A3 De-chrome

Dobbie

Reaction score
hi new to the forum and looking for some advice, I have a 2014 white s line and not feeling the chrome. I had the chrome wrapped and wasn’t the best job so pulled it off. Do you guys know where I could get the black styling pack ? Does the chome srtrip come off easily enough? Cheers

Last edited:
Could you try masking and using plastidip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I plasti dipped my chromes and they started to peel of very next day.
Rubber seal around the windows was rubbing on the dipped part and it began to lift.
Took it off, as it was looking horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, I hate the chrome lining.

The easy bit to change is the grill at the front, there are plenty of aftermarket black edition grill options to choose from. (see http://www.xenonz.co.uk/)

The lining around the windows is not so straightforward as posts above have highlighted.

I would recommend wrap as it’s the only solid option.

To get the wrap right in my opinion would need to remove it.

To get the wrap right in my opinion would need to remove it.

Not necessarily. Professional would have no problem with it.

Before plastidip, I had a go on chrome with black electrical tape. It’s thick enough to withstand rubbing and mouldable to extent. This allow slight flexion to go around the chrome curves. Managed to get from front to the back. There my A6 have quite tricky angled corner of the boot window and could not go around it in one piece. Also, tape wasn’t wide enough in that spot. Would need to join it and wanted to avoid that.
Chrome trim on the doors, below the windows was also easy.
When I got the wider tape, I started from the back boot window and going around that stupid corner.
Failed as wider tape was even thicker and could not mould as easily as smaller one.

I would get it wrapped again but I had a company do it and honestly what a mess and put me off. You must be able to buy the black trim as my mate has the black style pack on his car. Will maybe try Audi see if they would sell it

I would get it wrapped again but I had a company do it and honestly what a mess and put me off. You must be able to buy the black trim as my mate has the black style pack on his car. Will maybe try Audi see if they would sell it

I've been debating to plastic dip my chrom trim and in the end took the vinyl option, yes getting the trim off would be easier but its not a simple pull off job I dont think. I'm happy to be corrected because that would make the job 100% easier but once I get my vinyl wrap I'll have to spend an afternoon trying to self teach and get it sorted.

if you end up finding the part number and know how to pull of the trim let me know too!

There are two main "base" types, and one of the types has multiple "finisher" configurations. Look at an A3 1.whatever TSI that has absolutely zero options. See the moulded rubber window and door trim? That's one "base" type. The other is what comes on cars with chrome, black pack, or some other type of "finisher" seated in the base. This distinction really only applies to the trim along the top of the doors, at the roofline. The lower edge trim is a solid piece, more or less, no matter the appearance.

Now... going between chrome and black for the finisher along the upper edges is not incredibly difficult. The pieces are held in by small clips that serve to align and secure the trim. But the bottom edge? Last I researched, I recall that requires more disassembly. So, you're going to have to go into deeper disassembly regardless, so why not source the base all-rubber trim instead? That would mean you'll also have to completely replace the rubber running along the top edge, but the result is trim that you won't have to worry about becoming marred or misaligned. Just look at the B-pillar trim on any Audi to see what marring on their black pack trim looks like. And I've dealt with misalignment- which, while an easy fix, why even bother?

The other perk is that you can probably find someone who wants the chrome setup in place of the base rubber trim, so it should be a cash-neutral affair, if not a moneymaker for you since you'd be contributing the "higher" spec trim.

Plasti dip isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Granted, it’s ok for a day or two (maybe more) but it is temporary.....therefore why bother?

Plasti dip isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Granted, it’s ok for a day or two (maybe more) but it is temporary.....therefore why bother?

I found out about it the hard way.

Spend whole day (actually one afternoon and next day morning) taping and applying foil to cover the unnecessary parts, than prepping trims and finally dipping it.
Few days after I noticed first rips in the dip.
Couple more days after I pulled it off.
Left dip applied only on chrome trim parts of the door handles and at the bottom of the doors.

If could do it again, would choose the vinyl over dip.

Reactions: Carefree69
I think it does actually.

For the window chrome delete, I would choose vinyl but all other pieces I have applied dip onto, it is great.
Got dipped grille black matt and rear diffusor insert.
Silver matt side mirror housing, rear diffusor and ring badges.
Love to work with dip, it’s application and peeling off.
It is understandable that it will not be as strong as permanent paint or vinyl but still great product.

Never actually got a chance to do the whole car but in here again, would choose vinyl.

Small bits and bobs is easier to dip than wrap and bigger is better to wrap than dip, for life span.

Thats my opinion only

This guy Yannimize and he’s crew from London, who wrap those celebs super cars, they do really great work.
Seen on YT.

But recently, a member here is showing off he’s wrapping skills.
There was a mentioning about some ASN members discount for wraps.
Will try to look him up

Found him: @saq85

He’s latest work look wicked

Reactions: saq85
Fonzie does some amazing things with PlastiDip. It's come a long way from being a tool handle cover sold in a small drum at a tool store.

I still think it looks lame up close in person, but I've probably only seen half-assed applications.

Reactions: KrisKrk

I was in the same boat as you. I had the trims wrapped. I kinda liked them at first, but my OCD got into me and the wrap just didn't feel right. It felt fake and it would never be "perfect".

Like you, I had taken them off. I now appreciate the chrome more than before that I have seen it with and without.

It will cost a fortune to replace all the trims with OEM black optics trim. You might as well get a new car. Yes, I have asked for quote for those.

Recommendation: Just live with and start liking the chrome or just trade into a black optics car...