Aftermarket headunit wiring not quite right? No sub when faded forward.

Reaction score
I posted on the ICE forum but had no reply so trying here.

i have a kenwood bt73dab radio that I have just fitted to my b7 SE, replacing the concert stereo, non Bose.

i initially thought I needed the pc9-404 lead but after struggling with power, I got halfords to fit it and the guy says I needed the PC9-401 lead....

so it's plugged in, front and back speakers work and the sub works.

but, I'm pretty certain ( and my friend confirmed with his car) that when I fade forward the sub should still work.

with the new stereo faded forward fully, the sub doesn't move.

Can someone please confirm what happens with their concert stereo faded fully forward.
also, anyone else with an aftermarket headunit that could do the same test please. Thanks!​

your head unit may have rca outputs for rear and front not sub.w so you may have plugged the rca lead into rear or "rw" which means when you fade forward your fading down the sub

your head unit may have rca outputs for rear and front not sub.w so you may have plugged the rca lead into rear or "rw" which means when you fade forward your fading down the sub

The cable that halfords fitted doesn't use the RCA at all.

I do have the cable with RCA, and did get the rear speakers working in the end so halfords was wrong saying it didn't work, but presumed I was supposed to plug it into rear, not sub.

It doesn't actually say anywhere about where It should go.

I'll try sub on my stereo but I'm pretty sure that will mean the rear speakers will only get the sub output.

sorry re-read that ignore my post i thought you had an aftermarket sub , do you mean the oe sub

No problem!
yes I mean the sub that comes with the car.

I'm going to plug in the original concert stereo again tonight just to confirm the sub did stil work when faded forwards.

maybe the canbus does some extra controlling to independently set the sub volume compared to the rear/front speakers. After all there are LOADS of wires that go into it?