A4 Registered 2009 with High Pressure Fuel Pump

2009Audi

Reaction score
My A4 SE TDi 6sp one morning last week on first start produced an unusual noise near the fan belt. I just when started to drive off..engine cut out 100 meters into driving.
Took the car on a loader to my garage.
He later in the week called me to show the opened HPFP where I could see very fine glistening sand like material in the diesel.
I understand company Audi will not guarantee the new HPFP installed unless the whole mettalic pipes to the engine feeding fuel and the back pump near the tank ect changed for new.
The repair the pump alone is going to cost over £1300.00 without replacing the metallic pipes and pump near the diesel tank.
I had the Campbelt and water pump changed two years ago at 80000 miles.
Present reading on the clock is 10000 miles.
This process for changing the HPFP will require dismantling the Campbelt ect. To change all that Campbelt &water pump for a new again will cost additional parts and labour. This will push repairs to over £1600.00.
The car is not worth over £2800.00.
The car otherwise look and work so well.
Could I get another 6 months out by just replacing the HPFP alone with cleaning the diesel and the line?
May I thank you in advance for your time to answer.

Problem is, if you found metallic shavings in the HPFP, the injectors will now most likely be goosed also. So you need to factor them into account.

Reactions: 2009Audi
Could I be assured of problem free, if 4 injectors, fuel Rail, and two pumps at the back are changed along with a new HPFP and diesel is removed from tank and the fuel line is cleaned?

What is the mechanism for mettalic shavings to appear?
Had always done regular servicing& Had particulate filter changed as recommended,
Miles done 107000 or there about.
I use to hear others mentioning that Diesel engine run for ever!!! Life at 107000 is a bit short is it not?

Just like your thoughts

The Cp4.x is a terrible pump design. The cam lobe usually gets damaged by the roller, the pistons are steel but the pump housing is aluminium. The result is it will eventually wear and you will find metal shavings in your pump.

You will need to replace the HPFP and injectors and thoroughly clean all the the fuel lines, new fuel filter also.

Alternatively you can get a CP3 pump and get someone to tune the car, that pump is pretty much bulletproof.

Reactions: 2009Audi