :)

reading the above i have gathered that i need to replace the dash due to deployed passenger airbag?

and i need the following parts:

drivers steering wheel airbag
passenger airbag
airbag control module (is this the same as a controller as B5NUT mentioned above?)

is this is all i need?

how do i check the front sensor to check they are ok docurley?

okie doke, i shall be telling them to replace the sensor :)

how about the parts needed? am i right in saying that i need only: -

steering wheel and airbag
passenger airbag
dash
airbag control module
front sensors

???

I would be very wary about fixing the dash, remember it has to split at the same point for the airbag to deploy. God knows what would happen if the new air bag could not push through the dash!

The air bags are fixed to a fixed position and the dash will only fit right in one place so he will be fine.

Not sure you will need a new module because at the end of the day it's just a computer and should be fine.

and you only need the centre of the steering wheel not the whole thing.