A4 B6 2.5TDI V6 (Power loss/Noise)

mangolo

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Ive got a B6 Avant with the 2.5TDI V6 Quattro Auto AKE Engine.
Couple of things ive got problems with and some advice would be great!
  • Noisy engine (160,000 miles) haven't taken it appart to evaluate the cams etc yet
  • Oil Sensor warning light (this is the 'Sensor' not 'Level' warning, i'd assume this means the sensor is faulty? Or does it indicate pressure? im not sure..)
  • Loss of power with some slight smoke coming from behind the turbo (i previously attempted dropping the exhaust & DPF to remove dpf and customise exhaust, i think this may be blowing due to how i reinstalled it, but also maybe a sign the turbo is nackered?)

Ive uploaded a couple of videos of the engine running from cold and once warm, there's a definite whirling/hiss from the turbo on revving, not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Generally looking for input if possible, around 6 months ago it had lost quite alot of power and had been sitting until now. Runs alot better at present which may mean it's intermittent or just temporary issue?

Ill upload another video soon.

Last edited:
Just opened her up. Cams are fine almost no wear it seems. Also took alook at the turbo and no signs of catching or fouling parts.
One area I did find concerning is the injectors. They are totally caked. Will have a go at.cleaning them. (could this be a contributor or the main source of.my.problem with power/noise?)

So ive already had comments that the lobes are worn, some advice/opinions would be appreciated on if anything below needs attention (as im abit out of my knowledge base).

6AGoVdk.jpg

ugzzbAH.jpg
5y1dsSz.jpg
fNPCW3R.jpg
6OPRnlB.jpg
k7RU3Ex.jpg

2iNMvQ2.jpg

mJUsZ95.jpg

QC07ETe.jpg

trZYMTm.jpg

Bump - Really need some advice, do my pictures represent a knackered engine?

You need someone like Adamms24(Chris) to advise.Is it an early one?Whats the service history ?Right oil used?My book says if the red oil light comes on you shouldnt drive it low pressure?My previous one had a noisy turbo which I assumed was normal cos it stayed like it for 3yrs but present one is OK so maybe it wasnt

Hey, Service history was pretty immaculate, had alot of money spent on it over the years, however it has done over 160,000m now.
Had some comments from other people outside the forum saying its dead and propper worn out, but i cant tell personally.

Indeed, some expert opinion would be appreciated!

I don't see any mention of you getting fault codes read. Are you getting any codes generated ? There are so many things could be wrong that it is impossible to diagnose without more information. A simple thing to check is a stuck EGR valve. On the AKE engine these are mechanical and don't generate fault codes so it may be worth blanking it off if not already done and check to see if this improves things. Most other faults will generate a code of some sort i.e. injector pump, turbo either over or under boost, MAF sensor, MAP Sensor, N75 valve, split intake hose, split vacuum pipe, boost hose, etc. All will throw some form of fault code. The cams look good, and if there is no slap in the turbo bearing then it is likely ok although the vanes could be stuck or the impeller damaged on the exhaust side that you can;t see but again these will throw up codes. Don't listen to those that say the engine is ****** at 160k, these are fit for plenty more than that if reasonably cared for. Look at other threads which shows some really high mileage examples. Mines at 190k and still going strong.

Hey Abyrne153
Thanks for your input, when i last borrowed a friends VCDS the only codes i had were relating to the oil sensor (which is a yellow warning light by the way), and items relating to other electrical issues relating to Headlights and Bulbs.
I've had a look at the turbo from both sides and there doesnt seem to be any signs of damage or fouling.

Unfortunately i don't have access to a genuine VCDS, and i don't know anyone local enough to borrow one off.

I will have a go at blanking the EGR and see if this improves at all.

The EGR valve is the only thing I can think of that will greatly effect performance but not throw a code. Maybe someone else can offer some further thoughts ? The injectors look ok by the way.

Yours doesn't sound that noisy but you need to compare alongside another.Cams s/b OK if its always had plenty of the right oil.Yellow light with the word sensor is only a faulty sensor

So im assuming that means the Oil Level Sensor is faulty? Or does it represent another sensor entirely?
Ill run a compression test on it when i get my hands on the equipment too, to get a general idea of how its performing.
Ill also have ago at an EGR delete, from what im reading i can just remove the vacuum pipe to see if this will help? Or would it be better to blank it off entirely? If so are there any guides on here?

Thanks to everyone for all your help so far!

The egr could be stuck open so that would mean blocking the vacuum pipe would have no effect. Use a blanking plate.

My book says that the light is just the sensor but it s/b sorted.No hurry if like me you don't rely on it and check levels regulary.Do you know when and how the cambelt was changed?When mine was done by Chris he found the timing way out and it now starts and runs better

Reactions: mangolo
Ill have to have a look through the history and check, i cant be sure off the top of my head.
Ill blank it off, have ordered plates already.

Thanks - Ill let you know how i get on.
Jake.

The recommended timing belt interval is 80k. At 160 you should be due you second change if not already done.

Cams look good mate, engine is pretty clean inside and injectors are actually clean compared with some i have seen ! As above, i would check that turbo actuator is moving up when the car is started and goes down when you rev it hard...have someone with VCDS do a boost log, it will tell me a lot more what the car does...

Reactions: mangolo
Ok cool, good to know! Ill check tomorrow and let you know, ill also look into the oil pressure sensor per your message and see if i can find the cause of all these issues!

If i can get it to a stage where it's ready to go back on the road im sure i could get it to you in london sometime, but need to sort afew other bits first, namely bulb failures and headlight leveling sensor -.-

Start one job, 5 more pop up!