1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear

gaz_360 May 28, 2018

1. gaz_360

gaz_360 New Member

Hi All,

Have been a long term viewer of the forum, previously owned an A3 saloon and managed to find plenty of answers on here when needed - Fantastic info and advice, has been really appreciated! Hoping you might be able to help me on this one...

Purchased an A4 saloon back in February and have been very happy with it, apart from one annoying issue...

There appears to be a creaking/tapping noise coming from the rear, around the parcel shelf/D pillar trims area. Having asked passengers in the back where they think the noise is coming from, nearly all of them have said it sounds like it's behind the near side D pillar trim.

I've spent quite a while searching for possible fixes, came across a few threads where people had a similar problem, but never really managed to find a definitive answer regarding what needs to be done to remedy the noise.

Also managed to find some possible TSB numbers - 2046397/1, 10091076, A641639 2046 - Unfortunately, although the titles of those TSBs include something along the lines of 'Creaking from rear', then don't elaborate on what the Audi technician would need to do to solve the fault.

Think a lot of people took their cars straight back to Audi when the fault appeared, and as they were still under warranty, the fix was sorted there and then. Having checked with the Audi garage where I purchased the A4 from, they confirmed that rattles are only covered for the first year of warranty, any investigation work and fixes would now be chargeable.

Decided a few weeks ago to try and track down the noise myself. Removed the D pillar trims and parcel shelf - Managed to find a few clips/fixings that were loose, applied some foam tape to stop them moving. The sub bolts also got tightened as they weren't overly tight. However the next day on the way to work, the noise reappeared pretty much straight away, no difference in frequency (Was hoping I may of at least dulled the noise slightly).

So that's about where I'm at. Have taken some photos to see if you kind people might be able to pinpoint the bits I need to be looking at - From the descriptions that some people have given, there's some sort of fixing above the D pillar trim, going into the roof lining that rubs against the rear glass, but I can't find anything that looks like it could be rubbing? Have circled a popper/fixing in red, does anyone know if that's the offending piece?

upload_2018-5-28_13-3-54.png

upload_2018-5-28_13-4-14.png

Would really appreciate any info or guidance on this, absolutely love driving the car, but the noise is driving me mad!

Thanks for your time :)

WesT-gefül likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. gaz_360

gaz_360 New Member

4. SwordfishCoupe

SwordfishCoupe Member

Hello, reminds me of when car sunroofs freeze in sub zero temps.

Just in interest have you tried a rear passenger supporting the glass or wedging something against it? Could be the glass and would be good to rule it out.

I would leave the panel off for a few days and see if any louder as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Good idea, I’ve just removed it so will see what happens this week. Who knows, could even be the D pillar trim itself causing the problem, will hopefully soon find out.

Will reply back with any findings (Y)

6. Smudge973

Smudge973 Member

Hi Gareth

Have you read my thread below, my car has been in for over a week, brand new black edition, rear glass has even been out...

Audi are speaking with AudiAG and I hope something is resolved this week, my leasing company even mentioned rejecting the car... long way from that hopefully...

7. Smudge973

Smudge973 Member

8. cjp2k

cjp2k Active Member Team Daytona saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

I had mine fixed with the same noise. My car wasnt in the tsb list of effected cars but they replaced tge clips apparently which stopped it

9. gaz_360

gaz_360 New Member

Hi Smudge,

Having had a read of your post, it's annoying to see that it seems that Audi don't really know how to fix it properly. Totally understand that not every car with the same/similar rattle will have the same source of the rattle, but they must surely know which parts need changing/modifying to resolve. Taking the window out certainly seems a bit drastic to me!

Really hope they manage to get it sorted for you, especially as it's only a few weeks old.

Having had the D pillar trim removed for a week now, with regular runs to work etc, I can honestly say I've not heard the noise once. However at this point, I'm not too sure if I can call it a 'fair test', as the temperatures have been quite high this week - Previously when the D pillar trim was in place, the noise appeared when temperatures were around 10-15 degrees C. I'll keep the trim off for another week, think the temps are meant to be dipping slightly, and see if it still stays silent.

I'll do some more investigation around the area while the trim is off - Having looked at the clips on the trim, I can't see what would cause the noise, so I'm thinking when everything is back together, the D pillar trim might be pushing the head lining piece closer towards something around the rear glass causing the noise. Guessing with the trim removed, the headlining might be a bit more relaxed, therefore not touching the glass - Purely speculation at this point though.

Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose you know which clips in particular were replaced?

10. SwordfishCoupe

SwordfishCoupe Member

Gareth,

Just in interest did you eventually find the cause of this and all sorted?

I have a really annoying creak over some minor bumpers and going around some bends. For the life of me cannot figure where it coming from. I have packed out the tool tray in the boot etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

11. gaz_360

gaz_360 New Member

Apologies for the slow reply.

Unfortunately it's still there, more so now the cold weather has arrived - It seems to make it occur more often.

I've tried quite a few things:

Removed D Pillar trims
    Removed Parcel Shelf
    Removed inner boot liner pieces (Left and right)
    Removed boot scuff plate
    Removed high level brake light

With the pieces above removed (Although not all at the same time), then drove the car for roughly a week to see if the noise changed or disappeared. Unfortunately the noise remained, I can't even say the frequency of the noise changed with those items removed.

Although I've not given up completely, I think the issue must be related to the glass itself, or the way it has been fitted - Especially as the number of vehicles having the issue is so high.

I'll make sure to update the thread with any more findings.

SwordfishCoupe and cuke2u like this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. SwordfishCoupe

SwordfishCoupe Member

My next step after all that would be remove the rear seats just in case!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk