Adblue recall - Gearbox performing totally different

Tommmygunnn

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Collected my car from Liverpool Audi yesterday for a wheel bearing. Whilst it was in they briefly mentioned there was a recall for the adblue. They were very vague about what was actually done (i assume something to do with the emissions scandal). Service rep said they changed the adblue but i know it was more than that.

However, the gearbox and general driving about is behaving totally different. Much worse. The gearbox now upshifts much later/at high revs than it did before (the opposite of what you'd expect for emissions recall) similar to when it's in sport mode. For example driving around a supermarket car park, its sitting in 1st gear, when usually it would auto shift up to 2nd or 3rd gear. Motorway cruising its sitting in 7th at 75/80 mph, feels like it wants to go, it wants you to put your foot down.

The paddle shifts are MUCH stricter now, to the point it completely ignores your input and doesn't change gear as requested alot of the time, when before it would. At low speeds, and travelling something like 30mph on a long road and I want to put it up a gear but it wont let me, unless I increase speed or increase revs more than necassary. Before the recall it would never ignore a paddle up-shift, wether the timing/revs was sensible or not, but now it does, a lot.

I don't know what they've done, i've read on one thread elsewhere there was an adblue probe probably replaced, along with some form of updates, but I imagine a software update to the engine and gearbox, but its instantly made driving much less enjoyable, more distracting, the car is noisier due to sitting in lower gears than the engine sounds like it wants to be in, and probably less fuel efficient too.

The paddle shifts being ignored is happening regardless of drive select option. I've tested dynamic, eco, comfort, and individual.

Has anyone else had this update, or heard any similar reports? I will call the dealership back to query, but wanted to know if anyone else experienced this?

I have an earlier BiTDi which is not subject to the recall. While trying to eke out fuel on a recent motorway journey, I found that the paddle shift would ignore a request to change from 7th to 8th if the speed was not high enough.
That does not means that your car is right - you should definitely query with the dealer.

I have an earlier BiTDi which is not subject to the recall. While trying to eke out fuel on a recent motorway journey, I found that the paddle shift would ignore a request to change from 7th to 8th if the speed was not high enough.
That does not means that your car is right - you should definitely query with the dealer.
Yeah I've had the bitdi for 6 months now, and can't say it has ignored a manual upshift when you'd expect it to allow it. Obviously setting off it wouldn't ever let you stick it straight into 8th, but sensible changes, up and down, at various road speeds it's always allowed. You could then tell from revs/road speed/engine noise if you've maybe selected a gear too low or too high for current conditions.

Its definitely changed though, and makes using the paddles almost pointless for the odd upshift now. The issue also happens when you knock the gear stick into full manual mode, it still doesn't let you select the gears manually at almost any given point like it would before.

I need to take the car out later to do some more testing. Perhaps Audi will play dumb when I call. I'm sure a proper remap would solve it, but I'm frustrated with what they've changed with my car right now.

It has had an emissions update. They ruined mine too by doing this. I noticed it didn't use 8th until over 62mph under any circumstances. It would stay in 8th to about 50mph before changing down. Before they ruined it, it would happily change into top around 54/55. You will also find it way down on torque and power. The increased hold the the gears will give you the impression nothing has changed.
After their interference, they said you get x amount of free adblu top ups as adblu usage will increase. Shortly after this, say 8-12 weeks, your egr valve will fail and they will say it's not related. If you think I'm wrong or scaremongering, reread this in six months. Been there, done that.
My advice is get it dyno'd and then get a remap if you don't want to challenge Audi. I doubt you'll get 260/270bhp from it now.

Daz

Reactions: audiwaterpump
It has had an emissions update. They ruined mine too by doing this. I noticed it didn't use 8th until over 62mph under any circumstances. It would stay in 8th to about 50mph before changing down. Before they ruined it, it would happily change into top around 54/55. You will also find it way down on torque and power. The increased hold the the gears will give you the impression nothing has changed.
After their interference, they said you get x amount of free adblu top ups as adblu usage will increase. Shortly after this, say 8-12 weeks, your egr valve will fail and they will say it's not related. If you think I'm wrong or scaremongering, reread this in six months. Been there, done that.
My advice is get it dyno'd and then get a remap if you don't want to challenge Audi. I doubt you'll get 260/270bhp from it now.

Daz

Thanks for the info as much as its bad to hear, but at least I'm not imagining it! The car is frustrating to drive at the moment. I've not noticed it feeling down on power, but i've not really put my foot down too much since having it back, perhaps I need to see.

Did you get yours remapped after these problems and happy with the results afterwards? I've tried to find out if gearbox mapping is common yet for the ZF gearboxes as I remember reading that it wasn't possible at first.

I've been busy the past few days since they've did the recall but I'll give Audi a call to complain and see what they say.

I was advised by my local indie to have the updates done as it's then logged as done by Audi. A week later he had it in and it was at around 267? but now sits at 395bhp. It is not a sport tune as such and could have been more aggressive but that's not what I needed. ZF boxes are easily mapped in BMW's from Google searches but it seems few people do it for Audi. My tuner didn't touch mine. I must admit I was happier with the older gearbox software.
My Egr valve failed and you're looking around £200 to £600 depending on what you want to fit. I chose to have it mapped out when it failed. Yes the car is secondhand and things fail, but so MANY vag emission fixes result in failed Egr valves shortly after the 'fix'.

Daz

Thanks for the info bud. Just looking for a company fairly local that know what they're doing with Audi tuning and preferably big diesels. Dyno would be a bonus that's for sure. I spoke to Audi, rep on phone wasnt much help so i'll take your advice and leave it as 'checked off' in Audis eyes.

In terms of egr delete/mapped out, do you still have the DPF? I've sure blanking egr can cause dpf issues pretty quickly? I've previously been through a long DPF gutting nightmare with my B7 Avant and would prefer to avoid the PITA again, especially with a 2000 mile road trip coming up in the new year :D

I can't comment on any issues tbh. It's been mapped out maybe 18months now? Everything is as it should be and it does It's regens when needed. The tuner who did mine does motorsport work as well, he was a trainer at Audi Milton Keynes for many years before setting up on his own. He knows his onions and I have been happy with all the 'extras" that my car has gained in his workshop. His knowledge is invaluable to me and has discussed other items regarding my wife's mazda. He is a very busy man but always explains it in a simplistic but thorough way. Get someone who knows what they're doing and you won't regret the change they can bring to a car that has effectively been strangled.

Reactions: Tommmygunnn
I’m glad I didn’t turn up to my Adblue recall on my Bitdi.
Yeah mine was just booked in for a wheel bearing and they sprung this on me when i dropped the car off. They were incredibly vague with details, only said it was to replace the adblue and an adblue sensor or probe. Had I known before turning up I would have researched the recall prior to agreeing. From my experience now I would avoid it at all costs if you enjoy how the car drives as it is.

Reactions: audiwaterpump and Audidi
Yeah mine was just booked in for a wheel bearing and they sprung this on me when i dropped the car off. They were incredibly vague with details, only said it was to replace the adblue and an adblue sensor or probe. Had I known before turning up I would have researched the recall prior to agreeing. From my experience now I would avoid it at all costs if you enjoy how the car drives as it is.
Yes.
They replace a sensor. It’s to fix the adblue warning system which basically turns off adblue when the levels are low so that you won’t be stuck if adblue completely runs out.
I always keep my adblue topped up so not interested !

Its not the sensor change that's the problem, it also involves updating ECU and TCU software versions which have cause the issues discussed above. The sensor and software change is to fix a hack that was in the software to fake the emissions results to pass MOT emissions tests, not just to prevent you getting stuck if adblue gets too low. Something along those lines anyway. Definitely avoid it where possible. Others have reported similar problems since this update in other forums

For anyone needing this in the future, I got this emission fix rollback done yesterday by a chap called VAG Tune found through social media.

Car is instantly back to performing how it was from the factory. None of this post emissions scandal bodge job software update crap they've been rolling out under the disguise of "just an adblue recall". Yes, they do some kind of adblue sensor change in the process, but fail to mention or acknowledge any ecu+tcu updates which cause the issues.

- Gear changes back to normal.
- Quicker and smoother from standstill.
- Lost performance has returned.
- Throttle response improved.
- Overall not as sluggish/lazy.
- Smoother gear changes across the range.
- Sits in 8th gear on motorway trips correctly, no longer keeps dropping to 7th for no reason.
- Fuel efficiency improved (did 6 hour round trip yesterday).

Cost £99 to rollback both the ecu+tcu, or £65 individually, and took less than an hour.

I'm now a happy chap again! The past few months since the recall I've not enjoyed the car very much to be honest.

Reactions: audiwaterpump and Audidi
For anyone needing this in the future, I got this emission fix rollback done yesterday by a chap called VAG Tune found through social media.

Car is instantly back to performing how it was from the factory. None of this post emissions scandal bodge job software update crap they've been rolling out under the disguise of "just an adblue recall". Yes, they do some kind of adblue sensor change in the process, but fail to mention or acknowledge any ecu+tcu updates which cause the issues.

- Sits in 8th gear on motorway trips correctly, no longer keeps dropping to 7th for no reason.

Cost £99 to rollback both the ecu+tcu, or £65 individually, and took less than an hour.

I'm now a happy chap again! The past few months since the recall I've not enjoyed the car very much to be honest.
Hiya, got a link for this place you mention? I'd be interested in talking with them about doing the same thing. I bought my 2015 plate last year and it defo has all the latest software, if rolling back increases fuel efficiency and performance etc I'm interested!

Hiya, got a link for this place you mention? I'd be interested in talking with them about doing the same thing. I bought my 2015 plate last year and it defo has all the latest software, if rolling back increases fuel efficiency and performance etc I'm interested!
Hi Andy, sure i'll send you a PM with his details

Reactions: AndyB40

Hiya, any of the version of the software they rolled back to? I have an A7 2015 bitdi and although I like the way it drives, if an earlier version improves mpg and performance I'm all for it!