A3 Sportback rear indicator bulbs

TomL83

Reaction score
I need to change my rear indicator bulbs as Audi reckon they are showing a slight white light and the are recommending I change them. How do I get the light housing out? Can't really see how it comes out. Anyone got a how to guide? It's a 2011 A3 Sportback

20160811 173009

Hi.

To get the light off look inside the boot you can see a cover or tab which comes off. Once you have taken this off you will see a plastic screw. undo this and the light will come off.

Be carful not to damage your paint when taking it off as it can be a bit of a pain.

Hi.

To get the light off look inside the boot you can see a cover or tab which comes off. Once you have taken this off you will see a plastic screw. undo this and the light will come off.

Be carful not to damage your paint when taking it off as it can be a bit of a pain.

Cheers, thought it would have been a lot more to it than that

Just to add, once you've undone the fixing, the light unit kind of pops out to the side. It's fixed on some plastic lugs that pop in and out of rubber grommets

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Whilst the long plastic nut that secures the light unit to the body is easy enough to undo those side lugs sometimes just don't want to come out of the grommets on the body.....
If this happens I grab a soft plastic kitchen spatula that I keep handy for jobs such as this and carefully insert it at a 45 degree angle where the lense curves around the body and give it a gentle twist.
Not much force is needed and you need to be careful otherwise there is a risk of breaking off the lugs on the light unit.
A plastic spatula means there's no risk of damage to paintwork or light unit, it's worked a treat for me.

Whilst the long plastic nut that secures the light unit to the body is easy enough to undo those side lugs sometimes just don't want to come out of the grommets on the body.....
If this happens I grab a soft plastic kitchen spatula that I keep handy for jobs such as this and carefully insert it at a 45 degree angle where the lense curves around the body and give it a gentle twist.
Not much force is needed and you need to be careful otherwise there is a risk of breaking off the lugs on the light unit.
A plastic spatula means there's no risk of damage to paintwork or light unit, it's worked a treat for me.
Agreed, they can be pesky little blighters!

Agreed.

I changed a bulb out the other day and when I put the light back in it looked a bit out of line.

anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
Re assembly spray wd 40 on the grommet or a dab of grease pops in nicely then.