1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advice from AUDI Technician needed if any on here .

Gordon Stewart Feb 14, 2020

1. Gordon Stewart

Gordon Stewart Active Member

Are there any Audi technicians in here please I could ask about a problem , Thanks

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Administrators

Administrators Administrator Staff Member Administrator

4. Lehn

Lehn The van man Team Daytona Audi S3 DSG

I got 4 friends working at Audi (whom can actually use their brain) so please ask :) And you'll probably get a better answer in here than asking your local Audi shop anyway :whistle2:

davc and terminator x like this.
  5. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member

Do Audi actually do any "work" during an inspection service?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

pburv, Bryant1998, davc and 2 others like this.
  6. Goner

Goner Pending Deletion

If there’s no fault code you’ll be lucky.

Its rare to find a mechanic nowadays, technicians are just that.. scan for codes.. remove faulty part and replace with new... bolt off bolt on.. we live in a throwaway society now which is a shame.

sportback A3 and reefer110 like this.
  7. Gordon Stewart

Here is my problem : I have 1.8tfsi A3 Saloon S Line , it’s a 14 reg with 47k on click and full Audi service history , I bought it in August last year from Newcastle Audi and got a 2 year warranty with it . I live in Fife in Scotland so use Perth Audi . Here is the problem : When you are just starting to pull away there is a “tring” noise , it does it once, you then dip the clutch right away and it does the “ tring” noise once again. You can sit and rev ( blip the throttle all day and will not do it) as soon as you go to take up drive it does it , ( tring on revs up and then “tring” when revs fall back down) . I sounds as though the noise is coming from the Turbo area, I had it into Perth Audi who checked it over , they said the noise was coming from a Cam Adjuster Solinoid Valve , ( the first one that’s nearest the turbo and the timing chain end) . The thought the noise was coming from here as when they disconnected the electrical plug to it, then started to take up noise and try to get the noise then the noise was away , plugged it back in and the noise was back instantly . The Tech ordered the valve but said it would not be covered under the 2 yr Audi warranty because it was only noisey ( didn’t think that was right , however I was willing to pay for it) . The new solenoid came in and car went back in, he changed the solenoid and came to tell me still the same . Exactly the same thing, only when under load ( can sit and rev and there is nothing ) under load it goes “tring” and then dip clutch and leg revs fall it then goes “Tring” again . He tried disconnecting the new one and exactly the same as old one ( the noise it gone , even when under load )
    The tech then said he had found a Technical Bulletin and it is a “ Characteristic “ of the engine .
    I am sure this ixx sac not the case and is the easy way out for them , there had to be something wrong with something to do with the system that this Cam adjuster Solenoid valve is in . The Tech had said it’s something to do with the Vvti system .

Please can someone help me as there is clearly a fault with something here but they are now trying to wipe there hands if it and putting it down to a “characteristic “ of the car which I know it’s not

Many thanks in advance folks

8. Lehn

It's really a hit or miss to be honest, which is quite sad. My friends knows a lot about cars/engines and computers and they like their job, so they look at each car based on their knowledge about what can go wrong and typical failures in addition to following their check list.

I just talked to one of my friends working at VW/Audi/Skoda and he said some of his co-workers do a really sh!tty job and do it slow so it seems like they have checked everything but they haven't (even though it says it on the check sheet). The tester is the only thing that can really reveal if they have actually done anything whereas mechanical problems are more like "yeah I didn't saw that or feel that when I drove the car around the block, sorry".

This is my friends project right now, restoring his R32 MK4 engine. One of the only workers at the shop whom can actually dissemble and engine and build it again without looking in a manual or on the computer. Sadly for the shop he will study to mechanical engineer soon ;)
    upload_2020-2-14_10-15-17.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Bryant1998 and Damo S like this.
  9. Lehn

You should write him an e-mail asking him for the specific TPI number. If he can provide this and it says it really IS a characteristic of the car it's unfortunately just how it is. It's like the TPI for the wastegate rattle (2036787) which is also just a "characteristic" of the car.

10. Gordon Stewart

Hi Lehn, would you be able to ask your Audi Tech friends about this problem please . Is it an S3 you have then? As my 1.8 is basically the same engine with the same Ancillaries ( S3 has more power obviously ) does your car make the same noise ? Or have you heard any others making the same noise .
    Please someone help so I can get this fixed

thanks folks

11. Gordon Stewart

Hi Lehn, for the wastegate rattle I thought there was TPI on it and there was some sort of software update that could be done to eliminate the rattle ??

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Gordon Stewart

Surely if a part is making a noise , you then disconnect it and noise goes away then the part must be faulty ( or the system or part that this faulty part operates in there is a fault with ?.
    Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and I can get this fault fixed

thanks folks

14. davc

davc Well-Known Member Team Glacier S3 Saloon S tronic saloon Audi S3 quattro

Gordon seeing as you're in Fife get yourself over to Star Performance, Brian or Ewan will sort you out mate.

They're both proper mechanics, not like the clowns you find in dealerships.

Been using Star for over 20 years.

Jcbmally likes this.
  15. Gordon Stewart

I know, I have used Brian at Star Performance before , the only thing is I have a 2 year Audi warranty on my car from August when I bought it so should not have to pay anyone else to look at it and fix the problem

davc likes this.
  16. HOGG

HOGG Well-Known Member

Just go over to Star and ask for a professional ear.... That'll not cost

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

17. Gordon Stewart

Thank you , I may pop down but I don’t think they will be very happy to talk to me about it if they will not be getting the business as as I said I still have Audi warranty on the car

18. HOGG

HOGG Well-Known Member

Two years will soon be up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk