Abs problem???

jay1

Reaction score
As above took my misses 8l a3 1.8t round the block earlier and it felt like I hit something the car without touching the brake seemed to brake really violently and I nearly went through the wind screen!! I think I have heard of this before isit due to either a sensor or the abs ring on the back of the hub? And the sensor thinks the wheel is not turning. I have no abs light on and no fault codes. On my s3 when my sensor went it altogether turned off the abs and the warning light came on so ifi disconnect the sensor this should disengage the abs and get rid of the problem? I don't want to drive it even a low speed it juddered really violently I have read it will only happen at low speed but don't want to take the risk

I have disconnected the drivers front abs sensor and have the abs light on and when I hit the brakes it locks up so abs not working but I'm still getting a juddering every now and again from the front could it be a drive shaft on its way out?

Do you get judder through the pedal / steering wheel or both?

I'm getting a judder through my pedal at the moment and unsure why but it has been parked up for 4 weeks, just not sure some surface rust on the discs could cause pedal to judder. Would like to know more if you found anything out.

No I have been searching the web for last few days can't seem to find anything out. I thought It was abs related but now I'm thinking maybe drive shaft cv or something like that. Could your problem be a warped disk or something?

Dont think its Warped Discs as brakes where spot on, then parked up for 4weeks with the occasional start up. Jumped in it and pedal just judders when you come to a stop. Now I went for a good 10mile drive applying brakes (heard no grinding noises) as I though it was surface rust on discs but it's still there.

It can yeh, if a boot is split then the grease comes out and the joints become dry and then can be rough when turning or when driving at slow sleep you cam usually hear it. If they are not to bad then you can clean, re-grease and fit new boots.

It can yeh, if a boot is split then the grease comes out and the joints become dry and then can be rough when turning or when driving at slow sleep you cam usually hear it. If they are not to bad then you can clean, re-grease and fit new boots.

Nice one thanks

Dont think its Warped Discs as brakes where spot on, then parked up for 4weeks with the occasional start up. Jumped in it and pedal just judders when you come to a stop. Now I went for a good 10mile drive applying brakes (heard no grinding noises) as I though it was surface rust on discs but it's still there.

Found this might be of some help

[h=2]Warped Brake Discs[/h]Typically, brake juddering is a sign that the brake discs have become warped. Although excessive and hard braking can cause early brake warping, it is something that occurs naturally over time with everyday use. Normally, a replacement set of brake discs will cure the issue, stopping brake juddering in its tracks.

[h=2]Seized Calipers[/h]Although replacing a warped brake disc will resolve the issue the majority of the time, there are many circumstances where the new brake disc will immediately warp again, which means something else is going on. Seized calipers can be another cause of premature brake disc warping. Sometimes caliper pistons seize, and at other times caliper sliding pins seize. Both cause an uneven force to be exerted on the brake disc, resulting in warpage. This leads to consistent brake juddering

[h=2]Brake Pads[/h]Brake pads can be another potential problem area. If your vehicle is outfitted with cheap or poor quality brake pads, they can quickly overheat---especially if you're prone to braking hard. When excessive amounts of heat build up in the brake pads, the discs can overheat, resulting in brake warpage.

[h=2]Hubs[/h]One of the less common issues that can ultimately lead to brake juddering can be found in the hubs. If a hub warps, the attached disc will transmit the vibration, resulting in brake juddering. If there is rust present on the hub face and the disc is fitted over the top of the rust, this causes the fitting to not be secure, which can also result in vibrations being transmitted to the brakes.

Vex182:1782005 said:
Seized rear calipers appear to be quite common now.

Is this for the judder in the brake pedal?
I stripped mine apart in December, cleaned and lubed it all up with Plastilube and used Red grease on all the seals.
After that brakes where ok, then since it's been parked up throughout January and jumped in it on Saturday the problem of a juddering brake pedal has started.
The previous owner had both rear calipers replaced in 2010 or 2011. Got invoice at home!

The judder is only in the pedal and not the steering wheel.... I thought it could be something to do with the abs sensors, but I'm unsure!

The judder is only in the pedal and not the steering wheel.... I thought it could be something to do with the abs sensors, but I'm unsure!

I have not come across this myself so I am not sure what it will feel like, just seem to read it a fair bit on here.