1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

A3 Sportback CarPlay issue

Scott Nevett Oct 9, 2020

1. Scott Nevett

Scott Nevett New Member

Hi all. Took delivery of my new A3 Sportback S Line a couple of weeks ago.

I’m having an issue with CarPlay. The MMI screen intermittently flashes black when in use. I’ve changed cables and tried both types of USB ports and the problem persists. iPhone is up to date too.

Has anyone had the same issue with a new A3 or is it a known fault with other models?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Euans2

Euans2 Registered User

I've had similar issues with mines, sometimes it wont connect which can be really frustrating, especially when I have to get out the car, lock it up, reopen and start again, it normally works after that. I spoke to Audi UK and they said that there isn't any updates available yet.

4. Scott Nevett

Scott Nevett New Member

Still not been able to have this resolved as of yet. Anyone else experienced this ‘cutting out to black’ issue?

5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I assume you've updated the phone to the latest iOS? Some owners of different cars were also experiencing something similar with version 13..
    Anything in here helps? https://appletoolbox.com/carplay-not-working-after-ios-update-how-to-fix/

6. Scott Nevett

Scott Nevett New Member

Thanks. Yes, phone is up to date. Only seems to cut out to black and back on for a second. Done some more testing and it’s only when driving too. It’s possibly a hardware issue with the usb module.

7. Ray88

Ray88 New Member

I picked my new A3 8Y last week and been having the same issue. Happens both when the phone is connected by USB and wirelessly, so don't think it's a USB/connection issue. I've got an iPhone X on the latest iOS version.

I've also had a whole bunch of other electronics-related issues - MMI randomly restarting whilst I'm driving, microphone stopped working for a few hours, warning flashes up saying "electrical fault - safely stop vehicle" and goes away after a few seconds. Not great after just a week of having the car.

Having it all looked at by the local Audi dealer this week, so will update if they can resolve the CarPlay issue too!

8. blythy

blythy New Member

I haven’t been able to connect wirelessly with CarPlay. Is there a setting I’m missing?

I also have the same problem with the screen cutting to black, at first I though it was just when driving over a bump but it’s just very random. And also very distracting while driving

9. Ray88

Ray88 New Member

I believe at the moment the wireless CarPlay is only available on the models that come with 2x USB-C ports (rather than 1x USB-A + 1x USB-C), which have been installed on the A3s built from September onwards I think, but it will be available for everyone via a software update at some point - at least that's what my dealer told me.

Fred_T likes this.
  10. rockstar

rockstar Registered User

Hi all,finally returned to Audi after having had 3 mercedes over the last few years ,have to say it feels good to be back in one.I picked up my car yesterday and it’s having the same issue of blacking out for a split second, iPhone connected wireless aswell.It’s not a huge issue at the moment but clearly something isn’t quite right hopefully an update will fix,otherwise loving the car so far !

11. Moots

Moots Registered User

I’ve got the same issue, just flashes black for a second then goes back to normal. I’ve only connected wirelessly so thought it might be loss of connection briefly but it’s quite annoying.

anyone had any joy with getting this fixed yet?

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Scott Nevett

Scott Nevett New Member

I haven’t had the time to sort out with a local dealer. I’m hoping I can over the Christmas break. Hopefully a software update will fix it.

14. auzzam_crd

auzzam_crd Member

Hoping to provide everyone with an update to this later on, we might have a potential explanation to the cause of the random warning lights we have all been experiencing, the video goes live at 7 tonight, hope to see you there:

15. ADE2000

ADE2000 New Member

16. ADE2000

ADE2000 New Member

Hi Scott,

My Mrs has the same issue with her iphone in our new A3 8y. Very Annoying.

If you discover a solution please let me know.

Ade

17. Moots

Moots Registered User

Same with mine too, I’ve heard nothing back from York Audi, but rubbish with contact but everything is up in the air at the minute with lockdown I suppose.

ADE2000 likes this.
  18. auzzam_crd

auzzam_crd Member

They literally do not have a clue at the moment :(

Is everyone also having the warning lights too or just a flickering mmi?

ADE2000 likes this.
  19. Moots

Moots Registered User

Just the flickering MMI when using CarPlay for me

20. Scott Nevett

Scott Nevett New Member

I’ve been so busy and tied up with work etc I haven’t contacted my local dealer yet. Need to do it really. Still flickering when using CarPlay

21. Moots

Moots Registered User

Dealership have come back to me and said service department are investigating as it’s happening on the salesman’s car as well, they said they’ll confirm when they’ve fixed that and then fit me in with the service department. Will post any updates I get here

ADE2000 likes this.