After advice as im @ a loss over whats wrong with the car

holmefield

Reaction score
1st off sorry for posting in the A6 section but it gets more hits than the A7 section and there the same engine and running gear anyway..

Right folks im after some advice i put a thread on here awhile ago about my A7 3 litre tdi and its strange water usage..

Mines a 2013 63 plate A7 245bhp

Basically its losing/using about 400/500ml of coolant every 300 miles i have monitored it over the last couple of months and its fairly constant with its coolant usage, it warms up fine no smoke gets to correct temp dosent over heat ( sat in traffic the digital temp may rise to about 102c but then drops back and holds @ mid 90's.

I had the water pump changed under warranty hoping it was that as the garage said it was failing, but its still using water. Its been pressure tested 3 times and holds correct pressure, theres no oil in the coolant reservoir no salad cream in the engine oil cap.

Its had a course of k-seal added still not had any effect, i've had the front bumper off and theres no radiator leaks that i can see, theres no leaks on the under tray or visable leaks on the engine or coolant pipes.

I've put a brand new coolant reservoir coolant cap on, still its using the coolant...so as you can guess im sratching my head big time now..

So after much digging on Google im wondering if my EGR cooler is starting to fail/leak theres no visable signs of leaks but i have taken a couple of screen shots of what i've read, has anybody had this issue or heard or had the EGR replaced on the newer 3 litre Tdi lumps????

Thank you.

20180329 201941 2822x2117

20180329 202509 2822x2117 2680x2010

Definitely egr cooler.
I started off with water pump just like yourself..

I’ve had a new egr cooler now on my bitdi.
Which comes at a premium and cost me in excess of £900.
I had various tests carried out, pressure test and then using UV ink to show where it would be leaking.
You can’t diagnose the cooler unless you remove everything surrounding it to visually see it.
Hope you get it sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers bud, yer its off to ADS automotive in preston on Tuesday for a pressure test and Uv check, to try and find the leak.

They like you evans1089 believe its the Egr intercooler, i told them the symptoms and 1st thing they said was most probably the Egr intercooler..

The ****** Egr cooler part is an Audi only/Tps only part so you get bummed big time on the price...

The expensive bit of the hole fitment is the EGR cooler Tps have quoted £609 for the part and Audi parts have quoted £641 both new parts, and since Tps provide parts to Audi parts anyway probably both from the same source!!!!

Im getting fitting quotes of between 5/10 hrs

Thanks evans1089, but its in the garage now with all the front end off

The garage ate fairly certain its the oil filter housing which had a crack in it anyway as there was a slight oil leak onto my belts.. but it turns out that the oil filter housing has a water pump snd gasket on the back of it.. and when under pressure theres water dripping out...