ACC Troubles.....

Peter1201

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a F/L S3 fitted with ACC, and assist Pres sense etc.

Last week I had a warning telling me Distance Control and Pre Sense was no longer available, and on further investigation AAC was not available. I'd just done appropriately 100 miles and had just come off the motorway a mile to two from home when the warnings came up.

The car is at the dealer, and they have told me the radar sensor requires re-alignment and are blaming some sort of collision or knock to the sensor. Therefore my fault.

I've not had any knocks/collisions and the front of the car is unmarked, as is the sensor , no scratches, chips etc.

I've looked through the forums but can't find anything on this, has anyone else experienced ACC problems? I ask as I am currently refusing to accept (without a fight!) a charge of £444.00 to fix the issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
Fight the power - my car had an airbag controller module issue, the dealer was insisting that this issue only happens when the car has been in a crash/knock. Of course no external signs of this as no knock/crash had happened plus I know the owner of the car since new and so was confident that the car had not been in an accident at all. Luckily they carried out additional testing to ensure that this was the case (i.e. that I was being truthful) and ended up replacing the unit under (extended) warranty.

Although different problem to yours, it shows that dealers make mistakes and you need to stand your ground.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Peter1201
Hi all

I have a F/L S3 fitted with ACC, and assist Pres sense etc.

Last week I had a warning telling me Distance Control and Pre Sense was no longer available, and on further investigation AAC was not available. I'd just done appropriately 100 miles and had just come off the motorway a mile to two from home when the warnings came up.

The car is at the dealer, and they have told me the radar sensor requires re-alignment and are blaming some sort of collision or knock to the sensor. Therefore my fault.

I've not had any knocks/collisions and the front of the car is unmarked, as is the sensor , no scratches, chips etc.

I've looked through the forums but can't find anything on this, has anyone else experienced ACC problems? I ask as I am currently refusing to accept (without a fight!) a charge of £444.00 to fix the issue.

Thanks

Have you had new windscreen!

Cause I know auto glass charge to realign windscreen etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely it's just the sensor in the front grill that needs an alignment?
It's only 3 screws to adjust but you need the proper alignment tool and maybe a 4 wheel tracking, but at £444 they're having your pants down!

Surely it's just the sensor in the front grill that needs an alignment?
It's only 3 screws to adjust but you need the proper alignment tool and maybe a 4 wheel tracking, but at £444 they're having your pants down!

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. My beef is it shouldn't require any adjustment if it have been installed - or designed even - correctly

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. My beef is it shouldn't require any adjustment if it have been installed - or designed even - correctly
In the near 2 years I had my pfl S3, the ACC was faultless, but I understand it is low down at the front of the vehicle so it could potentially move slightly.
A couple of times over potholes it faulted in the dis, but reset after an ignition cycle.
I'm in the process of retrofitting it to my SQ5 and will be ready for the alignment soon so I'll be interested to see how you get on if it does need aligning.
Surely they cant charge more than an hour?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

If there is no visible damage on or indeed around the sensor then I would be taking this up with Audi UK. I have seen issues like this with both Audi's and VW's and no no reason at all and dealerships are always trying to blame owners.

The pricing is based on the kit needed to calibrate ACC, its not cheap! 3rd Party ADAS kit is around £8000 at best, OEM is approaching £35k! Due to these prices the dealers ask a fair amount of money with the most I have found to be £745 inc VAT. Most dealerships also do not have this kit and farm the works out to other dealers and sometimes independents. Last time I enquired there was only one dealership in North London able to do this.

Reactions: Peter1201 and -Ju-
Funny this came up, my wife’s VW has just had the same fault come up. Took it into VW as there was no damage, they said there’s nothing physically wrong with it but for whatever reason (but ‘likely external influences’) it had ‘lost its vision’, and because there’s no faults showing with the thing itself, I have to cover the bill. They quoted £149 so where the hell theyre getting 444 from I don’t know! Anyway, I refused to pay even that and told them I’ll be taking it further, usual VW Lookers, FOS!!

I had this fault. Replaced the sensor under warranty - but fight that tooth and nail mate.

Reactions: Pook and Peter1201