A4 B9 50TDI: Dynamic Steering Sensation/Vibration

Is your dynamic steering smooth or do you feel the harmonic drive operating in the steering wheel?

• Everything super smooth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel small vibrations in some driving situations when rapidly changing steering angles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Simon01

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just received my new car a month ago and so far it has been more trouble than fun. There were quite some things that were broken/not properly put together right out of production which is why the car spend 1/3 of its lifetime at the Audi dealership so far. :wtf:

The one thing they couldn't resolve and which they claim to be "normal" is a weird sensation in the steering wheel when going trough tight corners and rapidly changing the steering angle.
My car has dynamic steering and when entering e.g. roundabouts with ~30kmh and then rapidly leaving them (pretty high steering angle initially + rapid change of steering direction), I feel slight high-frequency vibrations in the steering wheel that almost feel like I'd feel the harmonic drive gear used in the dynamic steering package operating.
Drive Select settings don't really make a big difference, while having the feeling that in "Comfort" mode it is a bit more apparent.
I'm used to have butter smooth steering on all the higher end cars I'm driving, so this is very strange to me. At the same time I never had dynamic steering before.

Unfortunately, my dealership doesn't have another A4 with dynamic steering in their lot for a test drive, but maybe I can find somebody with the same setup here who could let me know his experience with dynamic steering in such situations?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon

50 TDI (3.0)? I thought the A4 B9 no longer came in the 3.0L diesel engine, with nothing bigger than 40 TDI in the UK? Unless it was a typo?

50 TDI (3.0)? I thought the A4 B9 no longer came in the 3.0L diesel engine, with nothing bigger than 40 TDI in the UK? Unless it was a typo?
Hi Psychopomp,

I'm located in Germany. Over here you could order the 50TDI for ~3 months between February and April this year. So it is kind of a rare animal, but it exists. ;-)

Reactions: psychopomp1