A4 B9 MY16 - Squeaky Steering Rack/Column

Exx-on

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a weird squeaky (like the sound of an old door hinge slowly opening) sound whenever I turn my steering wheel.

I’ve had it for a little over a year now and it only used to be in the warmer months (which in the UK is usually about 1 a year) so I could live with it. It rather detracts from the nice quiet interior of the car and is becoming rather annoying!!

Before I go squirting WD40 around like a mad man, has anyone come across this before? And is there any special type of grease I should look to use?

I don’t want to squirt lubricant on the steering rack to then find out later down the line it has broken some other type of needed grease down.

Any thoughts/comments from anywhere other then my own deteriorating sanity are welcomed!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the sound coming from inside or outside the cabin?

My old A5 B9 used to have a squeak / creak occasional when turning the steering wheel and eventually tracked that down to trim / cowl that sits just below the wheel. Bit of silicon spray sorted the issue

Reactions: Exx-on
100% inside the cabin - it sounds as though it’s coming from behind the steering wheel before the column disappears into the cowling.

I try grab a video and post it if I can!

Did you take the steering wheel/cowling off to lubricate it or just do it as is?

Cheers!

Just did it as is and used the silicon sparingly -

i eventually found it by putting pressure on the cowl in different places and found it stopped until I took the pressure off again. you might want to give this a try first.

if I recall it was worse when it warmer and came from the right hand side

Have the same issue - at least I can describe "like the sound of an old door hinge slowly opening"

I've recoreded this:

It's the same as yours?
It happens if I slowly/normal rotate the wheel to the left.

Went to dealership and the boss said it's normal and not an issue. :/
So... no fix yet. Tried with WD40 Silicon where the steering column meet the rubber in the pedal area. No fix. I feel like the sound is coming from the steering area

Dealer is talking b******s if they are saying that’s normal!

From memory mine was similar to that and only did it periodically - not all the time.

Per previous post noise on mine came from the top just where the steering wheel met the plastic cowl rather than near pedal area

Reactions: Void20 and Exx-on
Here is a disgustingly compressed video of what mine sounds like:

Hard to tell exactly where it’s coming from.

I took my car into Audi a few years back when it was still under warranty and they also told me that this ‘wasn’t an issue’.

No probably not a function issue - but it is f***ing annoying!

Last edited:
@Exx-on yours is different, it may be fixed if you lubricate the rubber in the bottom part of steering column (pedal area).
Check this TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10128296-9999.pdf

@Frizzley I think my issue is like was yours. I mean, it's temperature dependent, I can hear it in hot days only.
I will test with the pressure on the cowl when I can reproduce the noise. Thanks!

You may well be correct!

That TSB you linked with the audio file does sound very similar to what I have.

I’ll see what I can do and report back!

Any ideas on what type of lubricant I should use?

I don’t really want to have to use the exact, rather expensive lubricant listed in the official Audi TSB!

Per previous post noise on mine came from the top just where the steering wheel met the plastic cowl rather than near pedal area
Can you please post a photo with an arrow showing the area where you pressed / sprayed?
I've tried to apply pressure by pressing my fingers in multiple areas on the cowl, both upper and lower one.. and the change in the noise
Thanks!

Can you please post a photo with an arrow showing the area where you pressed / sprayed?
I've tried to apply pressure by pressing my fingers in multiple areas on the cowl, both upper and lower one.. and the change in the noise
Thanks!
Hi

The car went back last year so I can’t send you a photo but from memory it was definitely at the top on 5he the right hand side in area between the back of the steering whee and where the light the light stalk is

Reactions: Void20
Hello,
Thanks but unfortunately no go. I've tried to apply pressure while moving the steering wheel pretty much everywhere and noise still there. On mine the noise appear when turning slightly left. No noise when turning right.