A4 Avant suspension and tyre questions...

Nufab

Reaction score
hey guys,

I've got a few problems with my 2005 A4 Avant TDi...

It's due an MOT soon, and has a lot of play in the front suspension. I intend to change all of the bushes at the front, and the drop links. Am I best just buying standard, or are there any updated parts I could fit to improve the car? I don't want poly bushes etc as its a family car, but if there's anything better than what's fitted to a standard TDi then I might go for that. It's FWD, by the way.

The car also needs new dampers. Again, I don't want anything overly expensive and don't want rock hard suspension, but which brands / models are worth getting to improve the car a bit?

Tyres... I've got Goodyear Eagle f1s on it at the moment, but they've worn in a sawtooth pattern at the rear and make a right old noise. I'm only going to do the fronts for now as they're shagged and the back ones will go a bit longer, but I'd like the same tyres all round eventually. Are any tyres less likely to wear like this?

Cheers,

Chris

I take it that you've had your tracking done ?
Could alignment not be the problem with the poor wearing and road noise from the back tyres?
Is your car an S-line ? If so, the standard "sport" suspension is rather hard and crashy. I've heard good things about Bilstein and Eibach but have only had cheap coilovers and air suspension so can't give you any direct experience.

It's not an S-Line, just a regular SE.

I've not done the tracking... Ive had poke around with a pry bar and some of the bushes are definitely knackered, so I'll do the lot while I have the car apart. I'll get the tracking done afterwards. Not sure the rear end is adjustable at all though, which is where the problem is with the tyres... The front ones are just worn out and need changing.

I'll have a look at bilsteins then.. Anyone know any particular type?