Facelift A3 Window Fault

The Kendragon

Reaction score
My car has another fault! So far I’ve had a handbrake that auto-disengages (neutral gear sensor replaced), an ABS fault where all the wheels lock up (garage couldn’t replicate), rear parking sensors that aren’t available (not yet looked at) and now a front passenger side window that goes down on its own and no longer auto closes (you have to hold the button until it’s shut).

The car is booked in on the 27th for the parking sensors and a four wheel alignment due to me hitting a pot hole a few weeks back. It’s just been issue after issue for the past three months and it’s doing my head in.... Anyone had issues like this?

Thanks,

Steven :)

Never had a thing go wrong in the 3 years I had the pfl A3 and so far no issues with my 2018 A3.

Maybe you got a Friday afternoon car, hope you get it sorted asap mate,

Never had a thing go wrong in the 3 years I had the pfl A3 and so far no issues with my 2018 A3.

Maybe you got a Friday afternoon car, hope you get it sorted asap mate,
Thanks, hopefully it is sorted soon. I think it’s hit and miss with these A3s like me, @AudiNutta, @Mark_86 and a few others have discovered :(

Reactions: AudiNutta and Mark_86
Just remember, there isn't a car manufacturer out there who doesn't sometimes get one or two issues with the cars they produce. This is true whether the car is a day old, a year old or 12 years old, it just happens and it doesn't matter if it's a Rolls Royce or a Citroen.

Unfortunately it's a lottery, you could leave Audi and get a BMW/Ford/Mercedes/Aston Martin and STILL get a Friday afternoon car, such is the joy of car ownership.

Reactions: The Kendragon
Sorry to hear you've got more problems @GTAIVgunner ... hope they get it fixed quickly mate.

Just remember, there isn't a car manufacturer out there who doesn't sometimes get one or two issues with the cars they produce. This is true whether the car is a day old, a year old or 12 years old, it just happens and it doesn't matter if it's a Rolls Royce or a Citroen.

Unfortunately it's a lottery, you could leave Audi and get a BMW/Ford/Mercedes/Aston Martin and STILL get a Friday afternoon car, such is the joy of car ownership.
Very true mate, I'll just keep taking it in until it's right :(

Reactions: Audi Bairn

True. It's more how they deal with such issues that would sway me to stay or go.

Reactions: glospete, Carefree69 and The Kendragon
Window is an easy one Steve!

The window is dropping back down (an inch or two?) because it thinks there is something there like your fingers. It won’t auto-close because it has lost its settings. Press and hold your window switch until it closes but DONT release, continue to hold for another 5 or so seconds and try again. Your window should now auto close and not open itself back up.

Windows do lose their settings every now and again, I believe it all works on the effort the motor puts in to close them because if you jammed it shut it would stop and be unable to raise.

@GTAIVgunner

Last edited:
Window is an easy one Steve!

The window is dropping back down (an inch or two?) because it thinks there is something there like your fingers. It won’t auto-close because it has lost its settings. Press and hold your window switch until it closes but DONT release, continue to hold for another 5 or so seconds and try again. Your window should now auto close and not open itself back up.

Windows do lose their settings every now and again, I believe it all works on the effort the motor puts in to close them because if you jammed it shut it would stop and be unable to raise.

@GTAIVgunner
Thanks mate, I did try this but it makes a horrible noise when moving. Also (before doing the reset) the glass was coming right back down but wouldn't completely go into the door. It sounds a bit like a roller is scraping off the glass :(

Thanks mate, I did try this but it makes a horrible noise when moving. Also (before doing the reset) the glass was coming right back down but wouldn't completely go into the door. It sounds a bit like a roller is scraping off the glass :(

Not good! Time to get rid of this lemon.

Sounds like a fault I had on a previous car. Turned out to be a problem with the window regulator / carrier. Fairly easy to fix but at least yours is covered by warranty.

It's a sh!tter mate but I hope it gets sorted one way or another. You could get this fixed and have no issues for the next 10 years. We are all just one journey away from something going wrong.

Reactions: AudiNutta
It's a sh!tter mate but I hope it gets sorted one way or another. You could get this fixed and have no issues for the next 10 years. We are all just one journey away from something going wrong.
Very true, I’d love to get a Golf GTE but with the few mods I’ve got and the mileage being 24,000 I think I’d struggle to break even :/

Other than a creaking drivers seat because of my fat ****, and the media unit being awful... No

However, one house break in attempt for the car, One actual house break in where the house was tipped upside down for the keys. And also getting keyed (it's just come back from the body shop at work absolutely spot on, top notch jobbie)

Other than a creaking drivers seat because of my fat ****, and the media unit being awful... No

However, one house break in attempt for the car, One actual house break in where the house was tipped upside down for the keys. And also getting keyed (it's just come back from the body shop at work absolutely spot on, top notch jobbie)
You keeping it now then?

Ahhhhhhhheeeehhhhherrrrrraaaaaaaeeeeeehhhhhhhrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaa yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaha nice, I've been on Car Wow this morning looking to chop in the A3 already. It's been in the garage too many times and I've just lost faith in it :( Looking at a range of cars but a 208 will probably be the one. Cheap to run and insure meaning more money can go towards saving for a house (which is the main goal) :D I'm 21, have been driving since February and pay way too much for this A3. It's a shame but needs to be done for now, can't have it all!

Yeah I'm hoping to drop some money on a deposit for a house at 24, and get an rs3 at the same time in 4 years.

What about a polo? Could get you a good deal on one of them bad boys, still german quality!

Yeah I'm hoping to drop some money on a deposit for a house at 24, and get an rs3 at the same time in 4 years.

What about a polo? Could get you a good deal on one of them bad boys, still german quality!
Hahaha we have the same goals then, house and an RS3! I'm not a fan of the Polo unfortunately but we'll see. I think the Audi will be going though as I need to make a change and that's the easiest one to swap (sort of). Got an appointment with Peugeot on Saturday to talk figures and see what's what :)

Reactions: Bitzieee
Hahaha we have the same goals then, house and an RS3! I'm not a fan of the Polo unfortunately but we'll see. I think the Audi will be going though as I need to make a change and that's the easiest one to swap (sort of). Got an appointment with Peugeot on Saturday to talk figures and see what's what :)

Peugeot...

Where is the nearest mod?!?! We need a ban applied here!!!!! :sign ban::sign ban::end of discction:

Reactions: Bitzieee
Hahaha I know, I know! I'll save about £150 a month in car/insurance payments though so it'll help towards a house. Priorities :grimacing:

If that works mate, do what you have to do. End of the day you've got the rest of your life to get a nice car.

Reactions: davemk
If that works mate, do what you have to do. End of the day you've got the rest of your life to get a nice car.
Exactly! I'll stick with the crappier car for a few years while we save for a house and I gain more no claims and then I'll get a nice motor. I've lost faith in this A3 anyway and don't really want another one :grimacing:

Reactions: Tom.H