A4 B8 3.0 TDI Drivetrain Issue

Hoggy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Over the last few weeks I've started to notice what can be described as a ticking/whirring noise coming from the general vicinity of the gearbox. Initially I thought it was an outer CV joint however I inspected the CVs and they seem to be in reasonable condition with no damage to the boots. Additionally the noise is now happening in a straight line as well as on lock, and I've traced it to the middle of the engine bay with the help of a friend.

This is a video I took, rolling between 1000 and 1800 RPM in first (any faster and road noise drowns the noise out). I appreciate this fault is clearly in the early stages but I would like to try and diagnose it early.

Initially I thought flywheel however the noise ONLY occurs when I'm accelerating and the clutch is engaged. If the clutch is disengaged or I'm off the power there is no noise whatsoever, it immediately halts. There are no unusual vibrations and no other detectable symptoms.

My thoughts now lead in the direction of the front diff (which unfortunately would mean a new gearbox). The car is a 2008 (08) A4 B8 3.0 TDI Quattro with 80k on the clock.

I would appreciate any input you guys may have to offer.

Many thanks
David

Hi folks,

Quick update - there is also a whine coming from the box now. It increases with road speed and is only present when the clutch is engaged and I'm accelerating.