Looking to purchase A4 Avant, questions

Rackers

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase an A4 Avant and I've decided that I'd like a petrol rather than a diesel as the miles I do aren't enough to justify diesel.

I've seen this;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/audi/audi...er-keeper-full-audi-servicehistory/1177348120

Latest MOT is showing the following advisory items;

nearside front lower Ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)
offside front lower Ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)
Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
oil leak on engine
nearside front tyre wearing edges
offside front tyre wearing on edges
front pads low
engine cover fitted
side cover fitted

I am guessing some of the advisory items are age related and should be expected due to the age, mileage and price of the car?

What I am more concerned is the oil leak that is mentioned and having looked on the web it seems to be a feature of the 2.0 TFSI. Is there a common place for these engines to leak oil and do they burn as much as some people say?

Thanks in advance to anybody who managed to the end of my post!

Ive personally not heard of the tfsi's leaking oil, mine certainly doesnt, yes they do use a small amount, but nothing too bad, every 2-4k miles i have to top mine up with a bit, but its not a huge problem, and is quite normal.
The tyre wear i would say is also normal as my fronts wear on the outer edge, i believe its something to do with being quattro as ive had an alignment done.
The advisorys dont look like anything to worry about, the only one i would be slightly concerned about is the oil leak, but you might find its nothing major and can live with it, so worth a look in my opinion as it looks like a nice car.

Thanks for the quick reply, I think the info I was looking at on the web was not related to the Audi specifically. The seller tells me it is going in for a service today in any event and so I've said to him that I'd like to see some proof that its been looked at and is/isn't an issue.

well if you're going to go with a petrol then you have certainly looking at the right model there , the special eds 220 avant is a very nice choice, but i'd say that anyway as I have one also ....
One of the bonus point of this variant is that it uses the BUL engine which is a better and preferred unit , it does still have it week points , oil leaks should not be one of them though, id be inclined to get the leak check and identified before making a purchase.
other items are pretty normal across the Quattro variants aswell.
looks like a nice car ,but, they can be total nightmares when they go wrong so make sure it does what it should do on a test drive and check whats been done to it, such as cam follow change, coil packs etc, Dv valve replacement , at that milage a lot should have been done , if theres no history of all the crucial parts being done , and there are a fair few aswell as the above , receipts for work and parts, walk away as its not worth the gamble, trust me , been there and can write a book on the subject.

do a search on the forum on known issues with the petrol tfsi avants and you'll get a better insight asto what may be involved etc.
good luck.